Far Cry 2 Factions

#1 Posted by Meltbrain (2966 posts) -

Hey y'all.
I just got Far Cry 2 today, I'm quite enjoying it so far. I was just wondering, is there any real benefit or bonus or story-altering aspect to the two factions I can work for? I'm currently working for the UFLL but there doesn't seem to be any clarification on if they are the good guys or bad guys or if the APR are the good guys. Is it just a matter of preference or is there anything I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8610 posts) -

There really isn't any benefit from either of them, honestly. There would be occasions when I would get more diamonds from the APR, but those are few and far between. The moral choices are also different between the two factions, but they aren't that big of a deal because I never honestly cared about those parts anyway. Still, I am glad to hear you are enjoying the game. I seem to be one of the few that enjoyed it myself.

#3 Posted by Drebin_893 (2872 posts) -

No, but RHCPFan24 has really hit the nail on the head. I loved the game, but could only play it in short bursts.

#4 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8610 posts) -
Drebin_893 said:
 I loved the game, but could only play it in short bursts."
I agree. Playing it bits at a time really helped me overlook the AI problems and such. If you look past the rough edges, Far Cry 2 is a very impressive title. It could have been a lot more, but its current state is still admirable.
#5 Posted by Meltbrain (2966 posts) -

Thanks for the info, guys. Is it the same for missions in regard to when a buddy gives you an alternate way to do the mission? Is this just player preference? Because again, the game is doing very, very little to tell me whether doing one thing over another would have bad/different consequences, it's just like "oh by the way, dude, you might want to do this instead I dunno why it might be more fun" and as such I've been doing the alternate Buddy option of the missions most times.

#6 Posted by ZettaSlow (148 posts) -

Doing the buddy missions makes your history with them increase, and I'm pretty sure they update the safe house or something similar when you have a high history with a certain buddy.

#7 Posted by Meltbrain (2966 posts) -

Thanks Zetta, it seems that the Safe House upgrades come directly from buddy missions though, when you complete a regular APR/UFLL mission and do the buddy side part that's when the upgrades seem to hit. I'm in the southern part of the map now, I've found every single one of those bloody diamond briefcases, rescued all the buddies, finished all the cell tower missions and unlocked all the weapons. Man, the game is a serious slog.

I have a few questions though...

SPOILER WARNING

-
-
-
-

So at the end of the first section, I got screwed over by the UFLL. Am I right in thinking that regardless of who you worked for (UFLL or APR) that you get screwed over anyway? If any of you guys got messed over by the APR then that seems to be the case. That was pretty lame, and adds to the fact that you don't really want to work for either of them! They're both a collection of assholes!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.