Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 30, 1997

A critically acclaimed role-playing game developed by Black Isle Studios and Tim Cain in 1997, Fallout established itself as a prominent post-apocalyptic universe with a dark sense of humor.

How does it hold up?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I was thinking of buying this from GoG.com but I'm not sure if it's enjoyable today. I usually don't mind outdated games, I am making my way through Duke Nukem 3D and Half Life Source and they are fantastic. I was wondering how much fun this is today? I loved Fallout 3 so I want to see where it all started.

Thanks.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By buft

it doesnt graphics wise, i mean its old as dust but it probably still plays well.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By Danteveli

It is still a lot of fun but the 150 day limit at the beginning of the game can make it harder if you don't know where to go and what to do to extend it.  I still play it every couple months and dont feel it got much older. 

LiquidElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By LiquidElite

fallout is a great game, i find that people who play 3 or new vegas first tend to not like the older games as much. i say go for it though. its a much heavier strategy game then you may be expecting but still i played it after 3 and really liked it. :D

newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By newhaap

I'm a huge fan of the first game, so I'm probably a bit biased when I say GO FOR IT!

As far as graphics and game mechanics, the game doesn't hold up at all, it does feel really old (my favorite example is that your inventory is shown a few items at a time in a list, and you have to scroll through that list one item at a time to find the item you need / are looking for)

As an RPG, I think it has a fantastic world, story and characters. And the character stats I think are as fun to play around with, if not more so. If you put your INT to minimum, you'll only be able to say things like "Wub wub!?"

EDIT: Even though the graphics are old, I think the animations (especially death animations) are still cool and better than the generic physics driven death animations in Fallout 3

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Chummy8

Still one of the best games ever. 

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Are there any graphical mods? I don't need them but it would be nice.

ToastMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ToastMan

There's a resolution patch that renders the game on very high resolutions, including wide-screen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@ToastMan said:

There's a resolution patch that renders the game on very high resolutions, including wide-screen.

Where is that available?
    Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They hold up really well, I play Fallout 2 every year at some point.

ToastMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ToastMan

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@ToastMan said:

Where is that available?

Fallout 1: Link

Fallout 2: Link

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By CL60
    @ToastMan said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@ToastMan said:

Where is that available?

I tried using those one time, but it made everything incredibly small on my monitor, and when I say incredibly small, I mean I could barely see what I was doing.
    ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ATrevelan
    @CL60: I've found that you do need to choose a lower-high resolution to make the games playable. I've got them both set to 720p on my 1080p laptop and that's sufficient.
    ToastMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ToastMan

@CL60 said:

@ToastMan said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@ToastMan said:

Where is that available?

I tried using those one time, but it made everything incredibly small on my monitor, and when I say incredibly small, I mean I could barely see what I was doing.

Well, it depends on the resolution you choose, I guess.

I remember it looking very sharp and clear on my monitor's native 1680x1050 resolution. It's also a lot more comfortable because you don't have to scroll the screen as much.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By CL60
    @ToastMan said:

@CL60 said:

@ToastMan said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@ToastMan said:

Where is that available?

I remember it looking very sharp and clear on my monitor's native 1680x1050 resolution. It's also a lot more comfortable because you don't have to scroll the screen as much.

I'm also using 1680x1050, and everything was way too small.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By august

If you're already playing some old games then I say go for it.

You should really look over the manual so you can understand how combat works though. The main thing I'd say to keep in mind is that unused Action Points get turned into Armor Class at the end of a round. That means if you don't move or do anything when you end your turn you will be harder to hit. Also make sure you know how to equip weapons in the weapon slots and that you know to click on the weapon to switch attack type, for instance to make an aimed shot with a firearm which is very important.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BeachThunder

I first played it last year and I thought it was great ^__^ It has to be one of the best RPGs I've played :D

ToastMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ToastMan

@CL60 said:

@ToastMan said:

@CL60 said:

@ToastMan said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@ToastMan said:

Where is that available?

I'm also using 1680x1050, and everything was way too small.

Yes, well, it's still worth for him to try at least. I got used to it pretty quickly and it made it a more enjoyable experience for me.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CptBedlam

I find that 2D games of that era age WAY better than 3D games. So yes, it holds up. Just expect it to be a little more demanding than today's games.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mnzy
    @ToastMan said:

Does it kinda break the game where you can see way too much? Some other mods for older games have that problem.
    ToastMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ToastMan

@mnzy said:

@ToastMan said:

Does it kinda break the game where you can see way too much? Some other mods for older games have that problem.

For the most part, no.

There was this one thing I noticed when I played using it. Some of the inventory of the vendors inside the various towns were kept in lockers which, normally, would be just outside the visible range of the player. Using the patch you can totally see them and use them, effectively, taking their content for yourself.

There were several updates for these patches since the last time I played, so it might have been fixed. But even if not, you'll just need to control yourself and not be tempted to take the stuff.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By Danteveli

Plus the game is not that tragic without the resolution patch so if you don't want to use it you dont have to. Or maybe its just me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
    deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I disagree with some people here. I never thought it felt old to me. Graphics from back then had a certain appeal and for its time, I wouldn't say they were bad. It feels dated in the way that you have read the manual to know what is going on and that the game can be unforgiving difficulty wise if you don't know what you're doing. I'm not sure if that's such a bad thing though. I wouldn't miss forced in-game tutorials if they went away forever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.