Map making: A little too hard?

#1 Posted by TheGamerGeek (2498 posts) -

It seems very tough to me, there's no tutorial, the camera is hard to control, and I've yet to find out how to add terrain. Can anybody throw me a few pointers?

#2 Posted by LtColJaxson (1137 posts) -
TheGamerGeek said:
"It seems very tough to me, there's no tutorial, the camera is hard to control, and I've yet to find out how to add terrain. Can anybody throw me a few pointers?"
Which version? PC? or Console?
#3 Posted by TheGamerGeek (2498 posts) -

PS3 version

#4 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

it seems so...broken compared to the lbp beta.

#5 Posted by LtColJaxson (1137 posts) -
TheGamerGeek said:
"PS3 version"
I have the PC version, but I still may be able to help you out.

I was gonna upload a picture, but it doesn't seem to be working. To add terrain you have to press a button that has a + and a tree beside it. I dunno if it is the same for the consoles.

The editor is very good imo and easy to use once you get used to the camera.
#6 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -
LtColJaxson said:
"TheGamerGeek said:
"PS3 version"
I have the PC version, but I still may be able to help you out.

I was gonna upload a picture, but it doesn't seem to be working. To add terrain you have to press a button that has a + and a tree beside it. I dunno if it is the same for the consoles.

The editor is very good imo and easy to use once you get used to the camera.
"
yeah its on the ps3 version. i messed around with it for about a hour. its ok but it could have been a little better but o well.
#7 Edited by LtColJaxson (1137 posts) -
+Tree
#8 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -
LtColJaxson said:
"
+Tree
"
how long did it take you to make that?
#9 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

Something like that might take you about 10 or 15 minutes, depending on how much Jaxson has in the background. It's hard to get the hang of in terms of camera at first, but you have to understand that this isn't a LittleBigPlanet editor, this is the closest thing to a PC map editor they've ever put on consoles. It's got a shit-ton more models, 3d alterations to be made, environmental and terrain things to take into effect, texture painting, building placements, etc. etc.

It's actually very intuitive from the radial menu. Press whatever your PS3 version has to bring that up, select whatever you want to do (environmental settings, object placement, object editing, for example) and then look on the bottom left for even more indepth menus and options. Use the d-pad to manipulate those. The rest of the controls for the things are right there on the screen. Very straight-forward. The one thing I'd been having trouble with in my little design experiments was creating rivers, and that was only until I realized that I had to raise the water level and sink the land in combination to make the river fill in.

It takes a while to master it, but it's definitely not too hard. It is very, very well done.

#10 Posted by TheGamerGeek (2498 posts) -
Jayge said:
"Something like that might take you about 10 or 15 minutes, depending on how much Jaxson has in the background. It's hard to get the hang of in terms of camera at first, but you have to understand that this isn't a LittleBigPlanet editor, this is the closest thing to a PC map editor they've ever put on consoles. It's got a shit-ton more models, 3d alterations to be made, environmental and terrain things to take into effect, texture painting, building placements, etc. etc.

It's actually very intuitive from the radial menu. Press whatever your PS3 version has to bring that up, select whatever you want to do (environmental settings, object placement, object editing, for example) and then look on the bottom left for even more indepth menus and options. Use the d-pad to manipulate those. The rest of the controls for the things are right there on the screen. Very straight-forward. The one thing I'd been having trouble with in my little design experiments was creating rivers, and that was only until I realized that I had to raise the water level and sink the land in combination to make the river fill in.

It takes a while to master it, but it's definitely not too hard. It is very, very well done."
OK, can you make bridges good? I just plain can't make them... I mean, I place it but it never connects to both ends of the mountain or whatever I want to connect it too.
#11 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

Bridges? Sure. An easy way to make your bridges fit perfectly is to place them where you want them, and if there is space between the bridge and the ground or other problems like that, just use the Bump tool (first thing on the Terrain list) to bump it up, and then the Smooth tool to smooth it out and it'll look good.

If you're trying to make a bridge extend much farther than it was designed for, I don't know how to help really. They don't give any real extensions or anything like that.

#12 Posted by LtColJaxson (1137 posts) -
TheGamerGeek said:
"Jayge said:
"Something like that might take you about 10 or 15 minutes, depending on how much Jaxson has in the background. It's hard to get the hang of in terms of camera at first, but you have to understand that this isn't a LittleBigPlanet editor, this is the closest thing to a PC map editor they've ever put on consoles. It's got a shit-ton more models, 3d alterations to be made, environmental and terrain things to take into effect, texture painting, building placements, etc. etc.

It's actually very intuitive from the radial menu. Press whatever your PS3 version has to bring that up, select whatever you want to do (environmental settings, object placement, object editing, for example) and then look on the bottom left for even more indepth menus and options. Use the d-pad to manipulate those. The rest of the controls for the things are right there on the screen. Very straight-forward. The one thing I'd been having trouble with in my little design experiments was creating rivers, and that was only until I realized that I had to raise the water level and sink the land in combination to make the river fill in.

It takes a while to master it, but it's definitely not too hard. It is very, very well done."
OK, can you make bridges good? I just plain can't make them... I mean, I place it but it never connects to both ends of the mountain or whatever I want to connect it too."
You have to move it to the place, and then place it - even if it isn't where you want it height wise. Then using the move tool, there is a little blue arrow and you can raise it to where you want. And pieces snap in too.

shadows_kill said:
"LtColJaxson said:
"
+Tree
"
how long did it take you to make that?"
It took about half an hour, because at first I didn't know how to connect bridge pieces. The whole map took me a few hours just making it look perfect with painted textures - and small details.
#13 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

Man, I really wanna fool around with the map editor...but I really wanna fool around with the game too...and I really wanna fool around with the multiplayer...

GRRRR!!!!  SO MUCH TO DO!!!

And man, the map editor makes pretty stuff!!!
#14 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -

if it's anything like far cry on the xbox, then it's not hard, imo that is, I thought it was fairly easy to use, and you could create awesome maps with it.

#15 Posted by cgrady (99 posts) -

Besides the occasional camera problem in 3D mode, I find it very easy and fun

#16 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
LtColJaxson said:
"You have to move it to the place, and then place it - even if it isn't where you want it height wise. Then using the move tool, there is a little blue arrow and you can raise it to where you want. And pieces snap in too.

"
There's something I didn't even know. Cool.

Also, if you want to make a bridge with a roof over it, just use the first couple Fishing huts, they fit perfectly with the Car bridge things.
#17 Posted by Bubahula (2197 posts) -

i think that its definitly the easiest editor to use i dont know how it could be seen as tricky

#18 Posted by pissedoffthewitch (516 posts) -

building an actual, working, decent level takes allot of time just like in little big planet or any other level editor

#19 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

It's a powerful well designed EASY editor, and I'm surprised more people don't seem to be crazy about it.  Everyone always talks about how they love mods and maps and then when we get a high quality feature that everyone can take advantage of, only a few thousand people really take advantage of it.  My theory is most people don't really want unprofessional mods of any kind.


This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.