OXM UK solves games journalism

#1 Posted by Milkman (16664 posts) -
#2 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

A 2/10, huh. Harsh.

Also, I'm totally for this method of review. A well thought out questionnaire, made by the reviewer, which the reader would answer to give out what the reader would most likely think of a game is an interesting idea.

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -

Seen Jeff's tweet about that. That's pretty funny.

#4 Posted by Winternet (8014 posts) -

I've just saw it too, through Jeff's twitter. Oh, so good.

#5 Posted by Milkman (16664 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

A 2/10, huh. Harsh.

Also, I'm totally for this method of review. A well thought out questionnaire, made by the reviewer, which the reader would answer to give out what the reader would most likely think of a game is an interesting idea.

Yeah, jokes aside, I think there's something there.

#6 Posted by AlisterCat (5532 posts) -

It's clear that they hate Family Guy. I get it. A non-biased version of this format would be great for a better game. Have your own opinions validated by yourself!

Also, I like Family Guy.

#7 Posted by BlackLagoon (1408 posts) -

The review raises an important question though - Why doesn't FIFA 13 have a Horde Mode?

#8 Posted by TheHT (11145 posts) -

1/10

Love them pirates.

#9 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -

@BlackLagoon said:

The review raises an important question though - Why doesn't FIFA 13 have a Horde Mode?

or cover based dribbling and shooting... Bazinga!

#10 Posted by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

Wow, a 0. Don't see many of those.

As much as I applaud scathing reviews as there should really be more of them, and I think in general I think reviewers could find greater fault in almost any game than they do, I hate the fact that this reviewer put more creativity and effort into his review than the maker's of the game he's applying it to

#11 Posted by Ben_H (3342 posts) -

That needs to be the industry standard because it would completely break Metacritic and that is always a good thing.

#12 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

@BlackLagoon said:

Just try to score a goal with your goal keeper.

#13 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

0/10, huh?

This review is the future and I love everything about it.

#14 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5143 posts) -

10/10, going to get it right now!

#15 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

0/10.

Didn't plan on playing it anyway and I loathe Family Guy. It's lazy humour.

#16 Posted by Animasta (14673 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

It's clear that they hate Family Guy. I get it. A non-biased version of this format would be great for a better game. Have your own opinions validated by yourself!

Also, I like Family Guy.

then you would vote it higher!

only like 3 of those are insults to the show, anyway.

#17 Posted by JamesJeux007 (472 posts) -

Yeah, I think everyone had a 1/10. Effin' pirates man... Also, FIFA 13 Horde Mode needs to exist :'O

#18 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10910 posts) -

@TheHT said:

1/10

Love them pirates.

Yarr.

#19 Posted by Ben_H (3342 posts) -
@Animasta said:

@AlisterCat said:

Also, I like Family Guy.

The rest are insults to fans of the show hahaha
#20 Posted by Saethir (353 posts) -

@TheHT said:

1/10

Love them pirates.

Agreed, Love me some pirates.

1/10!

#21 Posted by CornBREDX (5105 posts) -

The questions are biased so the game got a 0 
Funny idea as a joke to a game not worth any ones time (apparently) though

#22 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1615 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

A 2/10, huh. Harsh.

It's definitely an interesting idea, but I think it has the same big problem that scoreless reviews have, which is that most people would only ever read reviews for games they already care about, leaving great lesser-known games to remain unnoticed. Can't tell you how many games I've discovered as a result of a high score catching my eye (including Persona 3, which led me to Persona 4, which led me to this website).

#23 Posted by AlisterCat (5532 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@AlisterCat said:

Also, I like Family Guy.

Not really, because I don't know anything about the game. I don't dispute game play complaints but liking family guy doesn't make me an idiot, nor does it mean I approve of all the offensive jokes in the game or the show either.

I just meant they should use this format for Final Fantasy, or Hitman or something. Rather than a review saying "It's a mixed bag" or "fans of the series will enjoy it" or "a departure from previous entries".

@Ben_H: I like you because Redd White. Blue.

#24 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

This is a great format.

#25 Posted by ThePickle (4168 posts) -

Hm, don't think any of these apply to me. Oh wait:

I am a frothing imbecile who deserves nothing of value in my life.

Yup, that's me. 1/10.

#26 Posted by Animasta (14673 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

@Animasta said:

@AlisterCat said:

Also, I like Family Guy.

Not really, because I don't know anything about the game. I don't dispute game play complaints but liking family guy doesn't make me an idiot, nor does it mean I approve of all the offensive jokes in the game or the show either.

wait, what value does it have otherwise?

#27 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Milkman said:

For the first time ever, YOU, the reader, decide the score.

That's a really dumb idea. I go to a reviewer to find out if a game is worth playing. That implies that I haven't played it. Why should I give the score (unless I'm trolling or have already played the game)? Shouldn't the reviewer expert man do that? Then again, problem with scores in general and everything.

I hate myself for being too dumb to read this, since it appears to be satirical. Cool, then?

#28 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1328 posts) -

damn can't believe they gave it a 10/10

#29 Posted by AlisterCat (5532 posts) -

@Animasta: I enjoy the animation, the references, and sometimes storylines. In the actual multiverse episode, the disney animated universe was incredible. Then they killed a Jew because Walt Disney. I go to South Park for the offensive humour and social commentary.

#30 Posted by JeanLuc (3579 posts) -

0/10.

#31 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@BlackLagoon said:

Man it should, dozens of Piques charging at you and you kill them by kicking bombs at them.

#32 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

How about someone reviews the game that doesn't actively hate family guy? No? OK.

#33 Edited by Snail (8595 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

A 2/10, huh. Harsh.

I think it works as a one-time joke, or maybe even as an occasionally recurring one, but that's it. If you take it seriously then it becomes no more complex as a review than a decision-making diagram.

#34 Posted by Milkman (16664 posts) -
#35 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

@Snail said:

I think it works as a one-time joke, or maybe even as an occasionally recurring one, but that's it. If you take it seriously then it's no more complex as a review than a decision-making diagram.

I guess I'm thinking if one knows their opinions on video games well enough, having a well constructed questionnaire by a reviewer—one who is capable of conveying properly worded questions as well as having the proper knowledge of a certain game's elements—such as serious psychological ones for a reader to fill out would then result in an accurate enough result showing what the reader would most likely think of their experience if they played that game.

If a game fulfills a whole bunch of tastes a reader has and they fill out a questionnaire accordingly, one asking if the game's elements are in accordance with the reader's tastes, then the result would give "you should play this game". The contrary is true for one who's tastes are opposite that of what the game accomplishes. That works, right?

#36 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

This method of review is clearly intended to be a joke, and as that it succeeds brilliantly. I thought it was one of the more clever reviews I've read lately. Also, that game sounds preeeeeeeety terrible. Then again, I doubt anyone was expecting it to be anyone's GOTY.

#37 Posted by FLStyle (4665 posts) -

Revolutionary! I'd love to see what the Metal Gear Solid 2 version of this would turn out like.

#38 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

Also, I like Family Guy.

I'm sorry.

#39 Posted by Demoskinos (14769 posts) -

This review is absolutely more funny than anything family guy has done in years.

#40 Edited by Shady (503 posts) -

@Milkman said:

@Phatmac said:

How about someone reviews the game that doesn't actively hate family guy? No? OK.

IGN didn't think it was terrible.

Is that even noteworthy? It's like saying water is wet.

#41 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

so awesome

#42 Posted by believer258 (11800 posts) -

Considering recent threads, that ninth point is particularly biting.

#43 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

I could only agree on the last question. This is a great way to write reviews, get the players to do them for you!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.