Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Will the shooting outside VATS still be based around dice rolls?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By Icemael

One thing that really bothered me in Fallout 3 was that even outside VATS, the shooting was based around dice rolls. Countless times I'd be sitting there with my sniper rifle waiting for the perfect shot, pull the trigger, and then watch my target walk on like nothing happened because of an unfavourable dice roll. It's just stupid, you know? It might make sense in a turn-based RPG, but for a shot to miss in a real-time game where your aiming very clearly is perfect is just retarded.

So is the non-VATS shooting still going to be based around dice rolls in New Vegas, or will it be skill-based?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I don't see why it wouldn't be contingent on dice rolls. Otherwise you'd just be playing a first-person shooter with bullet-time. It rules VATS somewhat useless. 

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Dustpan

Obsidian has said that they've "tweaked" the shooting for Fallout: New Vegas and since it doesn't look that different from screenshots, maybe that's what they've changed.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By DystopiaX
    @JustTheDoctor said:
    " Obsidian has said that they've "tweaked" the shooting for Fallout: New Vegas and since it doesn't look that different from screenshots, maybe that's what they've changed. "
    Also, zooming in has been replaced with iron sights.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By owl_of_minerva

I'm going to assume that based on what we've seen in Alpha Protocol that Obsidian will take the same approach to New Vegas, ie. dice rolls. There'd be no reason not to keep VATs and honestly I thought it bridged the gap between the Fallout franchise and trademark Bethesda gameplay about as well as could be hoped. There will be some skill involved but it's not going to insta-reward you I suspect. I'm not too bothered, some of my favourite shooter-RPG hybrids have had those kinds of mechanics and it didn't detract from the experience much, at least for me.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By Icemael
    @Sir_Ragnarok: Not at all. VATS allows you to stop time, take a look at the situation, and pick what specific enemies -- and what parts of those enemies -- you want to attack. It wouldn't be any less useful.
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dustpan
    @DystopiaX said:
    " @JustTheDoctor said:
    " Obsidian has said that they've "tweaked" the shooting for Fallout: New Vegas and since it doesn't look that different from screenshots, maybe that's what they've changed. "
    Also, zooming in has been replaced with iron sights. "
    Where did you hear that from?
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DystopiaX
    @JustTheDoctor said:
    " @DystopiaX said:
    " @JustTheDoctor said:
    Also, zooming in has been replaced with iron sights. "
    Where did you hear that from? "
    GI magazine feature.
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dustpan
    @DystopiaX: How old is this piece of news?
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DystopiaX
    @JustTheDoctor said:
    " @DystopiaX: How old is this piece of news? "
    Not that old. It was in the latest (June) issue.
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dustpan
    @DystopiaX: Okay, thanks.
    TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#12  Edited By TheMasterDS

I'm going back in as a new character now in Fallout 3. Forgot how bad it controls as a shooter. Still though, I'm alright just hitting my VATS and shooting the head. It's just that it turns the game into some odd first person strategy game. Which isn't a terrible idea mind, just a little plain since the only winning move is "SHOOT HEAD" or "THROW GRENADE RIGHT AT A PERSON AND HIT CENTER MASS 80% OF THE TIME". Squad Controls may help make it a little more robust this time around I suppose, but still I'd like to get some shooting done. 

Going back into Fallout 3 reminded me how much I enjoyed Fallout 3 last summer with the 5 DLCs and my 4 characters. Also reminds me how much I need to get this game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.