Weird Wasteland

#1 Posted by zegolf (224 posts) -

So...who picked this perk?  Anyone have any idea what it actually does?

I'm hearing it'll reveal quirky easter eggs in the wasteland, but I'm guessing we won't know until a second play-through without it?

#2 Posted by Tennmuerti (8140 posts) -
#3 Posted by Finstern (642 posts) -

I picked it, im over 50 hours into my game (got it delivered early) and I haven't noticed anything bizarre or over the top or even as weird as some of the fallout 3 stuff. The odd time it has flashed in my top left corner saying "wacky wasteland" and played some weirdo music but nothing was happening on screen when it showed

#4 Posted by Tennmuerti (8140 posts) -
@Finstern: It signifies that there is an easter egg nearby, you might not see it instantly or even get the reference when you do.
#5 Posted by zegolf (224 posts) -

I noticed the popup at the very beginning when I found the "alleged" Indiana Jones easter egg.  Wasn't sure if the two were related.  I guess this means multiple play-throughs!

#6 Posted by samcotts (2258 posts) -

Still waiting for Friday to come along. 

Just wondering from anyone who didn't choose this trait, why the hell not?!

#7 Posted by zegolf (224 posts) -
@samcotts: Anything in particular about Friday, or just the weekend?

I'm with you though. I remember looking at the trait as I was picking out my perks and going, "This has GOT to be good....right?"  No brainer. You've gotta pick it at least once.
#8 Posted by Tennmuerti (8140 posts) -
@zegolf: Friday is EU release day.
#9 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -
@samcotts: All the traits except for one have seriously negative statistical side effects and the description for this one didn't make any sense to me.  Rather than pick it and potentially end up with some crippling stat punishment, I just skipped over it.
#10 Posted by SouthernSlummin (18 posts) -

So I picked up this trait and already I found a little set up in the desert and got a perception hat out of it. You will know it when you see something cause the only reason why I noticed the setup is b/c it made me go wtf is that, LOL. Good luck.

#11 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

I came across a chair, table, poker cards and balloons on a ridge...
It triggered the pop up but I have no clue where its from =P

#12 Posted by zegolf (224 posts) -
@SouthernSlummin: Are you talking about the Indy reference?  It's a "chilling" experience, if it's the one I'm thinking of.
#13 Posted by SouthernSlummin (18 posts) -
@zegolf: IDK. I don't remember the name that popped up but it didnt make me think Indy cause the hat looks like one of those feather hats the chics would be wearing in like red dead. 
#14 Posted by zegolf (224 posts) -
@SouthernSlummin: Nope, we're thinking of something completely different. There's a skeleton outside of Good Springs that I was making reference to that seems to only be triggered by this perk.  I'll have to keep an eye out for the one you're talking about!  Thanks for the heads-up!
#15 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11299 posts) -

I love the fact that the thing is supposed to be a "make weird shit happen" trait.  

The example I remember from an interview with one of the developers was an instance where if you don't have that trait, you find a mini-nuke, but if you do, you find some weird grenade that is a reference to one of the first two games (but he wouldn't say what exactly). 

#16 Posted by neoepoch (1295 posts) -

I picked it because most of the other beginning perks were kinda crappy and stuff I didn't really want my character to be saddled with. Also, it is pretty awesome, you see the weird icon on the top of the screen and something odd is in front of you. It activated when I saw the Indiana Jones thing, and I'm hoping for more stuff with it.

#17 Posted by zegolf (224 posts) -
@neoepoch: I also like the sound it makes when you get close to a weird wasteland item!
#18 Posted by artofwar420 (6295 posts) -

I knew I was gonna love this perk. Though "useless" for combat or other stuff, it brings back more of that dark Fallout humor into the mix.

#19 Posted by huntad (1955 posts) -

I picked it up too, but nothing's happened yet. I don't mind it, because I didn't want to have two traits with negative aspects, so I chose that one.

#20 Edited by artofwar420 (6295 posts) -
@huntad: Just gotta keep exploring and you'll find something whimsical as hell.
#21 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -
@samcotts said:
" Still waiting for Friday to come along.   Just wondering from anyone who didn't choose this trait, why the hell not?! "
I decided that I'd choose it for my second play through. That said, I did not know at the time that I would get a notice when the perk was activating. And when I read the description I though "not for the serious tempered" meant that this was frustrating as hell, so I figured no.

But knowing what I know now: Yeah, why not? :P
#22 Posted by Animasta (14712 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" I came across a chair, table, poker cards and balloons on a ridge... It triggered the pop up but I have no clue where its from =P "
It's a reference to a failed video game project from somethingawful, since josh sawyer posts there
#23 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@Laketown said:

" @TaliciaDragonsong said:

" I came across a chair, table, poker cards and balloons on a ridge... It triggered the pop up but I have no clue where its from =P "
It's a reference to a failed video game project from somethingawful, since josh sawyer posts there "
Do elaborate =P
#24 Posted by zegolf (224 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
I think those were actually four red balls, because you can pick them up and throw them.  That's also the end of a part of a quest that you get from a guy running around in the ridge like an idiot.
#25 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@zegolf said:
I think those were actually four red balls, because you can pick them up and throw them.  That's also the end of a part of a quest that you get from a guy running around in the ridge like an idiot. "
 Didn't try picking em up, they looked like balloons to me =P
Still have no clue what they reference tho.
#26 Posted by fentonalpha (820 posts) -

I have seen squat... or at least nothing odder than I'd expect.  Every now and again I'd get a weird indicator on my HUD that something strange may be around but darned if i ever saw it.

#27 Posted by Animasta (14712 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:

" @Laketown said:

It's a reference to a failed video game project from somethingawful, since josh sawyer posts there "
Do elaborate =P "
this should be all you need to know:  http://shii.org/knows/Zybourne_Clock 
#28 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@Laketown: 
My brain just melted I think xD
I did not find the character named Johnny next to the lookout spot tho, shame that!
But a fun reference nonetheless!
Thanks for the explanation!
#29 Posted by Gamer_152 (14091 posts) -

Wow, it sounds pretty cool.

#30 Posted by killer_meatballs (479 posts) -

I feel like an idiot for not picking this Trait.   I didn't read the description thoroughly, didn't realize not picking it would leave out  Easter eggs.
But, I was going to play through it again as an "evil" character.

#31 Posted by Pokechapp (81 posts) -

In Nipton there is a house that was destroyed and in front of it there are two burnt corpses, Beru and Owen. They are Luke Skywakka's aunt and uncle. Me and my roommate got a good laugh out of it.

#32 Posted by TFG (52 posts) -

The only wild wasteland things i've seen are the star wars parents deaths, and the indiana jones one, and nothing else so far. Or maybe I didn't just get the whimsical references?

#33 Posted by mano521 (1228 posts) -

i picked it up. so far, i have been attacked randomly by 3 old ladies with rolling pins,  and at one point was constantly getting the effect of a drug wearing off.    
also, i asked rex (dog companion) what was wrong, and i asked "Is there someone trapped in a well?" to which the reply was "bark bark". which i responded "Lets go find that well boy!" and then a map marker was placed. i am currently looking for that marker

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.