Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout

Franchise »

The Fallout franchise is a post-apocalyptic series of role-playing and tactics games originally developed by Black Isle, and most recently, Bethesda Softworks and Obsidian Entertainment.

fallout 1&2 remake a good idea?

kingcanim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By kingcanim

first blog entry lets start it with a bang I have been a long time time fan of the fallout franchice and like most of the games loved 1&2 , thorght that tactics was ok played it to the end and enjoyed it at times, never played brotherhood of steel and never will; i will not let it soly my memorys of fallout, played the hell out of fallout three on the pc and the 360 and enjoyed every moment of it. But what I have been wondering is would a remake of the first games on a 3D engien be any good. In my veiw it would be a good game but it would be a very different game .  To any one how comes across this let me know what you think and what you would do to the game if you had the chance to change it.

kingcanim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kingcanim

first blog entry lets start it with a bang I have been a long time time fan of the fallout franchice and like most of the games loved 1&2 , thorght that tactics was ok played it to the end and enjoyed it at times, never played brotherhood of steel and never will; i will not let it soly my memorys of fallout, played the hell out of fallout three on the pc and the 360 and enjoyed every moment of it. But what I have been wondering is would a remake of the first games on a 3D engien be any good. In my veiw it would be a good game but it would be a very different game .  To any one how comes across this let me know what you think and what you would do to the game if you had the chance to change it.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#2  Edited By jaqen_hghar

No. If they got remade, they would at least have to keep the isometric perspective. 
    I don't see why they need to be remade though. They still work on modern computers (at least the Gog.com versions do), so that is not a reason. The graphics, while they aren't great, are just perfect for the games. Sure, you could add more death animations and ragdolling etc, but I think that would take away from the charm of the games. 

So the only thing I would change is probably just the interface. Just make things a bit faster and easier to access or something. And fix a few bugs here and there. 
    I am a huge fan of the two first games though, so... you might get another answer from people who are more a fan of Fallout 3. 

mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By mau64

Nah, they just need to move on. I like the gameplay in Fallout 3 and really looking forward to Vegas, but I just wish their stories could be better. I thought Oblivion was such a better game with a lot more content to play around in (main game that is) and have high hopes for Vegas but I feel like it's just going to be Fallout 3 in Vegas which will be a little disappointing. Remaking something we've already played I have no desire to do.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder

No, they're fine as they are. Maybe there are a few things that could be slightly tweaked, but overall, I don't see any point of a remake.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm not really interested in a remake of Fallout 1 or 2, they're very different games from Fallout 3 and at this point may also come across as a little dated.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mylifeforAiur

All I would want from a Fallout 1&2 remake would be complete voice-acting for the game ;)

kingcanim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kingcanim
    @Durandir:  ya i completly agree with you i just wanted to to see what people thorght and to see if any one would come up with interesting and inovative ideas. thanks for the feed back
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Emilio

if they make a modified port on the Wii and DS, then yes. 

Now, before anyone goes "Buch Wii and DS is for lame-o casuals", please understand that the stylus and Wiimote pointer is the closest thing to a mouse set up. 

You know, I would buy a disc release of Fallout 1 & 2 on Wii and I'm sure many people would too. I bet Interplay could get this done.

Now, a whole new, from the ground up, 3D remake.... well that's just insulting. Bethesda would probably do something stupid with it too.

Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Crocio
    @kingcanim said:
    " first blog entry lets start it with a bang I have been a long time time fan of the fallout franchice and like most of the games loved 1&2 , thorght that tactics was ok played it to the end and enjoyed it at times, never played brotherhood of steel and never will; i will not let it soly my memorys of fallout, played the hell out of fallout three on the pc and the 360 and enjoyed every moment of it. But what I have been wondering is would a remake of the first games on a 3D engien be any good. In my veiw it would be a good game but it would be a very different game .  To any one how comes across this let me know what you think and what you would do to the game if you had the chance to change it. "
    I actually quite enjoy the two dimensional graphics. Rather than a remake how about scaling the graphics to a higher resolution?
    If I had a chance to change the games? I think fallout itself is a perfectly sized module for the scale of the game.
    However, if I came across the fallout IP, I would obviously invest in a generic remake for I'd surely profit from the sheer brand recognition.

It's actually not that difficult to get an isometric view with 3D graphics with the same kind of view as the originals, BOS did this somewhat well.

Creating a new modern game with the same plot and scope as the original two would really kill the role-playing aspects and remove the fun.
    HODGEY3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By HODGEY3000

seems kind of pointless when they could create new stories in differnet settings
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrKlorox

No remake. I'd rather have more games in the actual classic Fallout style. Some studio should pick up Arcanum and keep it old-school with a sequel.

However they should totally port the originals to XBLM/PSN at 480p/720p. It would be hard to see on SDTVs because of the way they usually cut off the outer boarders. But they look great at 720p with the widescreen patch. 2D holds up so much better over time than 3D.

It's not really necessary though since any PC from the past 10 years can run the games and they're cheap on GOG. It's just that kids don't like to look at the 2D low resolution graphics.

Moondog38839

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Moondog38839

maybe a upgrade in Graphics

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.