Brace yourselves: Fallout 4 is coming... or is it?

  • 77 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by themangalist (1731 posts) -

source

Boston. Best news in a long while. I don't care where it's set in. I want more and better Fallout. Fallout 3 is one of my favourite games of all time, the mood and Bethesda open-world style is the great match. When FO3 was coming out I still didn't have a computer that could run it. In the end I read too much about it and basically spoiled everything. Hence I learnt my lesson and avoided every piece of Skyrim news. Will you do the same?

#2 Posted by Metal_Mills (2989 posts) -

Wait you mean the game that sold millions is getting a sequel? NO WAI GET DA FUK OUTTA HERE!

#3 Posted by Animasta (14669 posts) -

Will it have a good story/good characters this time?

#4 Posted by Marcsman (3177 posts) -

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

#5 Posted by Ghostiet (5245 posts) -
@Animasta said:

Will it have a good story/good characters this time?

Not if it's made by Bethesda.

If it's made by Bethesda without input from the Obsidian guys, I don't give a flying fuck.

#6 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -

Why can't they ever set a game in the southeast? Left 4 Dead 2 is the only one I can think of off the top of my head set in the southeast.

#7 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Animasta

Will it have a good story/good characters this time?

It's Bethesda, so no.
#8 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4967 posts) -

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

Why can't they ever set a game in the southeast? Left 4 Dead 2 is the only one I can think of off the top of my head set in the southeast.

They did already. Sort of.

Online
#9 Posted by believer258 (11785 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

@Animasta said:

Will it have a good story/good characters this time?

Not if it's made by Bethesda.

If it's made by Bethesda without input from the Obsidian guys, I don't give a flying fuck.

Party-poopers.

Anyway, AWESOME. Now make sure the aiming works a whole lot better.

#10 Posted by Animasta (14669 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Ghostiet said:

@Animasta said:

Will it have a good story/good characters this time?

Not if it's made by Bethesda.

If it's made by Bethesda without input from the Obsidian guys, I don't give a flying fuck.

Party-poopers.

Anyway, AWESOME. Now make sure the aiming works a whole lot better.

like fallout 3 all you want, but the story was pretty bad and so were the characters. It had a nice atmosphere but that's really all it did better.

#11 Posted by Simulacrum (462 posts) -

If Obsidians not making it I don't care.

#12 Posted by believer258 (11785 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@believer258 said:

@Ghostiet said:

@Animasta said:

Will it have a good story/good characters this time?

Not if it's made by Bethesda.

If it's made by Bethesda without input from the Obsidian guys, I don't give a flying fuck.

Party-poopers.

Anyway, AWESOME. Now make sure the aiming works a whole lot better.

like fallout 3 all you want, but the story was pretty bad and so were the characters. It had a nice atmosphere but that's really all it did better.

It was all right. I've heard worse. Ever played through FEAR 3? That's a horrible story. I can't tell you how any events interconnected at all. All I can tell you is that you're making your way through a big city to stop Alma from birthing the Antichrist.

And you end the game by taking the Antichrist under your care.

#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Animasta said:

like fallout 3 all you want, but the story was pretty bad and so were the characters.

Eve the player-made one?

#14 Posted by Gnubberen (765 posts) -

It would be pretty cool if Bethesda went ahead and bought Obsidian, and brought em' on as the permanent Fallout team. Ahhh.. a man can dream...

#15 Posted by Coafi (1483 posts) -

I played Fallout 3 couldn't handle more than 5 hours, I bought Fallout: New Vegas and I love it enough to put 80+ hours in and finish the game. I'm all for a new Fallout only if Obsidian is on board.

#16 Posted by Ghostiet (5245 posts) -
@believer258

I'd say Fallout 3's ending is a lot worse, since not only it's stupid, it actively insults the intelligence of the player by shaking a "but you must" scenario in his face. At least it got fixed in the DLC - something which BioWare didn't manage to do with ME3. Besides, Fallout 3's problems not only lie with the story, but the overall quality of the writing. New Vegas is a lot, lot better in that regard, with the only real gripe I have is shoehorning Marcus into the game.

#17 Posted by FakeKisser (324 posts) -

I'm super excited about a Boston setting!

#18 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

@believer258:

I'd say Fallout 3's ending is a lot worse, since not only it's stupid, it actively insults the intelligence of the player by shaking a "but you must" scenario in his face. At least it got fixed in the DLC - something which BioWare didn't manage to do with ME3. Besides, Fallout 3's problems not only lie with the story, but the overall quality of the writing. New Vegas is a lot, lot better in that regard, with the only real gripe I have is shoehorning Marcus into the game.

Marcus getting a few lines bugs you, but Doctor Henry doesn't?

Personally, the Followers of the Apocalypse showing up when they literally had no endings in which they survived in Fallout 1 (thanks to a bug, anyways) weirded me out a bit more than Marcus.

#19 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Obsidian put invisible walls on random hills in New Vegas, they can go to hell.

#20 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@Terramagi said:

@Ghostiet said:

@believer258:

I'd say Fallout 3's ending is a lot worse, since not only it's stupid, it actively insults the intelligence of the player by shaking a "but you must" scenario in his face. At least it got fixed in the DLC - something which BioWare didn't manage to do with ME3. Besides, Fallout 3's problems not only lie with the story, but the overall quality of the writing. New Vegas is a lot, lot better in that regard, with the only real gripe I have is shoehorning Marcus into the game.

Marcus getting a few lines bugs you, but Doctor Henry doesn't?

Personally, the Followers of the Apocalypse showing up when they literally had no endings in which they survived in Fallout 1 (thanks to a bug, anyways) weirded me out a bit more than Marcus.

Same. When I came across the Followers in NV I was constantly doubting my own memory of FO1, or at least that I was thinking of the wrong faction. The Marcus thing was kind of 'meh.'

But I pretty much echo what other people have said. I've never found Bethesda's writing or characters to be all that engaging. But I'll take a peek, I suppose. Aside from the writing in NV, the best thing that Obsidian did to that was bringing back a lot more of the old soundtracks. The music of the first two FO games were so iconic for me that I think it triggered some sort of Pavlovian response to make me like NV more than I normally would have.

#21 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

no ty

#22 Posted by PhilESkyline (774 posts) -

I never finished Fallout 3. Was really deep into it just got too busy with life and other games. Also I never checked out New Vegas because I heard the bugs were just unbearable. Odds are I'll probably pass on this game too since I'm already lost in the story.

#23 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@believer258: Well, shit. Now I have to play Fear 3.
#25 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

Yeah, they made up the Commonwealth in FO3 and mentioned it a lot. So I could see them going there, but I hope it's not this gen.

Skyrim already runs like crap on the 360 with some playtime and the DLC installed. And the DLC can't even come out on the PS3. They might as well get started on next gen stuff if they can't push their engine any further.

And like everyone else already said, I hope they take the writing seriously this time.

#26 Posted by Animasta (14669 posts) -

@GenocidalKitten said:

I think the next Fallout will be set in nuclear winter.

patrolling boston almost makes me wish for a nuclear summer

#27 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

Yea maybe they will even make a Vita version that causes the system to explode!

#28 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I didn't particularly like FO3. I prefered New Vegas by a large milestone. Roadblocks in DC : yuck. As for FO4, yeah baby!

#29 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

I'd rather Obsidian made the rest of them but I am sure it will be good.

#30 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Will they use a new engine, or just a "totally really new no trust us" engine?

#31 Posted by Ghostiet (5245 posts) -
@Terramagi said:

@Ghostiet said:

@believer258:

I'd say Fallout 3's ending is a lot worse, since not only it's stupid, it actively insults the intelligence of the player by shaking a "but you must" scenario in his face. At least it got fixed in the DLC - something which BioWare didn't manage to do with ME3. Besides, Fallout 3's problems not only lie with the story, but the overall quality of the writing. New Vegas is a lot, lot better in that regard, with the only real gripe I have is shoehorning Marcus into the game.

Marcus getting a few lines bugs you, but Doctor Henry doesn't?

Personally, the Followers of the Apocalypse showing up when they literally had no endings in which they survived in Fallout 1 (thanks to a bug, anyways) weirded me out a bit more than Marcus.

Completely forgot about that motherfucker.

My issue with Marcus is that he got slapped into the game as pure fanservice and nothing else. The Followers have a decent arc, so at least there's that. Besides, screw the Followers, the Enclave is a bigger fish to fry.

#32 Posted by MightyDuck (1521 posts) -

I loved Fallout 3, but just could not get into New Vegas. I'd be open to Fallout 4 still though.

#33 Posted by believer258 (11785 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

@believer258: Well, shit. Now I have to play Fear 3.

Disclaimer: It's not specifically The Antichrist.

However, the game's ending is apocalyptic and Alma's a pretty demonic entity, so it may as well be.

#34 Posted by rentfn (1279 posts) -

Best Rumor Ever!!!!!

#35 Posted by AndrewB (7575 posts) -

As long as I get to take a deuce on the 50 yard line of Gillette Stadium.

#36 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

It all depends on whether or not their writing has improved. *Skyrim* Yeah...well, I'll always buy a Fallout game, unless Bethesda starts walking the path of BioWare. Once they're done with Fallout 4 maybe they'll throw scraps to Obsidian again. When you think about it, this is all Interplay's fault.

#37 Posted by EuanDewar (4886 posts) -

If I change my Giant Bomb username can I put a $ in it? Does the site allow this???

#38 Posted by EuanDewar (4886 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

If I change my Giant Bomb username can I put a $ in it? Does the site allow this???

DUDE WTF I TRIED TO CHANGE MY NAME TO VINTAGE_$LUT BUT APPARENTLY THESE FUCKIN' LOSERS DON'T ALLOW DOLLAR SIGNS

#39 Edited by John1912 (1857 posts) -

I pretty fucking burnt out on Skyrim. I even got bored of Dawnguard after a few hours and havent gotten back to it. That aside I really would love to see a new fallout that isnt using that old ass engine. Bethesda really seemed to have learned a lot in putting a better world experience together in making Skyrim. I hope they can live up to the new bar they set for themselves. Fallout 4 could be pretty sick!

@falserelic: WTF is going is going on in that gif!? Training exercise gone wrong? Ohh man looks like there were 2 ppl in back too.

#40 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Hopefully they step up their game. They have a lot to compete with, since New Vegas.

#41 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

I hope it comes soon.

#42 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

Those guys are smart, they are pushing this thing to cover the losses of TES online already. I don´t care much for Fallout though.

#43 Posted by Iodine (546 posts) -

New engine please for the love of god

#44 Posted by HistoryInRust (6292 posts) -

Love it. With the improvements to the general world-sense and atmosphere Bethesda made in Skyrim, another Fallout might be fucking amazing.

#45 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

If Bethesda program it and Obsidian collaborate with the storyline and quests, then I am in.

If not then...fuck, who am I kidding - I love Fallout, I will buy it regardless.

#46 Posted by Irvandus (2876 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Animasta said:

like fallout 3 all you want, but the story was pretty bad and so were the characters.

Eve the player-made one?

Everyone has clearly forgotten about Fawkes.

#47 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

I hope it's about a character kicking everybody's asses while searching for their badass father, who is voiced by Liam Neeson, who is kicking everybody else's asses while searching for his daughter.

#48 Posted by Animasta (14669 posts) -

@Irvandus said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Animasta said:

like fallout 3 all you want, but the story was pretty bad and so were the characters.

Eve the player-made one?

Everyone has clearly forgotten about Fawkes.

I was too distracted by fawkes' awful voice acting to care about him as a character

#49 Posted by Ramone (2961 posts) -

Maybe this one won't have horrific game breaking bugs, oh wait, who am I kidding?

#50 Posted by pweidman (2322 posts) -

@Iodine said:

New engine please for the love of god

Love me some Fallout, but this has got to be requisite. No more upgrading that old buggy pos. It was such an unfair blight for Skyrim. Come correct for this one Bethesda.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.