Vinnie's cheating and Jeff's complaining. Is it justified?

• 117 results
#101 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

this whole thing was a total LOL for me..   thank you guys! (specially OP)

#102 Posted by Hector (3346 posts) -

Vinny can play the game however he wants so can anyone. End.

#103 Posted by Deusoma (2972 posts) -
@christ0phe said:
" Oh fuck you, Vinny can play the game however he wants and Jeff can say whatever he wants  It's not hurting you, so quit fucking complaining. "
@jadeskye said:
" OH NO JEFF DOESN'T LIKE THIS PART OF THE GAME! THIS MAKES ME ENJOY IT LESS! 

ALSO VINNY YOU'RE A CHEATER!

SCREW YOU! "
Seems to me that you two need a hug.
#104 Posted by Egg0 (165 posts) -

Looked like he copied and pasted a whole page of kotaku comments. Stopped reading after the first line.
#105 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

What 
is 
going 
on 
here 

#106 Posted by Hunkulese (2527 posts) -
@Lind_L_Taylor: No justification for cheating? Did you listen to the podcast? He wanted to play a single player game a certain way and had the option of doing so. Has is that not justification enough? He thought it was silly to force you to pump points in lockpicking in order to see everything when you're only planning on playing through once. I totally agree and your "solution" doesn't solve any of the issues he mentioned. He never said he maxed all his levels and skills and turned on god mode. Even if he had why do you care at all. IT'S A SINGLE PLAYER GAME. 

To add to your nonsense you mention one thing you didn't like about what Jeff said then provide a way to glitch to get around it. Sorry buddy but glitching is cheating and if you're so offended that "Vinny" is cheating I don't see how you can continue glitching.
#107 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Is typing like 
this
Justified?

#108 Posted by Gamer_152 (13974 posts) -

It's a small detail but just for the record his name is spelt Vinny. He's allowed to play the game however he likes though, in fact as long as they're not ruining anyone else experiences anyone is allowed to play any game in any fashion they like. Also, Giant Bomb are by no means the only people who have been commenting on the game's technical faults, in the wake of the game's release the internet was awash with stories of glitches and bugs. I wouldn't say they were really just bashing the game on the Bombcast, as overall the Giant Bomb staff seemed to have expressed a strong appreciation for the game; it was given four stars after all. However, it cannot be ignored that the many technical issues with the game are something rather unique to New Vegas and something that can be discussed for long periods of time without ruining the story of the game. I appreciate you trying to give Vinny advice but I think he made his choice about how he was going to play a long time ago. Also again, maybe not a vital point but your posts would be a lot easier to read if they weren't formatted the way they are.

#109 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11005 posts) -

You Know,
He can play it however he wants
Not that I agree with using the console
But what the hell. 
It's a single player game.   
He's not hurting anyone but himself. 

Also,
Why is this thread
so dang huge? 
It's not like any new points 
are being brought up here.

#110 Posted by AgentMOO (186 posts) -

If you buy a game, and the mechanics are driving you nuts go for it! You paid that game, there's no reason you can't use the cheats that the developer put in there to enjoy all of the content. It's better than just tossing the game to the side

#111 Posted by Korwin (2721 posts) -

Why is this post written in verse? 

Also it's up to Vinny to mess around with the game like that in single player (this ain't multi).  Just as long as long as he doesnt expect props for his Steam achievement score :P

#112 Edited by AndrewB (7190 posts) -

I have, to this day, not beaten Starcraft or Brood War entirely without resorting to cheats. If I hadn't cheated way back in 1998, I'd have missed out on an excellent story (relative to video games and the time period we're talking about, because Starcraft's story is a big mess of contrivances to get you into interesting gameplay situations).

#113 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

If that's what he needs to enjoy a single-player game then so be it. It doesn't ruin anyone else's experience, so don't complain about it.

#114 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3960 posts) -
@AndrewB said:

" I have, to this day, not beaten Starcraft or Brood War entirely without resorting to cheats. If I hadn't cheated way back in 1998, I'd have missed out on an excellent story (relative to video games and the time period we're talking about, because Starcraft's story is a big mess of contrivances to get you into interesting gameplay situations). "

Well if the game is too hard, then I guess people will cheat at it.
I usually just avoid games where I have to cheat to win (like a lot
of Japanese console games).  It's too frustrating & monotonous.
Fallout 3 is not so.

@Hunkulese said:

" @Lind_L_Taylor:  To add to your nonsense you mention one thing you didn't like about what Jeff said then provide a way to glitch to get around it. Sorry buddy but glitching is cheating and if you're so offended that "Vinny" is cheating I don't see how you can continue glitching. "

That's not a glitch.  He attacked first, so maybe that counts against
the NPC.  If I had attacked first then on my head it be.  As far as I can
tell it's a part of the game's rules.  It's not like I punched in codes to  make
it that way (like some folks. ;-)).

@DonPixel said:

" this whole thing was a total LOL for me..   thank you guys! (specially OP) "

Thanks.  I was hoping someone would enjoy this & some of the comments I've
read seem like typical kneejerk hostile reactions, as seen, witnessed, & felt on
forums all over the Internet. Why should GB be any different?

I didn't have anything further to add to this thread.  However, this big news
story came up about cheaters & I felt a compelled need to come back & share
with the group.  Check out this College Senior's quote:

"This is college. Everyone cheats. Everyone cheats in life in general." -- Konstantin Ravvin.
Basically this College Professor has just wigged out cuz 1/3rd of his class cheated
on the mid-term. I wonder why he doesn't flunk them?  I'd definitely flunk Konstantin.
Link to story & video of the guy saying it:
 http://knightnews.com/2010/11/good-morning-america-gma-ucf-cheating-scandal-national-news-quinn/

I think cheaters out there should probably take a look at that story. A little come
uppance could be good for the soul (and no I'm not pointing fingers at anyone!).

We all need to drink up the moral high ground to add to our enjoyment of graphic violence!
#115 Posted by LordAndrew (13982 posts) -
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
" http://knightnews.com/2010/11/good-morning-america-gma-ucf-cheating-scandal-national-news-quinn/ "
That link is longer than every other line in your post. Might I suggest something like
http://knightnews.com/2010/11/good-morning-america-
gma-ucf-cheating-scandal-national-news-quinn/
instead? ;)

Cheating in games is not the same as cheating in academics. It's just a game! A single-player game with no impact on anyone else. It's seriously not a big deal.
#116 Posted by Rowr (5236 posts) -

was this written to fit into a newspaper column?

#117 Edited by Egge (445 posts) -

While Vinny and other people with similarily demanding schedules are entitled to do all sorts of artifical stuff which are technically possible (on a PC, anyway) but not strictly speaking part of the experience the game developers primarily intended, I think the key issue here is the belief that you're not robbed of a significant dimension of the gameplay by trying to access everything in a single playthrough. I find the "I can't get all the game's content in one playthrough!" complaint to be frankly absurd in the context of an open world RPG with multiple story paths and a variety of skills to specialize in.  

As in real life, New Vegas is about making choices and sticking with the consequences (at least for the current playthrough), and by cheating your way past every locked door and hack every computer you're essentially rendering all those choices meaningless and never have to pay any price for any decision you make, ever. Again, if that's all Vinny personally has time to do that's fine, but it's not OK to make it sound like cheating might be justified from a design perspective because the developers are somehow arbitrarily withholding content just to spite you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.