Game ending bug - NPCs don't talk anymore. :O

#1 Posted by Hamst3r (4436 posts) -

Far Cry 2 gets a lot of guff. Some of it I agree with, but I've been enjoying it so far. I'm about 40% through it, according to the stats screen.

Anyways. Earlier today, upon completing a mission, I answered the in-game cellphone and hung it up immediately. I thought, "wtf?" so I reloaded my save from just before that and tried again and the same thing happened. There's no call, he just lifts the phone up and then puts it back down again.

So, I went to the safehouse with my buddy character and he wouldn't talk anymore. He emotes like he's supposed to be talking but doesn't actually say anything, so I couldn't complete the buddy mission.

I figured, the easiest way to correct weird ass problems like that is to load an old save from before the mission with the problem. I did that, went to go get a mission and it didn't work. The guy at the door won't talk, so I can't get in to the faction buildings.

I can get into the Underground locations, but they don't talk.

Whatever has gone wrong is happening in all my old save files.

Did anyone else run into this completely bizarre bug? I couldn't find anything useful about it.
#2 Posted by Bubahula (2197 posts) -

huh, i've never encountered that, but im playing on 360 so i dont know
#3 Edited by buzz_clik (6892 posts) -

Oh, dude... that sucks the big one. I haven't run into it, but at 50% in there's still plenty of opportunity for my game to decide it hates me.

It's a shame, because it's such a great game riddled with bizarre and fatal bugs. Condolences.

#4 Posted by Heydeech (2 posts) -

This same thing happened to me today.  I've already beaten the game a few times but I felt like playing it again, now i can't do anything because I cant talk to anyone.  I completed the mission as normal when my buddy wouldn't talk and now I can't get into faction buildings or anything.

#5 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

I never came across any problems like that when I played Far Cry 2. 

Well the occasional enemy AI being completely oblivious to his surroundings.

#6 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

Ha! You're lucky! I couldn't even use my guns at all when I reloaded my old game. Even closing the game and starting it didn't help. At that point I was so fed up with it Im never going to play it again.

#7 Posted by Hamst3r (4436 posts) -
@Heydeech: I figure out how to fix it. 

If you're playing the Steam version, go to the properties for it in Steam and have it scan the local cache. Mine ended up redownloaded a few hundred megabytes of stuff.

If you're using a retail copy, I'm sure reinstalling it would accomplish the same thing.
#8 Posted by bwooduhs (1616 posts) -

I played through recently and didn't encounter this. Good luck though.

#9 Posted by Heydeech (2 posts) -
@Hamst3r: cool thanks, ive got the steam, ill gve it a shot.
#10 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

so i see that the problem is solved? 

/thread

#11 Posted by PeasForFees (2408 posts) -
@Hamst3r said:
" @Heydeech: I figure out how to fix it.    If you're playing the Steam version, go to the properties for it in Steam and have it scan the local cache. Mine ended up redownloaded a few hundred megabytes of stuff. If you're using a retail copy, I'm sure reinstalling it would accomplish the same thing. "
Dude unlucky, you could have saved yourself wasting 15 of the 30 hours to play it, something I regret playing
#12 Posted by Gorillawhat (1259 posts) -

Maybe you accidentally pressed the mute button? :P

#13 Posted by Karmum (11516 posts) -
@Gorillawhat said:
" Maybe you accidentally pressed the mute button? :P "
Wouldn't he know if he had the sound on when he heard the sound of his guns, or driving across the terrain?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.