Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 21, 2008

The sequel to the original Far Cry dispenses with Jack Carver, and moves the action to a war-consumed Africa complete with an open-ended storyline involving civil war, several hours of missions, heated gunplay, and a slew of dynamic elements powered by a new engine.

This game makes me cry!!

jonsnow007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jonsnow007

Because it could of been so much more, the enviroments are spectacular, incredibly immersive. And yet the actual game feels like it's been hacked on at the end. I've attempted to play this game several times now and each time has resulted me in almost hurling the disc out of the window. 

The worst part about this game is that it could EASILY of been so much more. 
    jonsnow007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jonsnow007

It makes me fucking sick.

MetalR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By MetalR

It makes me want to puke

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Seedofpower

It makes me happy to know I didn't buy it.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By angelkanarias

I shurely hope not, I just bought it, besides the soryline being a bit, meh..., the gameplay is quite cool.

jonsnow007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jonsnow007

The worst part about the game is that with a little more effort it could of been fucking awesome. It's obvious that the developers spent all their time on the eye candy and were rushed to get it out the door. It's funny how sometimes the line between awesome and mediocre is a fine one indeed.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By natetodamax

If I bought this game I probably would have killed myself in frustration. I heard that you are pretty much always under attack. I watched some videos on YouTube and every single one involves the player under attack. I was literally getting frustrated just watching it.

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What makes me even sicker is how people have to bump thier own thread a day later when nobody cared for the topic.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By bubahula
    @PhaggyBigNastyMcKill said:
    "What makes me even sicker is how people have to bump thier own thread a day later when nobody cared for the topic. "

lol yes,  i didnt notice that, pretty weak
    jonsnow007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jonsnow007

Yeah you'll go through several guard posts on the way to your misson, the guards will ram you with their jeep while several others disapear into the jungle and start firing at you from all angles. Sounds kinda neat I know but the fact that they respawn almost instantly completely ruins it for me.

raggedglory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By raggedglory

would you say it'll make you far cry?

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jkz

The environment and gameplay were all pretty well realized, the issue was that everything you do feels ultimately pointless, and only at random, contrived intervals does something significant actually happen. In the end, it is a victim of awful plot-pacing.

Mattalorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Mattalorian

I seem to be the only person on the internet who liked Far Cry 2.  I beat the game and enjoyed it, and now I'm going back and playing it again. Could it have been more? Yes, absolutely. Does that make it a bad game? Of course not.
    I don't see why a game that doesn't reach it's potential is automatically a bad game. If the game is good, then the game is good, right? It's understandable to be disappointed, but saying the game is poor quality for that reason simply doesn't make sense.
    The story was quite poor, the voice acting was atrocious, and the buddy AI could've been much better, but at it's core Far Cry 2 gets a lot right - Enough that I thoroughly enjoyed the game.

Just a few thoughts.

CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By CSXLoser

you know what i hate? i hate walking and driving around a lot that is mixed up with random little battles that occur as i try to make it towards my objective. The pacing is terrible.

jonsnow007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jonsnow007
    @PhaggyBigNastyMcKill: What makes me sick is people who get sick at people bumping their own threads a day later. Anyway I do what I want when I want lol
    bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bubahula

@Mattalorian said:

"I seem to be the only person on the internet who liked Far Cry 2.  I beat the game and enjoyed it, and now I'm going back and playing it again. Could it have been more? Yes, absolutely. Does that make it a bad game? Of course not.I don't see why a game that doesn't reach it's potential is automatically a bad game. If the game is good, then the game is good, right? It's understandable to be disappointed, but saying the game is poor quality for that reason simply doesn't make sense.The story was quite poor, the voice acting was atrocious, and the buddy AI could've been much better, but at it's core Far Cry 2 gets a lot right - Enough that I thoroughly enjoyed the game.Just a few thoughts."

:D i liked it!  
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Snipzor
    @Bubahula said:
    "

@Mattalorian said:

"I seem to be the only person on the internet who liked Far Cry 2.  I beat the game and enjoyed it, and now I'm going back and playing it again. Could it have been more? Yes, absolutely. Does that make it a bad game? Of course not.I don't see why a game that doesn't reach it's potential is automatically a bad game. If the game is good, then the game is good, right? It's understandable to be disappointed, but saying the game is poor quality for that reason simply doesn't make sense.The story was quite poor, the voice acting was atrocious, and the buddy AI could've been much better, but at it's core Far Cry 2 gets a lot right - Enough that I thoroughly enjoyed the game.Just a few thoughts."

:D i liked it!   "
    As do I.
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By buzz_clik
    @jonsnow007 said:
    " Yeah you'll go through several guard posts on the way to your misson, the guards will ram you with their jeep while several others disapear into the jungle and start firing at you from all angles. Sounds kinda neat I know but the fact that they respawn almost instantly completely ruins it for me. "
    The respawn can be a pain, but I never really get the feeling I'm under attack all the time. You know from the map where the major outposts and smaller checkpoints are, and the ones that you can't see are easily spotted a safe enough distance. That only leaves the odd car that pops up and tries to ram your vehicle, and I don't think they're frequent enough to make me feel like it's all a relentless onslaught.

Maybe it's because I can't help but collect everything in a game, and my time between battles is spent going bush and trying to find diamonds and safehouses that are tucked out of the way. All I know is I'm loving this game, and all the big criticisms that other people seem to have just don't bother me.
    T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By T0mF5

I regret the decision of buying this everytime I look at my games.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#20  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I didn't like Far Cry 2. Just too many janky things wrong with it to make up for its strengths. Oh, and I stopped caring about the story about 30 minutes in.

Mikado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mikado

YES YES AND ANOTHER YES. People who gets how halfassed this game really is. Everything feels stabbelt on. And the most retardet AI ever I mean jesus sometimes they will just stand right next to you not even carrying about you. When at other times they can spot you 30 miles away sitting on a mountain peak wearing the best cammo in the world. Thoose french retards have yet to show me a game of theirs that isn't just thrown out the door before it's done.
    Oh yeah wtf is up with the map system. I know ubisoft you want something realistic. But I think we kind of lost that with your supervision african piss poor soldiers. Man so many times I have been forced to look at that fucking map while driving and then just ramped into some random camp with 100 enemies, Bang dead restart an hour earlier in the game cause you didn't remember to fucking save in one of the safehouses which all of them stationed completely idiotic places. 
    Oh yeah and unlocking thoose safehouses isn't the easiest thing to do when the last guy you are supposed to kill is nowhere to be seen. Yes GG awesome another retardet way of wasting time in a useless game with a useless story filled with the same mission types over and over again. I understand why you call it a sandbox game cause sandbox can ussually be an excuse for not being the slightest bit original, and releasing a game that is so far from being done it fucking hurts!!!
    I borrowed it for free and it still pisses me off, you could have made something great. Yet you go make another unfinished ubisoft game. God damnit I hate you for always prommesing the world and giving a bucket of shit instead.
    There is probaly a lot of spelling errors in here but this is written after hurling the controller across the room after spending time with this retardet game. So i'm blinded with fury :P

hamlaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hamlaser

I enjoyed the game despite the retarded enemies and checkpoints

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xyzygy

i am loving this game.  

The sneaking is phenomenal. The world is vast and beautiful, with no load times. At all.  The shooting is great. The driving is great.  

You just need to have time to put into it. I find that the reason why most people don't like the game is beacuse it's not like Oblivion/Morrowind/Fallout 3 - there are no collectables to just find and pick up and you can't level up. 

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Brendan
    @xyzygy said:
    "i am loving this game.   The sneaking is phenomenal. The world is vast and beautiful, with no load times. At all.  The shooting is great. The driving is great.   You just need to have time to put into it. I find that the reason why most people don't like the game is beacuse it's not like Oblivion/Morrowind/Fallout 3 - there are no collectables to just find and pick up and you can't level up.  "

Actually the reason most people don't like the game is because of the combat obstacles in conjunction with long distances in between each mission.  It made the game more of a chore than an experience.  I personally thought it was alright fun for a rental, but then the game broke and I just didn't care for it enough to beat it.   
    Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
    Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I agree it could have been better, but I still enjoyed the shit out of that game and played it incessantly until I beat it. One of the most immersive games this gen IMO.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xyzygy
    @Brendan said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    "i am loving this game.   The sneaking is phenomenal. The world is vast and beautiful, with no load times. At all.  The shooting is great. The driving is great.   You just need to have time to put into it. I find that the reason why most people don't like the game is beacuse it's not like Oblivion/Morrowind/Fallout 3 - there are no collectables to just find and pick up and you can't level up.  "
    Actually the reason most people don't like the game is because of the combat obstacles in conjunction with long distances in between each mission.  It made the game more of a chore than an experience.  I personally thought it was alright fun for a rental, but then the game broke and I just didn't care for it enough to beat it.    "
    Oh really? I actually love that part of it. It makes the game seem more real to me. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I beat it, found it was pretty good, I'll go back and play it on the hard difficulty sometime.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheMustacheHero

This game was racist because it was in Africa.

Aas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Aas

I've finished it twice, I thought it was great.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Alex_V

I loved the game as well, though it was intensely frustrating at times. It has strong ideas and the way it unfolds is pretty unique in many ways. One of the better games of recent years imo.

And the metacritic score of 85 seems to suggest the general consensus is positive on the game.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By breadfan

I got Far Cry 2 for Christmas and I barely touched it because it got so frustrating being under constant attack and dying after traveling to an objective can be even more frustrating.  With that said, I finally finished the game last night and the ending portion of the game is very good.  The story actually gets interesting and the last few missions are pretty good.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Donos

Ok, I know this is going to make me sound like a jerk, but I think the people who got constantly killed were just playing the game wrong. Far Cry 2 isn't Halo, and you can't just run into a base and fight your way through. It's more about the set up, setting some fires as distractions, picking people off, that sort of thing. As long as I took my time on a mission, I almost never died even on the higher difficulties.

One other thing with the people who gave up early, I'd encourage them to try and play just a bit more, and focus on the side missions to beef up your character. Basically, as soon as you get the dart rifle (which is pretty early) the game gets much easier, and much more fun.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By breadfan
    @Donos said:
    Ok, I know this is going to make me sound like a jerk, but I think the people who got constantly killed were just playing the game wrong.
    Yes because a Jeep popping out of a row of bushes isn't cheap at all

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.