Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 21, 2008

The sequel to the original Far Cry dispenses with Jack Carver, and moves the action to a war-consumed Africa complete with an open-ended storyline involving civil war, several hours of missions, heated gunplay, and a slew of dynamic elements powered by a new engine.

Far Cry 2 - Vastly misunderstood and underrated.

• 51 results
    Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Keyser_Soze

Very few games this gen in particular have been as dismissed and whole heartedly misunderstood with punitive impatience being accorded to them as Far Cry 2. It's a crime, a sham of a travesty of a mockery of a sham. I'll keep this brief.

This game is awesome, I mean awesome. Don't expect Halo, Oblivion or Call of Duty or whatever preconceived notion of whatever this game should have been, but expect only what the developers actually produced. Fantastic, breath taking visuals creating a world which is dense and sparse at the same time, open and claustrophobic, where reality and fiction meet head long at a guard post. 

Very good single player, vastly underrated multiplayer, best map editor I've ever seen on a console, subdued minimalist soundtrack, and an experience first and foremost.

People complained about a lot of small niggles which hindered this game from being truly great, but over the past few months Ubisoft has patched up many complaints including the following:

• Rebalanced weapons online, bullets do more damage, no more empty clip scenarios.
    • Hardcore mode added, basically CODesque "real" life damage model.
    • Patched up save game glitch where the save file would become corrupted.
    • Added custom maps to Ranked matches for more diversity.
    • Patched multiplayer lobby issues.
    • Full list here.

Go back and do yourselves, your family, your people, your country a service and play this game one more time.
    vexx919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By vexx919

i liked farcry 2 but i still had problems 

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Pie

I just couldnt be bothered with it really. I really enjoyed the ambushes and assasanation missions aswell as the half of the main game i tried but its just getting to places

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Venatio

I finished the game and liked it but dude, there is soo much driving, it really annoyed me

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By RHCPfan24

I really liked the game honestly; glad someone agrees. Yeah, it had its problems (combat was a bit janky at parts; AI was too smart sometimes), but the world, graphics, weapons, and overall feeling were pretty sweet. 

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hitchenson

I personally thought it was a great game, but it did have a ton of problems and I do understand why a lot of people don't like the game.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jimbo

It had it's share of problems, but it was still a great game.  At least they tried to make something a little innovative rather than staying in the 'current gen' comfort zone that has been formed.  Like so many Ubisoft games, I feel it was just a few odd design decisions away from being considered a masterpiece.  Whilst it may not technically be as graphically impressive as Crysis, for my money it's the best looking game to date.

I will always appreciate games like this - even with their flaws - more than say Gears 2 and the 101 other cover shooters we've been subjected to this gen.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

Putting aside the fact that you are playing Devil's advocate here, Keyser... 

First, I kind of feel ya on this one.  I didn't enjoy Far Cry 2 at all when it first came out, even after a good helping of off-and-online modes.  After a while, though, I picked it back up, and thanks to a lot of patching, the game was pretty damn nice.  Here's the issue:  it took a lot of patching.  When the game came out, it was a mess.  Granted, it was a mess that people could see as being something awesome...but it was still a mess.  The hyped-up AI wasn't nearly as good as we were made to believe, the graphics were glitchy, the multiplayer was *ahem* below average, and the only thing to scream home about pretty much WAS the map editor.  On top of which, we had this rich playground to wander around, yet it always still felt like a completely open and EMPTY world. 

Now, looking at the game, it's beautiful, gorgeous, fun to play, but still with flaws.  The multiplayer is alright, but the feel of it still doesn't add up to some other games.  The animations still look stiff on character models, the hit detection on your weapon still doesn't feel quite right, and that damn slide is a bit annoying.  Regardless, I enjoy the multiplayer and wish more people would give it another go.  The single player is pretty much untouched, but the map is incredibly expansive and you'll enjoy it as long as you are cool with being alone without a human in sight for a little bit at a time.  Far Cry 2 shows off what it is better than most:  a massively glorified tech demo for an engine that no one wanted to license.  Personally, I still don't want to drive for 10-15 minutes between places just to kill enemies in less than a minute, and then have to drive 20 minutes somewhere else to complete a quest.  The story feels disjointed at times, as most things do when you have free choice available to you. 

Far Cry 2 is a good game.  However, you said "don't expect Halo, Oblivion, or Call of Duty".  Well, there is a reason that those games are held on high - they are a pedigree in game design.  Okay, personally, I don't think Oblivion is...but whatever.  As a consumer, people have plenty of right to go into a game with expectations that are set by other titles, as those other titles are what challenge other game developers to go above and beyond that.  So no, Far Cry 2 is not Halo or Oblivion or Call of Duty.  It is a lesser game than those.  That doesn't mean that it's a bad game.  It means exactly what you said - it's a misunderstood game that is given little chance. 

In turn, I think I'm going to plug that in after work today and rock out with my cock out.

Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Kr3lian

I am currently playing Far Cry 2 - and it is fun enough - but it is silly that the game proposes that I carefully plan out a stealthy plan of attack at some locale, but the moment I take a fucking shot every baddie in a 2 mile radius is on my ass like white on rice.

I have taken to lighting everything on fire and shooting the fleeing bastards in the back.  Less subtle, but it gets the job done :P

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By bwooduhs

Im currently replaying it and am realising the great game i had previously overlooked.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By AndrewB

This message brought to you by Ubisoft.

Actually, I agree that Far Cry 2 was an excellent game. An excellent game I'll never quite finish, since I lost my save files from late in the game, but an excellent game, nonetheless.

The one problem with the game has already been mentioned to death everywhere... respawning enemy checkpoints coupled with AI that hones in on you for making a single sound.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By snide

I've been making my way through Far Cry 2 over the past weekend and have to agree with the OP. I really didn't give this one much of a chance when it originally came out and for one reason or another it sat on my shelf gathering dust. Out of boredom this weekend I reinstalled and have to say I'm pretty impressed with the scope and beauty of the world in this game. Sure, the random Jeep and checkpoint garbage is a little annoying, but at the same time I kind of enjoy the anything can happen tension that I enjoy. 

Added it to my list of under rated games.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By yakov456

I just started to play this and must say, I'm pretty impressed. Was not expecting it but I can't put down the controller. It's a bit difficult at times but it only adds to the depth of the game.

mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mhkjtha

the game had absolutely no pacing and the missions where really lame and anti-climactic. it was boring and everything you did felt pointless.
    it still has the best health system ive ever seen in an fps ever tho

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jmrwacko
    @mhkjtha said:
    " the game had absolutely no pacing and the missions where really lame and anti-climactic. it was boring and everything you did felt pointless. it still has the best health system ive ever seen in an fps ever tho "
    You mean clawing hundreds of bullets out of your chest, one by one?
    VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By VisariLoyalist

YES!!!!!!
    far cry was amazing

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By mrfizzy
    @Keyser_Soze: If the game didnt have enemies respawn almost straights after you kill them, didnt have so many checkpoints or a system where you could clear a checkpoint out for good and if it had a better quick travel system then i would have loved it. unfortunately it didnt have any of those things. 
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pause422

I really doubt there are going to be much of a community still playing this, on any platform. As for my feelings on the game, I pretty much hated it.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hatking

I have to say, first and foremost, I hated the multiplayer.  I'm not much of one for multiplayer to begin with, but I can usually stand to play a few matches before going back to why I'm playing the game.  This I just can't stand to play more than one match in a row, it just isn't fun to me. 

The single I'll say has its moments.  When you actually get to a mission things are pretty fun, but the travel system is totally fucked.  Sad thing is they'd really only have to change one or two things to fix that.  Either make it to where outposts don't respawn or make a fast travel system worth using.  Also it'd be nice if not every mother fucker in a ten mile radius hated you.  Maybe in a sequel you're working for a faction which slowly takes over the map, Mercenaries style.  I just found it annoying that every time I wanted to do a mission I'd have to fight half an hour both ways just getting there.  Not a patience or attention span thing, it is just a poor design choice, it crosses the line of endurance to fucking torture.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The combat mechanics in the game are good enough... But it's still a terrible game to play. Suddenly after the introduction (which was awesome), apparently the entire country wants you dead. You can't build a convincing world without good characters, and FC2 has none. The game is easy, but it's frustrating to play because the battles are so frequent as to be extremely repetitive, but there is no real motivation to keep fighting them.

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jack_daniels
    @Keyser_Soze:   

Graphics are just so pretty! Especially at 60 fps!

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By schizogony

It's my favorite game of 2008, I just re-bought it via Xbox Games on Demand along with the Fortunes Pack (which I also got on PS3) AAAAND I play the multiplayer often; I love this game.

Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Turtlemayor333

Call me a troll but I gave Far Cry 2 plenty of chances and fully agree with the apparent majority that hates the game. I'll go ahead and say the multiplayer was never a concern of mine and for all I know it's amazing, but the singleplayer just wasn't fun for me in the least. I can appreciate that they took chances, and some of the concepts were awesome, but the execution simply was not.

The two words "boring" and "repetitive" immediately come to mind. As someone who usually enjoys doing side quests in open world games, the distance between (repetitive) objectives and the fact that entire enemy camps would respawn as soon as I turned my back immediately turned me off. At least for the first five hours every gun you can purchase not only sucks, but never has enough ammo either. So then you're trying to pick up the rusty guns from the enemies that also suck and now jam every so often. The best way to kill things on the hard difficulty is running them over in the jeep.

ColMirage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ColMirage

I put Far Cry 2 aside when my buddy got wounded in combat and killed him by overdose trying to get him back up :|.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#25  Edited By delta_ass

I don't think I misunderstood the guard checkpoints respawning after 2 minutes and patrols ramming into your vehicle all the time.

shinali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shinali

I felt that Far Cry 2 was possibly one of the best games in 2008 that was just unbearable to play. Weird, right? 

I thought all the little annoyances like jamming and jamming a bullet out of your arm with a finger added up to a great experience with uncertainty in every confrontation. Hell, I didn't know I could kill a partner by overdose like ColMirage mentioned, and that sounds awesome! Not to mention that the health system seemed to be a great compromise between modern day and past shooters. 

Of course there are disappointments like the AI not being as good as advertised, the travel system and so forth. AI could be overlooked though and the travel system was alright if you tried to utilize the fast travel system in every way possible. 

The one thing that brought everything to shit was the god damned respawning check points.  

God damnit nothing pisses me off about a video game more. Not that it's just annoying, but it's a fucking simple thing to fix that'll make the game better exponentially. It irks me even more when I read some quote from a developer that acknowledged this very problem and wished he would have fixed this. What in the flying fuck, ubisoft? 

One thing, it kills the uncertainty of conflicts because you know every fucking approach vector with every stupid check point because you went through it about a million times! That makes each encounter with these nuggets of stupid gameplay a god damned chore, especially when you need to travel from one side of the map to another. This is especially worse for me as I'm a surgical mother fucker. I like to make my strikes clean god damnit, and that means taking my time approaching the gaggle of bumblefuck AI which makes me want to kill myself. That depresses me because I just realized I'd consider suicide over a fucking video game. 

You know what other thing that the bane of my existence worsens? Travelling! It makes it longer! I don't want to write a paragraph over this! 

Were the playtesters high or something? I've known some stoners that are cool with repetition. Maybe that would explain overlooking this black hole of fun. This one thing ruins two major points to this game; gunplay and the open-world. If they had the checkpoints respawn in a couple game days or week... man, it'd answer for all my wishes for that Far Cry game with no trigen. What if ubisoft did that and polished the AI, put in a little more fast travel points and made the game a little more modifiable? I may have orgasmed. 

All this could have been done with a just more time spent on development or after market support. Again, what the flying fuck, ubisoft?

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @snide said:

" I've been making my way through Far Cry 2 over the past weekend and have to agree with the OP. I really didn't give this one much of a chance when it originally came out and for one reason or another it sat on my shelf gathering dust. Out of boredom this weekend I reinstalled and have to say I'm pretty impressed with the scope and beauty of the world in this game. Sure, the random Jeep and checkpoint garbage is a little annoying, but at the same time I kind of enjoy the anything can happen tension that I enjoy. 

Added it to my list of under rated games. "

its too bad that i ended up just getting rid of it instead of playing it again. I remember defending it just as much as the OP. But also remember lots of little annoyances driving me crazy until I took it out and never touched it again.  

One thing I felt jipped on was the stealth stuff. I remember in the videos from the devs before the game was released that you could approach a target from afar and use your map and binoculars to mark targets and quietly take them out on by one. But In the game that I played, that was nowhere to be found unless its a feature unlocked later on in the game. Whenever I would try to be stealthy and take out the enemies one by one it felt impossible. I would shoot one guy with a sniper rifle from really far away. Within seconds every single man on the base would be aware of my EXACT position, and start shooting at me. The part that was the most annoying was how accurate they always seemed to be with those rusty ak-47's. I mean, these guys might have been getting lucky but dude.... It just felt like they were always more accurate than I was and that doesn't seem fair at all, especially considering my gun was always a really nice one, and not some rusty crap that they were holding. 

okay rant over. 
    Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Alex_V

It's a brilliant game. Affecting too - it actually forces you to confront your own violent nature. A game for intelligent adults.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AuthenticM

I would like the game if the controls/aiming weren't fucking shitty. Ubisoft really has a hard time with their shooters. The original Far Cry for Xbox and Xbox 360 was the same, just awful, awful aiming.

@Alex_V:  
    Don't overanalyze it, please.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By owl_of_minerva

I've heard very good things about the way moral choices and ramifications work in Farcry 2 as well, which makes me want to give it a shot. I have a copy, just haven't had a chance to play it.

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By tranquilchaos

I love Far Cry 2. I never understood the hate.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Say what you want about the game, but I thought it was one of the most boring and tedious games I have ever played in my life. The game just wasn't fun to play at all.

So to me it's completely baffling that some sites gave the game scores of 80-90. If you ask me it's one of the most overrated games ever.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By spankingaddict
    @Venatio said:
    " I finished the game and liked it but dude, there is soo much driving, it really annoyed me "
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jimbo

I think the idea was that you travel by river, or detour around the checkpoints, instead of just blundering into them repeatedly.  I agree that this could have been made clearer in the game.  The checkpoint issue was blown out of all proportion imo - if you were prepared to think about it for a few seconds and adopt your play style, it was easily negated.  I appreciate that most people aren't prepared to do that anymore, and Ubisoft should have taken that this into account.

Ubisoft should have taken another swing at this franchise, because - just like AC - even though a lot of people had issues with it, I don't think it would have taken much for Ubisoft to win those people around with a few changes.  FC2 is still one of the highlights of this gen for me.

Mistzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mistzero

there was no direction in the singleplayer and that typhoid fever thing was really annoying to say the least.  also too many faction ingame and the map for faction location was bad; but i agree that the game did look gorgeous

Mistzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mistzero
    @HatKing said:
    " I have to say, first and foremost, I hated the multiplayer.  I'm not much of one for multiplayer to begin with, but I can usually stand to play a few matches before going back to why I'm playing the game.  This I just can't stand to play more than one match in a row, it just isn't fun to me.  The single I'll say has its moments.  When you actually get to a mission things are pretty fun, but the travel system is totally fucked.  Sad thing is they'd really only have to change one or two things to fix that.  Either make it to where outposts don't respawn or make a fast travel system worth using.  Also it'd be nice if not every mother fucker in a ten mile radius hated you.  Maybe in a sequel you're working for a faction which slowly takes over the map, Mercenaries style.  I just found it annoying that every time I wanted to do a mission I'd have to fight half an hour both ways just getting there.  Not a patience or attention span thing, it is just a poor design choice, it crosses the line of endurance to fucking torture. "
    agree
    Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Alex_V
    @AuthenticM said:
    @Alex_V:   Don't overanalyze it, please. "
    Lol is one sentence over-analysis? Don't underanalyse - it cheapens the experience :).
    noahrc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By noahrc

I agree that the mission structure in FC2 was too repetitive and enemies respawned too quickly. However, I would argue that FC2 single player was a great experience for me because of it's frustrating moments. The game constantly forced you to make difficult decisions and rethink your strategies based on your current equipment, surroundings and whatever unexpected problems came up. Some typical decisions you might face on any given mission, include: 

Do you try to drive through an outpost, around it, or clear it out from a distance?
    Do you fix your steaming engine, try to keep driving to safety, switch to the mounted gun or ditch the vehicle and run?
    Do you clear a weapon jam or switch to a different one?
    Do you heal your buddy or risk his death and clear the area?
    Do you take malaria pills or wait for the effects to wear off, and risk eventually collapsing?
    Do you keep a good weapon with no ammo or pick up one that might jam?

Obviously, not everyone enjoys facing these kinds of decisions, but for me they made the world feel much more realistic and dangerous.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AuthenticM
    @Alex_V:
    There is nothing to analyze in this game. You won't find any social commentary of any kind or no teaching whatsoever.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pweidman
    @Bellum said:
    "The combat mechanics in the game are good enough... But it's still a terrible game to play. Suddenly after the introduction (which was awesome), apparently the entire country wants you dead. You can't build a convincing world without good characters, and FC2 has none. The game is easy, but it's frustrating to play because the battles are so frequent as to be extremely repetitive, but there is no real motivation to keep fighting them. "

This is precisely  why I quit playing it.  Repetitve to the point of major annoyance, and the story provided next to no motivation.  Obviously the game wasn't done, and another mark on the long list of lame decisions by UBI.
    immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By immike

I disagree and think it is a boring, repetitive first person shooter that could have been so much more.

Ataxia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ataxia

I agree, unlike alot of people I love this game, played it to dead last summer :)

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kishan6

this game COULD have been great but some issues just kept it from being so 
    kind of reminds me how turok was ruined by horrible checkpoints spread out few and far between

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HitmanAgent47

If anything, it's overated, fustrating too much check point game that takes forever to get to your objective.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ch3burashka

Story is what interests me, and Far Cry 2's 'story' only picks up during the last 20 minutes. Until then it's a grindfest, albeit an enjoyable one. It's one of those games I played on silent with my own music running in the background.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Alex_V
    @AuthenticM said:
    " @Alex_V: There is nothing to analyze in this game. You won't find any social commentary of any kind or no teaching whatsoever. "
    Oh I think that's utterly untrue. Without wanting to give out spoilers, there's an element to which the Jackal and you are the same - you're forced to confront the nature of your own contribution. It's obviously intentional - I've seen it described in close comparison with Fight Club. It's also by its very nature a political commentary on first world meddling with third world. And there's a bit of philosophy in there as well And this is before you look at the game mechanics themselves - the buddy system is particularly novel and interesting. 

In these terms I think Far Cry 2 is one of the most thematically rich games of the past few years. I find it amazing that anyone could play the game and miss these areas of interest.

I actually think you can analyse anything in any game, and you will find ideas that resonate and are interesting. That's the thing that gives games genuine worth over and above just being a likable timewaster. I think you're missing out if you ignore this.
    sandweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By sandweed

I played it before they fixed the corupting savegame bug, let me tell you how fun that was.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @Alex_V:  In support of what you're saying, I found this comment on Clint Hocking's website (one of the designers of FC2 for those who haven't heard of him). I think the moral questions were certainly intended by the team, but game writing is easy to overlook when it isn't interrupting the flow of the game and clearly stating "story moment here".

"The game had at least half a dozen little moments in which you could make a choice about whether to kill a certain person whose death was not necessary to the mission or the story--the deejay at the radio station, for instance--and the fact that the game does not drop everything to advertise MORAL CHOICE HERE! was, for me, incredibly affecting. It was just me, my gun, and a defenseless--if icky--human being on the other end of it. And when I plugged him in the forehead, and he dropped, nothing in the game let me know that my choice had been registered by some watcher god of morality. It was just another death in a lonely place; I was allowed to reflect on my choice, before leaving the room and stepping back into a hornet's nest of relentless violence. On another play-through, though, I slowly backed out of the room and let the guy live--and my decision to spare him felt just as weirdly intense. I don't mind moral choices; in fact, they're a large part of why I like to play games. But when moral choices becomes a game mechanic, it feels somehow cheap, because my emotions are no longer ambiguously in play."
    Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Chuggsy

rohanspear345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By rohanspear345

id like it if you could actually join one of the factions and have allies instead of having to shoot EVERYONE EVERYWHERE. and i think like it shoulda had like a saints row territory  type system so u could actually see progress of your faction

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.