Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 21, 2008

The sequel to the original Far Cry dispenses with Jack Carver, and moves the action to a war-consumed Africa complete with an open-ended storyline involving civil war, several hours of missions, heated gunplay, and a slew of dynamic elements powered by a new engine.

On a Whim: Far Cry 2

gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By gpbmike

No Caption Provided
    From time to time I'll buy a game on a whim. Steam makes it a little too easy to purchase on demand. Usually I'll be bored, look through my Steam game list, and then move on to see what's on sale. This time I noticed Far Cry 2 for $10. It's been out for a little while now and I don't really remember much about it from the reviews and what not, but I remember a friend liking it. Or at least I think I do. So what the heck, no real expectations going in. 

Here are some thoughts after roughly 20 minutes of play. It's pretty. I know it's a couple of years old now, but scenery, lighting, textures still look pretty good. Unfortunately, the frame rate can get pretty choppy in some parts. Now I would never claim that I have an awesome gaming PC or anything, I consider it to be mid-range, but for whatever reason, the auto detection on the game decided to put all the settings at high and very high so I left them there. Walking around is typically alright, but when I start driving through forested areas, my computer has a hard time keeping up with all the shadows and things. 

The gun play is pretty unsatisfying. Granted I've only shot a few people, but the AI doesn't seem all that great. It seems like people will typically just run around a corner to be gunned down by you. One guy ran up behind me before declaring that he was calling for backup. I watched him shoot a flare up into the sky before shooting him. No backup ever came. 

I don't have a strong desire to keep playing, we'll see what happens, but after 20 minutes it looks like Steam wins this time.
    gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By gpbmike

No Caption Provided
    From time to time I'll buy a game on a whim. Steam makes it a little too easy to purchase on demand. Usually I'll be bored, look through my Steam game list, and then move on to see what's on sale. This time I noticed Far Cry 2 for $10. It's been out for a little while now and I don't really remember much about it from the reviews and what not, but I remember a friend liking it. Or at least I think I do. So what the heck, no real expectations going in. 

Here are some thoughts after roughly 20 minutes of play. It's pretty. I know it's a couple of years old now, but scenery, lighting, textures still look pretty good. Unfortunately, the frame rate can get pretty choppy in some parts. Now I would never claim that I have an awesome gaming PC or anything, I consider it to be mid-range, but for whatever reason, the auto detection on the game decided to put all the settings at high and very high so I left them there. Walking around is typically alright, but when I start driving through forested areas, my computer has a hard time keeping up with all the shadows and things. 

The gun play is pretty unsatisfying. Granted I've only shot a few people, but the AI doesn't seem all that great. It seems like people will typically just run around a corner to be gunned down by you. One guy ran up behind me before declaring that he was calling for backup. I watched him shoot a flare up into the sky before shooting him. No backup ever came. 

I don't have a strong desire to keep playing, we'll see what happens, but after 20 minutes it looks like Steam wins this time.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Rayfield

Stick with it. Weapons vendor missions = better guns = more fun.
    LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By LackLuster

I actually really liked that game

Avatar image for greedotherodian
    greedotherodian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By greedotherodian

Sooooooo much driving!!!! Not to mention all of the respawning guards... oh and its like a 20 hour game, have fun! :)
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Driadon

Keep at it. The game doesn't leave a great first impression, but as you go you notice little important details such as using time of day and basic geography to figure out where you are going without even looking at your map. It has a lot of elements of immersion, but it's subtle.

Furyjoell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Furyjoell

I found it a grind if I'm honest, stupid guard posts.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By bubahula

keep playin dude. i really liked that game.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By pause422

I liked that game for about an hour or so...after that, no. There's so many problems with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.