Very few games this gen in particular have been as dismissed and whole heartedly misunderstood with punitive impatience being accorded to them as Far Cry 2. It's a crime, a sham of a travesty of a mockery of a sham. I'll keep this brief.
This game is awesome, I mean awesome. Don't expect Halo, Oblivion or Call of Duty or whatever preconceived notion of whatever this game should have been, but expect only what the developers actually produced. Fantastic, breath taking visuals creating a world which is dense and sparse at the same time, open and claustrophobic, where reality and fiction meet head long at a guard post.
Very good single player, vastly underrated multiplayer, best map editor I've ever seen on a console, subdued minimalist soundtrack, and an experience first and foremost.
People complained about a lot of small niggles which hindered this game from being truly great, but over the past few months Ubisoft has patched up many complaints including the following:
- Rebalanced weapons online, bullets do more damage, no more empty clip scenarios.
- Hardcore mode added, basically CODesque "real" life damage model.
- Patched up save game glitch where the save file would become corrupted.
- Added custom maps to Ranked matches for more diversity.
- Patched multiplayer lobby issues.
- Full list here.
Go back and do yourselves, your family, your people, your country a service and play this game one more time.