Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 21, 2008

The sequel to the original Far Cry dispenses with Jack Carver, and moves the action to a war-consumed Africa complete with an open-ended storyline involving civil war, several hours of missions, heated gunplay, and a slew of dynamic elements powered by a new engine.

How Good Is Far Cry 2

marcusfriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By marcusfriendly

I was wonder since I thought this game looked interesting, how good it was. Anyone want to comment?

This picture is awesome!
    This picture is awesome!
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By BiggerBomb

I'd give it a disappointing/10....

4 Stars is a legitimate grade for Brad to have given it, but there is something about the game that makes it feel like somewhat more of a chore than a fun activity to do. Is it fun? Yes, very. Are there other games that you should buy instead of this? Yes, many.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kush

I think it does a lot of things rather well, but the few things it messes up are so annoying and could have such easy remedies that I just ended up getting rid of the game. I had high expectations for the game and I left disappointed...if you're not expecting one of the best games of the year then you'll probably be satisfied. It also had a surprisingly fun MP component.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kmdrkul

Metacritic is your friend.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kush
    kmdrkul said:
    "Metacritic is your friend."
    No it's not...a number doesn't mean anything.
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kmdrkul
    Kush said:
    "kmdrkul said:
    No it's not...a number doesn't mean anything."
    Yes, it does.  Getting a general consensus based on how all the gaming websites feel about a particular game is infinitely helpful.  Of course it is always you yourself who should try it out and judge the game based off of your own tastes, but in the end you will always check to read the reviews and see the scores to see if the quality of the game itself is up to industry standards.  If you ask "how good" Far Cry 2 is, then you can find out via the scores.  Asking what people thought and their personal opinions is something entirely different.  The game has a high Metacritic score, thus it is a "good" game. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Lot of fun in the beginning, but gets very dull very fast.

DavidLeeRoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By DavidLeeRoth

I would skip it. The little gimmicks like fire propagation and "freedom" are neat but quickly lose their novelty. Combat can be really fun at times, while at others it's just plain annoying. It's one of the few first person shooters where I've actually became aggravated that I had to shoot an enemy. I found that it eventually turned into a constant grind to with little reward. However the game looks good, some of the weapons are really fun to use and at times the combat can become quite intense. Unfortunately there aren't enough of those fun elements and far too many annoyances. Much like Kush, I had high expectations going in but came out disappointed.

GCOKemuel15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GCOKemuel15

I didn't like the game at all because I'm new to the game and it's like .................... the hole time.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jayge_

I'm still playing it and still liking it.

keann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By keann

A good game, of that there is no doubt. I think for the most part the biggest problem with Far Cry 2 is that it gives you freedom...to an extent, it gives freedom whilst maintaining a certain amount of linearity. I felt it would have been a far better game if the developers had decided either way.

Still, good game - i felt got better with time.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Milkman

It's a COOL game. The healing yourself thing is gross but cool. The flamethrower is cool. Repairing cars is cool. The game just has a lot of very cool things going for it. However, does this cool translate into fun? More often than not....no.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Milkman

It's a COOL game. The healing yourself thing is gross but cool. The flamethrower is cool. Repairing cars is cool. The game just has a lot of very cool things going for it. However, does this cool translate into fun? More often than not....no.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By godzilla_sushi

It's okay?

I get headaches playing it though.... :(

You could find a lot to like if your willing to put in the time and deal with the random yet frequent gun fights. I think the game feels more like work than fun, but that's just me!

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Gunner

Its pretty ok, not the best game but if you have ever wanted to be a mercenary in africa, im sure you would like it.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pause422
    kmdrkul said:
    Uh, no. Out of anything that anyone would even attempt to go by and look at things at, metacritic is the last possible thing anyone should check. Metacritic needs to die already. Far Cry 2 I think is a pretty good shooter, just not what everyone is used to, and some things that it does it does quite well. Other's, depending on the player,(some of it at least) are just between kinda weird design choices, or just things that will annoy you to the point that you won't want to play it. I'd say rent it and play the hell out of it when you can, and you'll see if you're into it or not. If so, then give it a buy , cuz its  apretty decent length game with a lot to it, if not, at least you'll know.
    xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By xplodedd

intro is great, but it gets old nd boring fast kinda.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kmdrkul
    pause422 said:
    "kmdrkul said:
    Uh, no. Out of anything that anyone would even attempt to go by and look at things at, metacritic is the last possible thing anyone should check. Metacritic needs to die already. Far Cry 2 I think is a pretty good shooter, just not what everyone is used to, and some things that it does it does quite well. Other's, depending on the player,(some of it at least) are just between kinda weird design choices, or just things that will annoy you to the point that you won't want to play it. I'd say rent it and play the hell out of it when you can, and you'll see if you're into it or not. If so, then give it a buy , cuz its  apretty decent length game with a lot to it, if not, at least you'll know."
    For what reasons do you believe Metacritic should be the last thing anyone should check, then?
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BiggerBomb
    kmdrkul said:
    "pause422 said:
    "kmdrkul said:
    Uh, no. Out of anything that anyone would even attempt to go by and look at things at, metacritic is the last possible thing anyone should check. Metacritic needs to die already. Far Cry 2 I think is a pretty good shooter, just not what everyone is used to, and some things that it does it does quite well. Other's, depending on the player,(some of it at least) are just between kinda weird design choices, or just things that will annoy you to the point that you won't want to play it. I'd say rent it and play the hell out of it when you can, and you'll see if you're into it or not. If so, then give it a buy , cuz its  apretty decent length game with a lot to it, if not, at least you'll know."
    For what reasons do you believe Metacritic should be the last thing anyone should check, then?"

It is notoriously inaccurate. They distort figures so the percentages submitted to Metacritic are in no way representative of the review and score a game recieves.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kush
    kmdrkul said:
    "For what reasons do you believe Metacritic should be the last thing anyone should check, then?"
    It's quite simple...Judging a game based solely on the numbers and not reading even one paragraph is a horrible way to judge a game.
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By super_machine

Its good... when the game doesn't totally stab you in the back half way through after spending hours and hours collecting all the god damn diamonds. Then to have to do it all over again because some French jerk off couldn't code an event trigger if his life counted on it.!!! :(

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ieatlions

9 stupid animals out 11 malaria pills

Halopower67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Halopower67

its pretty awesome, its extremely realistic in a sense that you have to force the bullets out of your skin when yore shot , and that in a middle of a shootout is not nice.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By jakob187

I was super psyched to get my damn hands on this game finally when it launched, but after playing it for about 8% of the game, that alone made me feel bile coming up through my esophagus.  While a lot of the ideas of the game sounded great on paper and in trailers, they were fucking annoying as all Hell in-game.  Weapon decay is always shitty, but now you can add weapon JAMMING to that.  Bleck.  The world is huge and expansive, which is cool...but grass isn't very interesting, and open savannahs are flat and boring most of the time.  The animations were stiff, the gunplay was subpar, and the faction rivalry seemed like nothing pertinent since EVERYONE seems to like turning you into target practice.  The healing mechanic was something that I thoroughly liked.  No auto or quick save function on 360 sucks balls.  The graphic glitches have been fixed for the most part on the 360 version as well, although the way the shadowing is done annoys the hell out of me.

I picked the game up again today coincidentally, just for something different to play outside of L4D and Fallout 3.  I enjoyed it a bit more this time around, but the multiplayer is still complete and utter ass.

Oh, did I mention that?  Multiplayer is fucking horrible on this game.  A MASSIVE waste of time, space, and money.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By RHCPfan24

I am still playing it and enjoying it. I don't see where most of the complaints are coming from because if you put it on normal difficulty, the whole "I die everywhere I turn" problem isn't as apparent. 

mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mikevanpwn

I played through Far Cry 2 and plan to do so again some time.  I really enjoyed the game.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Black_Raven
    Kush said:
    "kmdrkul said:
    "For what reasons do you believe Metacritic should be the last thing anyone should check, then?"
    It's quite simple...Judging a game based solely on the numbers and not reading even one paragraph is a horrible way to judge a game."
    I don't use Metacritic but it sounds like a good way to get a general idea of how good a game is. Of course you should also read a couple of reviews, to me it sounds like a good place to check first, not last.
    Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Colonel_Fury

Its a solid game. However it feels like a grind sometimes (mainly the random gun truck attacks). Its worth a rental or a buy if its cheap (40 dollars or less).

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pibo47

Far Cry 2 sucks dont get it.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It's one of the most fustrating games ever created. The levels are too big, you can't drive anywhere without your vechicle getting stuck non stop, you can't drive past a check point without being stuck fighting ppl and they will shoot your vechicle out, there is a respawning checkpoint at every corner, it takes forever to get to your objective, guns jams non stop in the middle of battle if you didn't buy it. I bought it on steam for $15 and I regretted it.

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By Gmanall

I wish that they didnt go to the desert that made things seem dull and dirty.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Linkyshinks

It's not great.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By raven_squad

I personally hated Farcry 2. I made a promise to myself that I would stop getting ripped of by Gamestop with there terrible trade in prices. This game made me break that promise. I was happy to get anything I could for that piece of garbage. 

The gun play is awful, it lacks direction, traveling between missions is time consuming and frustrating, characters are one dimensional, voice acting is atrocious, theres maybe a handful of different missions objectives that are repeated throught the entire game...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.