Which platform to purchase on?

#1 Posted by LouChou (458 posts) -

I keep reading so many conflicting articles and opinions on what is the more stable version of the game to play through. Of course, I expect bugs on every platform, however, I've heard a number of folk say that to have the best chance at a remotely stable play through you should probably opt for the PC version. If only because, should the developers not get around to patching the game, maybe someone from the community will instead. Is this true?

Also, is the PS3 version still the jankiest, as it was with Fallout 3?

#2 Posted by zack1 (38 posts) -

Well the PC version already had a one patch out and its been quite stable for me ie i haven't got any game breaking bugs, of course you have to put the power of your rig consideration.

I would assume the ps3 version still being jankiest since i doubt obsidian would be able to fix that.

#3 Posted by emem (1975 posts) -
@LouChou:
I'd always get the PC-Version, if your system is good enough to handle it. Mods, quicker fixes, better gfx.. what else is there to say. 

I'm playing New Vegas on the PC right now btw and on "High" (res 1680x1050) it runs perfectly smooth most of the time, for some reason it's extremely choppy on Ultra settings, which is annoying.. but it doesn't look that much better anyway. 
Haven't had any crashes, freezes or ingame bugs so far and the loading times range from 1 second for small buildings up to maybe 5 seconds for the outside world. 

Cheers
#4 Posted by zegolf (224 posts) -

The PC version will definitely get patches quicker than the console version, only because of the approval process, but I'm a bit partial to playing on the console.  Not that I think it looks any better (Fallout isn't exactly known for its graphics) but there's something nice about playing on a 50" plasma instead of a 20" computer monitor.  That's just me, though.  I prefer to play most of my games on console.

It's not like this game really benefits from Mouse+Keyboard, either, since it's not really a shooter.  You'll be spending most of your time using VATS, so you don't really need to precision aiming that you get with a mouse.

#5 Posted by foggel (2766 posts) -

Just now I got an update for the xbox version. Maybe it hit PSN aswell by now.

#6 Posted by ch3burashka (5310 posts) -

PC. 

/thread

#7 Posted by LouChou (458 posts) -

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. You've pretty much solidified my opting for PC
  @zegolf said:

" The PC version will definitely get patches quicker than the console version, only because of the approval process, but I'm a bit partial to playing on the console.  Not that I think it looks any better (Fallout isn't exactly known for its graphics) but there's something nice about playing on a 50" plasma instead of a 20" computer monitor.  That's just me, though.  I prefer to play most of my games on console.  It's not like this game really benefits from Mouse+Keyboard, either, since it's not really a shooter.  You'll be spending most of your time using VATS, so you don't really need to precision aiming that you get with a mouse. "
I can definitely understand your point of view, but I'm guessing the PC version allows controller use (? anyone in the know feel free to chime in there), and I can hook my PC up to my TV so I guess the console experience is attainable.
#8 Posted by zegolf (224 posts) -
@LouChou: Yeah, that would definitely work!  Go for it!
#9 Posted by altbotdos (123 posts) -

If you pay me, I could act the entire game out for you (side missions and all) nude.

#10 Edited by Marz (5677 posts) -

PC, your gonna get tons of cool mods plus better patch support.  and yes you can use an xbox controller to play the PC version if you want that experience.

#11 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1478 posts) -
@CH3BURASHKA said:
" PC.  /thread "
This. Whats the point of playing this on a console if you already have a PC that can run it?
#12 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3625 posts) -

PC PC PC       PC PC PC
PC        PC   PC
PC PC PC   PC
PC                PC
PC                PC
PC                    PC PC PC

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.