Vinnie's cheating and Jeff's complaining. Is it justified?

• 117 results
#51 Posted by christ0phe (952 posts) -
@UberExplodey said:
" ...so says Mr. Stewart. "
#52 Posted by Infininja (881 posts) -

I haven't read a single post of yours because of the format. I actively avoid news sites that format like that because it's a pain in the ass to read, constantly having to move from line to line. It's MORE work.

#53 Posted by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -
@christ0phe said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor:   The more you type, the more I actually want to kill you "
I totally agree. 

Also I played Fallout:NV for about 30 minutes until I died and used demi-god mode for the rest of the game and still really enjoyed it.
#54 Posted by huntad (1940 posts) -

Goodness just stfu and get off the crew's balls. Let them play however and say whatever they want. If it affects you then go cry. 
Sorry to everyone else. I tried to keep it civilized, but I couldn't contain myself. I apologize. =(

#55 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

This poem doesn't even rhyme.

#56 Posted by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

The way I see it: Fallout New Vegas cheats you. It's only fair that you cheat back. 

#57 Posted by mano521 (1224 posts) -

Its a single player game. how someone plays it doesnt need justification. its their game to enjoy whatever way they see fit 

dont 
use  
enter 
so  
much

#58 Posted by rjayb89 (7722 posts) -

Dude, what the fuck.  Why are we even having this discussion. 

#59 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -

I don't see why it matters. Its a single player game and he is doing it so he can enjoy the game more. Its not like he is playing online, screwing people over and being malicious with it.  

Seriously, its stupid that Vinny doing that is actually bothering people.

#60 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

Let Vinny do what the hell he wants in a single player game.  He isn't going to ruin your experience with a single player game.  The command prompt is in the game for a reason.

#61 Posted by krystians (403 posts) -

I don't like when people cheat online because it affects me. But what Vinny is doing, I don't care for in the slightest, and neither should you. It's his copy and experience, not yours. I get why he is doing it, and I don't know if I would do it too, but whatevs.

#62 Posted by stinky (1549 posts) -

vinny never said 
bugs were the reason,  
he said he didnt have the time.  

as well as mentioning vinny playing casually,  
they also talked about bugs.       

later on they mentioned hot dogs,  
but to my knowledge,  
those were as well not a  reason 
for vinny's gameplay habits.

sometimes people talk about 
multiple things, 
but 
its not necessarily a good idea to 
link the ideas directly.
#63 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

Fuck you, and whoever else keeps trying to tell people how to play games.

#64 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I can't take someone seriously who can't even spell his name correctly. :/

#65 Posted by Jimbo (9813 posts) -

Dudes can totally play it how they want, and I'll value their opinion on the game how I want.  Seems reasonable.

Would be interesting to see whether people still considered using the command console a "totally viable way to play the game" if it were done during the review process.  I suspect in that case it would suddenly be considered "less totally viable" or something.

#66 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

I have no problem with
    what Vinnie
Did.

Before I ever
    Completed
Deus ex,
    I was using the console
to fly oh so high
    above the statue
Of Liberty,
    dropping HE grenades on waves of
Geunters.

That was damn
    Fun.  I dare you to tell me
That was anything but fun.

Oh btw-
    It took like
10 years
    Before I
Completed
    The Game.

#67 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

This is blowing my mind. Every time I see a topic where a guy admits to cheating everybody jumps on him and tells him to play the game as it was intended and yells at him. But when Vinny does it everybody says he can play the game how he wants.

#68 Edited by bybeach (4831 posts) -
@CL60 said:

"This is blowing my mind. Every time I see a topic where a guy admits to cheating everybody jumps on him and tells him to play the game as it was intended and yells at him. But when Vinny does it everybody says he can play the game how he wants. "

Add poetry format and idol pics. 

The console does serve a function though, and altering something in the console, particularly for mods and well cheats, is as old as mud. I've tried a mod or 2(not good at it) but I'm still tempted with this game, and hell, suppossedly it made Stalker. And of course, always to see fps rate. 

I guess accessing the console is/was an option of Pc gaming. I hate to say it, but it was an early way in gaming of getting past broken sections of  some games. As much as I loved Vietcong for example, there was one section I should have thought to tried something in the console ,  just to get past the  jam. So it's not without precedent.
#69 Posted by Fenrisulfr (141 posts) -
@Lind_L_Taylor said:  Well you could roam to every mark on the map prior to starting 
your missions so you can fast track.  This is a rule of post-apocalyptic 
environments.  I like it that way personally.  It focuses more on the
survival aspects & not just some quick "I'm done on now on to the next
game" type of mentality.

We both know how impractical and unfun that'd be though.  There's nothing wrong with a slower paced game, but sometimes the distance you need to cross is agonizingly long, this sometimes multiplied when there's a giant rock formation in front of you that prevent you from going in a straight line.  I can see where clipping or revealing the entire map would come in handy.  After all, you ARE a courier, no?  You do courier stuff in towns other than Goodsprings, right?
#70 Posted by Fenrisulfr (141 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" This is blowing my mind. Every time I see a topic where a guy admits to cheating everybody jumps on him and tells him to play the game as it was intended and yells at him. But when Vinny does it everybody says he can play the game how he wants. "
The only time I have a problem with people cheating is when they're playing online with other people.  In single player, I don't care.  In the public arena?  Sure.  Hiding in rocks, glitching explosives and super jumping gets really annoying.
#71 Posted by ToxicFruit (1717 posts) -
@Mr_Skeleton: exactly  
he is not reviewing so it is not affecting you in any way , let the man play the game he bought how he likes !
#72 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5263 posts) -
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
" @arab_prince said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
"   Look at all that hate. Man!  I don't care if Vinnie cheats. But Jeff brought up game-breaking as the excuse for him to do it in the podcast. I gotta call nonsense on that.  I wasn't like trying to bash Vinnie by saying something like:    "I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating."   LOL. "
its not a multi player game, so cheating doesn't really effect anyone, and isn't really classified as "cheating". It is a system the developers put in there for the gamer to use. It's not even like he is using a glitch either. He isn't breaking the game in any way.   You can look at it as an "easy mode". There is hardcore mode right? The devs put that in for anyone to use. Well they also put in an easy mode for those who want it. "
Actually I do believe there is even a Very Easy setting. I mean, wow. Why do you need a cheat code when you can mow it all down?  Another option, you could just read the spoilers in advance & just copy that & use Very Easy.  Honestly, to me cheating is boring & robs yourself of the experience. I'm not really doing a lot of Vinnie-bashing here, but why even bother to play it?  What is up with all the comments about my columnar format? It should be easier to read as you're limiting your eye movement to a small section of space. :-P  I'm doing it to help you guys, dangit. "
Cheating in a game like that is fun I'm guessing especially with the stuff you can have him do from what Vinny was saying.  The developers don't care so why should you.  He enjoys playing it his way more and you can play through your way but he might not find the same level of enjoyment.
#73 Posted by ajamafalous (11996 posts) -
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
" Vinnie "
Fuck you.
#74 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -

What's really funny is that the podcast brought up something 
about Vinnie's cheating ways on another forum.  Before the podcast
& Vinnie bringing it up, I had never heard anything about it.
If it wasn't a big deal, then why get all self-conscious about it
& even bother to bring it up?  Does he believe that his own
cheating would tarnish his reputation?  Let the evidence speak
for itself.  Of course I don't think it's a big deal. I said that from
the start.

So I brought it up here & got a lot of nerd rage reply.  It's
called Freedom of Speech for  a reason & I haven't slandered
nor dissed anybody, only pointed out the flaws that were 
mentioned.

Nevertheless:
 “The first and worst of all frauds is to cheat one's self. All sin is easy after that.”
:-)

For Shame!  LOL!

PS:   I reall like the stanzas some of you guys are using, even
if it was sarcasm.  Why shouldn't everyone write like poetry?
Pretty up the Internet...

#75 Posted by natetodamax (19207 posts) -

The fact that people got upset at Vinny for using the console in a single player game just blows my mind.

#76 Posted by InfamousBIG (3201 posts) -
@zegolf said:
" What's up with your formatting? "
It's poetry. 

Also, yes and yes.
#77 Posted by needforswede (492 posts) -

This is kind of pointless, why do you care about Vinny cheating and Jeff being slightly wrong about something?  Was it justified?  What does that even mean?  Justified by who?  Who's policing what is or isn't "fair" to say about a game, or how one "should" play it?

#78 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -
@Muttinus_Rump said:
" I just read that like a poem.  EDIT: Also, no. "
Went back and did, I'm less angry at the OP now. 

By the way, OP I have lost 7 hours because I was on like two saves and they all got corrupted some reason, but I just restarted and used the console to boost my way back to where I was.  Also, fuck you and I enjoy enabling God Mode when I come up on a ton of deathclaws in a cave and want to see whats in there and I also love turning clipping off and getting to the locations I can see the blank arrows on on my map.  I also like using it to get the items I need when a quest breaks.
#79 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11025 posts) -

Vinny isn't cheating for the sake of making it easier, he's cheating so that he doesn't miss anything. 

#80 Posted by Blair (2507 posts) -
@christ0phe said:
" Oh fuck you, Vinny can play the game however he wants and Jeff can say whatever he wants  It's not hurting you, so quit fucking complaining. "
#81 Posted by Undeadpool (4943 posts) -
@Lind_L_Taylor: Ok, two things: 
1) How does his cheating affect you? 
2) If Bethesda/Obsidian didn't want it to be used, why leave it in?
#82 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

The only reason I might be able to see someone being upset by cheating in the single player is if Vinny was reviewing the game.

#83 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

Cool formatting, bro. 
Everyone has their own opinions and ways to play, brah.

#84 Posted by IBurningStar (2173 posts) -

Posting in 
the worst thread 
of the week/month.

#85 Posted by supermike6 (3564 posts) -

Ummm, did anyone read the fucking post or just the title? He's just trying to give advice, not berate them for cheating.

#86 Posted by neoepoch (1295 posts) -

Console commands have been in PC games since the dawn of time. They are meant to be used at the player's discretion and if it makes their gameplay experience better then by all means use it. By your logic mods should also not be used because "you are changing the game experience". If I can make the game better then I will do so as I please. I had a quest that I could not finish because I hit the level cap and could not raise my explosive skills to the level needed to proceed with a quest. It was frustrating and unfun. Without the console I'd have no  way to finish that quest.

Also trying to justify your annoying formatting as "prettying up the internet" is just showing how pompous you are by dictating how much better you are then everyone else because you are making the internet "better".

#87 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -
@Undeadpool said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor: Ok, two things: 1) How does his cheating affect you? 2) If Bethesda/Obsidian didn't want it to be used, why leave it in? "
1.)  It doesn't.
2.)  *shrugs shoulders*

I'd use the cheats if I was gonna do module building for the
game.  I don't know if they included it in the New Vegas PC
version.  I hope so.  It'll give me a reason to buy the PC 
version later when the price comes down (I own the Xbox
Collector's Edition).
#88 Posted by Bongos (186 posts) -

On the other hand I hate fast travelling to other factions and forgetting that I'm wearing enemy armor even though my helmets off. 

I'M LOOKING AT YOU BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL POWER ARMOR AND NCR BASES!

#89 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -
@supermike6 said:
" Ummm, did anyone read the fucking post or just the title? He's just trying to give advice, not berate them for cheating. "
That's what I thought too.  Just saw the title & went into a nerd
rage.  I seem to be often misunderstood when I post something.
#90 Edited by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Let them play how they play, also,  
what the 
hell is 
with your 
formatting 
jesus christ 
#91 Posted by pewpewlazer (56 posts) -

You don't 
know how 
paragraphs work 

also this topic 
is pointless

#92 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Meh, all of you are playing Fallout wrong anyway. 
This is the only REAL way to play it 

#93 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Look guys, anecdotal evidence, that must mean everyone else is lying! LOGIC

#94 Posted by aacx97 (52 posts) -

Vinny inspired me to use console commands.

#95 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@JoeyIA said:
" @zegolf said:
" What's up with your formatting? "
"
oh he is just a dumb cunt who thinks its unique to type differently
#96 Posted by Milkman (16800 posts) -

No way in fuck I'm going read all that in that retarded format. 

#97 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1456 posts) -
@TeflonBilly said:
"Meh, all of you are playing Fallout wrong anyway. 
This is the only REAL way to play it 

"

The fuck? Where the hell did you find that, it has to be some sick 4chan bastard, right?
#98 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

"I didn't experience any bugs in my playthrough.  Anyone who does must either be an idiot or have a terrible comp.  Or maybe he's just a hater who is clearly out to soil this game's good reputation!"

x1000 posts across the forums.

#99 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Levio said:

" "I didn't experience any bugs in my playthrough.  Anyone who does must either be an idiot or have a terrible comp.  Or maybe he's just a hater who is clearly out to soil this game's good reputation!"  x1000 posts across the forums. "

x2 retards. You must be Bethesda's betatesters. Anyhow, the game was patched once, so I guess Obsidian are haters for fixing problems that never existed.
#100 Posted by nukesniper (1312 posts) -
@christ0phe said:
" Oh fuck you, Vinny can play the game however he wants and Jeff can say whatever he wants  It's not hurting you, so quit fucking complaining. "
This. 

Is he going to be insulted that I'm not going to be playing the game until all that DLC is out? Imagine my world! All this crazy crap happening in it that didn't happen for the first people that bought the game.  I did that with Fallout 3, and is it wrong that I found the Firebrand (Mothership Zeta rare weapon that drops in a random UFO crash) during my first mission of the game? Nope. No one has merit to complain about how others play a game, as long as it doesn't affect other people playing the game. People who exploit MW2 so they can have fun cheating while I'm trying to have fun playing normally are wrong. People who use console commands to remove some unwanted stress from a game are only improving their experience, not subtracting from someone else's experience. 

I used the console in Fallout 3 on PC to get myself all 1550 gamerscore in it once I found out that my computer was going to make playing that game a low framerate hell. Do you judge me? I bought the GotY edition later for the Xbox and then got all the gamerscore there as well. But I used a FAQ for some of it. If using the console to open a door is cheating, then using a FAQ to make sure I didn't miss any bobbleheads MUST have been cheating on Fallout 3. I'm sorry that I ruined Fallout for no one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.