Anyone Picked This Up Yet?

#1 Posted by Slither_Maggot (221 posts) -

This game has been on my radar since I heard about it and I was just wondering about first impressions from anyone who has picked it up already. Graphically it looks similar to the old XBOX/PS2 game but what all is different about it as far as controls, gameplay, etc? Gripes? Compliments? Just wanting a little feedback.

#2 Posted by MocBucket62 (1151 posts) -
@Slither_Maggot: I haven't played it, but I've seen some notable differences from the last game. Both Stewie and Brian seem to serve as similar characters instead of being used for specific levels like shooting and stealth. The whole game is pretty much a third person shooter. There are some complaints about how repetitive the lines are, I read a Destructoid review on this and you may hear jokes such as about Amish people not being allowed to have sex for about 20 times in a level. The shooting mechanics seem pretty off too because enemies will just run around the stages making it unnecessarily hard for you to hit, especially if your weapons aren't very good to begin with. You can use special weapons that refer to the show such as using a Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tubeman to get an enemy's attention. The game can freeze itself at times and can cause the cutscenes to get out of sync sadly.  
 
Based on what I've read about this game, i would pass on this if I were you. But again, I'm probably not a reliable source since I didn't actually play it. You make the call yourself if you want to play it.
#3 Posted by Darkstalker (703 posts) -

to be fair to the game destructoid review are pretty unreliable imo but based on what ive seen it looks pretty bad. Family guy is about fast paced random humour. I just dont think it works well in a game. Hell most of the time it doesn't work well on the show. this is one of those games i can see being 29$ by the years end. wait for that.

#4 Posted by audioBusting (1477 posts) -

I haven't played it either, but I saw some gameplay footage on Youtube and it seems to be just as good as the TV show is. It's no 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand for sure.

#5 Posted by Slither_Maggot (221 posts) -

@Darkstalker: Yeah I didn't plan on buying it new. I don't do that with most any game anyway. I'm a used-game kind of guy and even then I usually don't pay more than about $10-15 a game. I don't have to buy them when they come out. I'm willing to wait a little while until the craziness and hype about the game is over (neither of which I see happening with this one anyway) and then I go pick up the game when its' popularity has died down and you can walk in and there are like 20 copies of it sitting on a shelf somewhere. I also don't do GameStop so I can usually pick shit up a lot cheaper so $29 isn't happening either. I see being able to snag it for a lot less in the near future. Hell DNF is $14.95 NEW now (that's showing you my basis for comparison as far as expectations) and it's even -cheaper- used somewhere.

#6 Posted by Slither_Maggot (221 posts) -

@audioBusting said:

I haven't played it either, but I saw some gameplay footage on Youtube and it seems to be just as good as the TV show is. It's no 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand for sure.

LMFAO! Omg I almost shit myself laughing!

#7 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -

I wouldn't mind a quick look of this game.

#8 Posted by Slither_Maggot (221 posts) -

@Seedofpower: Same here Seedofpower but it's one of those games that I think just ins't popular enough to end up getting one, which sucks because I'd be down for that too.

#9 Posted by qawsed (143 posts) -

The game opens with Mort telling you to pop ten balloons outside of a frat house.

I think that sums up the game nicely.

#10 Posted by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

@audioBusting said:

I haven't played it either, but I saw some gameplay footage on Youtube and it seems to be just as good as the TV show is. It's no 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand for sure.

I can't tell is this is praise or condemnation

#11 Posted by Slither_Maggot (221 posts) -

@qawsed said:

The game opens with Mort telling you to pop ten balloons outside of a frat house.

I think that sums up the game nicely.

Yeah random stuff like that was exactly what I was expecting. I kind of equate the amount of sense this game would make to if you were tripping balls on acid.

#12 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

They should have just released this as a $20 downloadable game. It would have gone over MUCH better.

#13 Edited by lazerbot (13 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

They should have just released this as a $20 downloadable game. It would have gone over MUCH better.

This.

#14 Posted by Slither_Maggot (221 posts) -

@lazerbot said:

@Demoskinos said:

They should have just released this as a $20 downloadable game. It would have gone over MUCH better.

This.

Having played the first one I'd have to agree with you on that.

#15 Posted by qawsed (143 posts) -

It's like Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust.

#16 Posted by Abendlaender (2761 posts) -

I just realized that this is NOT an MMO. I thought this was an MMO till...like 3 minutes ago. Wasn't there a Family Guy MMO somewhere? Am I crazy?

#17 Posted by agc8602 (36 posts) -

@Abendlaender: You're thinking Family Guy Online.

#18 Posted by Slither_Maggot (221 posts) -

@qawsed said:

It's like Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust.

Oh Jesus! How depressing.

#19 Posted by WilliamHenry (1200 posts) -

I've played the first two levels and its ok, if you're a fan of the show. The gameplay is very generic and feels pretty dated. The enemy dialogue gets repeated way too much. The majority of the dialogue from Stewie and Brian is ripped straight out of old episodes as well, so that gets pretty repetitive also. I was looking for a simple game to play through in a weekend and this seems to be that. I wouldn't buy it at full price, probably not even half price. If you can find it for like $10-$15 and are a big fan of the show, then it might be worth a play through. Otherwise I wouldn't waste my time or money.

#20 Posted by Slither_Maggot (221 posts) -

@WilliamHenry said:

I've played the first two levels and its ok, if you're a fan of the show. The gameplay is very generic and feels pretty dated. The enemy dialogue gets repeated way too much. The majority of the dialogue from Stewie and Brian is ripped straight out of old episodes as well, so that gets pretty repetitive also. I was looking for a simple game to play through in a weekend and this seems to be that. I wouldn't buy it at full price, probably not even half price. If you can find it for like $10-$15 and are a big fan of the show, then it might be worth a play through. Otherwise I wouldn't waste my time or money.

yeah I hadn't planned on it being some blockbuster game. I figured when the time came where I could find it for about $10-15 I'd give it a go. I figured it would be a "weekender" kind of game so I'm not too surprised.

#21 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I knew this game would be shit seeing as there was zero information about the game until a week or so ago.

#22 Posted by WilliamHenry (1200 posts) -

@Hizang said:

I knew this game would be shit seeing as there was zero information about the game until a week or so ago.

I think it was obvious since the initial announcement that it wasn't going to be very good.

#23 Posted by Svenzon (713 posts) -
@qawsed

It's like Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust.

That game was about as funny as a Family Guy episode, so that comparison seems very fitting.
#24 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -
@WilliamHenry I don't know, I mean The Simpsons was an alright game right?
#25 Posted by deano546 (182 posts) -

I got this as a gift and have started playing it and, well, its not very good. (Shocking I know.)

#26 Posted by Soap (3564 posts) -

@Svenzon said:

@qawsed

It's like Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust.

That game was about as funny as a Family Guy episode, so that comparison seems very fitting.

Regardless of your feelings towards Family Guy, that's just offensive. Please don't compare it to that abortion of a product.

#27 Posted by Svenzon (713 posts) -

@Soap said:

@Svenzon said:

@qawsed

It's like Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust.

That game was about as funny as a Family Guy episode, so that comparison seems very fitting.

Regardless of your feelings towards Family Guy, that's just offensive. Please don't compare it to that abortion of a product.

Too late!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.