Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Still buggy and super frustrating!

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By C0V3RT

I loved me some Fallout 3. After all the DLC had come and gone, I dropped 80 hours, 15 minutes, and 19 seconds into that game. I enjoyed that game so much I went out and got Fallout and Fallout 2 on the PC because I really got hooked into the whole Fallout concept. Naturally, Fallout: New Vegas was my most anticipated game of 2010. 

I picked up the game on release day but because of a pending business trip, decided I'd put off playing the game outside of the first hour or two until I got back - thus allowing me to immerse myself in the game over a weekend upon my return. During my trip, I began reading about all the bugs that were plaguing the game and decided I'd wait for the "comprehensive patch" Obsidian promised.  

Having played some Oblivion and Fallout 3, I'm used to bugs and gameplay "quirks". But even post patch, this game is near unplayable for me. Before anyone suggests it, I cleared the game off my hard drive and created a new character after the patch was released, so I don't think it's pulling cached game data.

I put the game back in about 3 weeks ago but really started putting some heavy hours in over the last few weeks. I'm about 18 hours in. I started keeping track of bugs after about 5 hours of gameplay, this is what I've encountered so far. 

• Lock picking glitch. Whenever I attempt to pick a lock, if I don't get it right the first time whenever I move the bobby pin it's like the right stick is stuck in the left position so it attempts to open the lock. This requires me to exit the lock picking mini game. This causes two things. First, I can't immediately look to the right and have to hold the right analog stick to the right for a good 5 seconds. In addition, the noise the lock makes while it's trying to unlock loops in the background. This means if I fail a lock pick sequence 10 times, there are 10 different loops of this sound that will play and will continue to play until I load a save. 
    • Losing companions. I lost EDE-E and Veronica at Nellis airforce base. I was able to find Veronica but whenever I went to where the map said EDE-E was, he was gone. No problem, right? I could just go get Rex. Wrong. Rex wouldn't join because the game still recognized EDE-E as being in my party. Thankfully it was only an hour of progress lost loading an old save.
    • Drop in frame rate after death. I don't die often but if I die and select "Continue" the game loads from my last save but is super choppy. I can get around this through just by selecting "Load" after I die.
    • Hard freezes. I've had the game freeze 3 times while just walking around and 2 more times during load screens.

I still want to power through the game over the next few days so I can free myself for Dead Space 2. Jeff's review was pretty spot on that even with the bugs, it's a game worth playing because when it works, it's what you'd want from a modern Fallout game.
    C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By C0V3RT

I loved me some Fallout 3. After all the DLC had come and gone, I dropped 80 hours, 15 minutes, and 19 seconds into that game. I enjoyed that game so much I went out and got Fallout and Fallout 2 on the PC because I really got hooked into the whole Fallout concept. Naturally, Fallout: New Vegas was my most anticipated game of 2010. 

I picked up the game on release day but because of a pending business trip, decided I'd put off playing the game outside of the first hour or two until I got back - thus allowing me to immerse myself in the game over a weekend upon my return. During my trip, I began reading about all the bugs that were plaguing the game and decided I'd wait for the "comprehensive patch" Obsidian promised.  

Having played some Oblivion and Fallout 3, I'm used to bugs and gameplay "quirks". But even post patch, this game is near unplayable for me. Before anyone suggests it, I cleared the game off my hard drive and created a new character after the patch was released, so I don't think it's pulling cached game data.

I put the game back in about 3 weeks ago but really started putting some heavy hours in over the last few weeks. I'm about 18 hours in. I started keeping track of bugs after about 5 hours of gameplay, this is what I've encountered so far. 

• Lock picking glitch. Whenever I attempt to pick a lock, if I don't get it right the first time whenever I move the bobby pin it's like the right stick is stuck in the left position so it attempts to open the lock. This requires me to exit the lock picking mini game. This causes two things. First, I can't immediately look to the right and have to hold the right analog stick to the right for a good 5 seconds. In addition, the noise the lock makes while it's trying to unlock loops in the background. This means if I fail a lock pick sequence 10 times, there are 10 different loops of this sound that will play and will continue to play until I load a save. 
    • Losing companions. I lost EDE-E and Veronica at Nellis airforce base. I was able to find Veronica but whenever I went to where the map said EDE-E was, he was gone. No problem, right? I could just go get Rex. Wrong. Rex wouldn't join because the game still recognized EDE-E as being in my party. Thankfully it was only an hour of progress lost loading an old save.
    • Drop in frame rate after death. I don't die often but if I die and select "Continue" the game loads from my last save but is super choppy. I can get around this through just by selecting "Load" after I die.
    • Hard freezes. I've had the game freeze 3 times while just walking around and 2 more times during load screens.

I still want to power through the game over the next few days so I can free myself for Dead Space 2. Jeff's review was pretty spot on that even with the bugs, it's a game worth playing because when it works, it's what you'd want from a modern Fallout game.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

I've not encountered any bugs at all.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By C0V3RT
    @CL60: How far in are you? 

Edit: That's what she said.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CL60
    @C0V3RT said:
    " @CL60: How far in are you?  Edit: That's what she said. "
    Like 30ish hours.
    C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By C0V3RT
    @CL60: Good on you then I suppose, but that's super frustrating for me to hear.
    KittenMitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By KittenMitten

I too haven't  experienced any significant bugs (just a little open world jank) and I've put about 150 hours in.  There are times when the loading slows way down, but a simple restart seems to fix it.  Far from unplayable in my eyes. 

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Skytylz

Do you have a fat 360?  I do and I have tons of problems.  I wonder if the people that aren't having issues are maybe playing on slims.  

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By C0V3RT

Ugh. I guess I can try to clear my cache again and download the update... again. 

At least others are being able to enjoy the game.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By kingzetta

The bugs are so bad I almost want a refund

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By C0V3RT
    @Skytylz said:
    " Do you have a fat 360?  I do and I have tons of problems.  I wonder if the people that aren't having issues are maybe playing on slims.   "
    Nope, it's a slim.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Skytylz
    @kingzetta said:
    " The bugs are so bad I almost want a refund "
    I'm in the same boat, last time I played it took over a minute every time I have to load an area.
    C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By C0V3RT
    @Skytylz said:

" @kingzetta said:

" The bugs are so bad I almost want a refund "
    I'm in the same boat, last time I played it took over a minute every time I have to load an area. "
    I run into that problem too and have to quit to the dashboard and reload which seems to fix the problem.
    kyelb22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kyelb22

That sucks. I'm a good 30-some hours in and I haven't experienced anything nearly that bad. I've had my gun/arm disappear and reappear and seen enemies walking in the ground, but that's about it. I feel for you, man, it's an awesome game that sadly still needs some more patches.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By 234r2we232

I'm a mere 15 hours in, the game (which is installed to the X360 HDD, btw) is now almost unplayable due to what I can only describe as severe performance lag. It's mostly triggered by VATS, but really I have no idea what could be causing it. Also, the load times suddenly became ridiculously long, and sometimes the game doesn't respond to button presses (example being I can only occasionally skip the initial Terminal load-up screen). And this is POST big patch update? Anything that needs to be patched up this much cannot be a good game. I'm sorry.  Between this and Lara Croft: Guardian of Light online, I feel like I've been playing nothing but broken games recently. Not sure I ever want to buy another Bethesda or Obsidian game again.

And as it has been said about Fallout 3, that game has it's own issues but I've had one character save that is 90+ hours and the worst problem has been the occasional freeze. 15 hours in, not sure I want to play anymore New Vegas :/

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I play on PC and the only bugs i encounter are enemies that are stuck,and thats not to often, other then that an occasional freeze or crash, but for the most part it works pretty well.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By C0V3RT
    @Kyelb22: Thanks for the sympathy! 
    C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By C0V3RT

So I've reinstalled the game, cleared the cache and redownloaded the patch, everything is still happening. I had two more lock ups last night and when Veronica got knocked out, literally fell through the ground to what I can only presume is the bottom of the mountain... or hell.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I've been playing for about 30 hours, with few problems. I've had it crash on me 3 times, and I got stuck in the terrain once.

Also, I have had a lot of weird but funny glitches. Like an two NPC's that had fused together and where floating all around the town I was in.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By ShadowKnight508

I have only had minor lag issues along with the occasional freezing issue with my copy of New Vegas on the PS3. Around 45 hours in and I stopped playing due since it keeps freezing when doing the 3rd part of the Wildcard mission for Mr. House.

Simulacrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By Simulacrum

I really only started getting problems when i was 70 plus hours in. The game started locking up quite a bit, which was unfortunate. Still hasn't stopped me from enjoying the hell out of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I don't care about bugs, loading times on the other hand... yeah, they made me put the game up on eBay pretty' damn quick.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By C0V3RT

So I just completed the game after 40 hours and 19 minutes. Clearing the cache and reinstalling the patch kind of helped. I still ran into the lock picking thing I mentioned but it was less frequent. Still had framerate issues and a ton more lock ups. 

Downloaded Dead Money but guess I'll loop back around it to. I've had enough fighting with this game the last few weeks. I also kind of boned myself and saved over my point where I could still assist any faction.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By C0V3RT

Oh and the ending was only slightly less awful then Fallout 3.

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#24  Edited By Ben99

This game should have been developed by a Japanese developer . The whole series .

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By pweidman

Yeah I just finished my second ending and after 120 hrs, and finding every location, I'm done.  The game's great.  I liked it better than FO3, but the bugs, glitches, freezes, and overall obscene amount of jank just wears on you.  I'll pass on any DLC or bothering to finish the other 2 endings.  Just had enough.  Oh and my guess is once you begin to build hrs, stats, corpses, and especially various inventories, the game's engine just can't keep up.  I ended up clearing the cache every play to keep it running somewhat reasonably. 

God I hope the new engine for ES:5 is much better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.