WARNING: Do not spend money on this game!!!

#1 Posted by super_machine (1929 posts) -

Here I am, spouting a rant like some crazy street person. But I am writing this for a very good reason. I don't want to see my fellow gamers waste their hard earned money on a broken game when there are far better games for sale. I can say, that far cry 2 has an amazingly rich game world, with some impressive graphics. I was enjoying myself... up to the point where the game decided to bug out making all my progress for nothing. The issue is, an NPC spawned out of place in a mission critical situation. This mission is key to advancing the game forward. Because the NPC was not in the correct location (spawned a level below the target location) I could not interact with him and finish the mission. Without that interaction, I cannot start any other mission in the game. I loaded a few saves back, same problem. Essentially I had to go way way back to an older save, but how would I know the game wouldnt have the same issue? I contacted ubisoft, but the reply was 100% insulting. They said my problem was related to "general gameplay hints and tips" and that I should consult a manual or game guide.
Please, save your money and buy a better game...

PS: my friend also had the game and an in game glitch caused his save data to be corrupted.

#2 Posted by Gameboi (653 posts) -
super_machine said:
 I contacted Ubisoft, but the reply was 100% insulting. They said my problem was related to "general gameplay hints and tips" and that I should consult a manual or game guide.

Ouch! Not exactly the reply I would expect to get from Ubi's customer service. I'm a little surprised by this.
#3 Posted by Win (541 posts) -

Dude that sucks.... I always really (REALLY) hated games that bugged out over the simplest things forcing me to restart levels or sometimes the entire game.

Good that I wasn't planing on buying Far Cry 2 anyways....

#4 Posted by coakroach (2486 posts) -

GUTTERBALL

#5 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Well, I haven't had any problems yet, but that must suck.  Still, I have been loving Far Cry 2 so far, so don't be afraid to play it; it is a lot of fun.

#6 Posted by Jayge_ (10222 posts) -

I've had no problems at all. Bad luck on your part. The game is great.

#7 Posted by Drebin_893 (2894 posts) -

Fine on my part for both playthroughs, spend money on this game.

#8 Edited by William (441 posts) -

You're telling us not to get Far Cry 2 just because it bugged on you?

#9 Posted by oraknabo (1453 posts) -

It bugs out on a lot of people in ways that make it impossible to finish the game you've invested your money and a lot of hours in. If you still want to buy it after knowing that, that's your deal.

I'm glad I rented it.

#10 Edited by Gameboi (653 posts) -

I think Super Machine is expecting exactly what he paid for: a playable game.  I've yet to pick up Far Cry 2 (so I can't confirm anything about it), but if it contains bugs that bring the game to a complete standstill, then everyone here should find that unacceptable.  One unfortunate byproduct of adding hard drives to consoles means that, like PCs, developers can spend less time and energy testing games -- which boils down to some experience-destroying bugs getting overlooked.  This would have been a total disaster, before patches became the norm instead of the exception.

Unfortunately, it's the new reality of gaming... and something that we now how to deal with.

#11 Posted by LackLuster (713 posts) -

I'm having zero trouble with far cry 2 for pc i'm having fun with it

#12 Posted by Stevokenevo (573 posts) -

I really want to play this game.  I probably will still get it.  Its bringing back memories of the old GoW pc issues though.....'epic' fail.  :)

#13 Posted by PartTimeNinja (344 posts) -

I'm having no problems with the PC version yet. But thank god I got this for free with my new graphics card because I probably wouldn't pay full price on this game.

#14 Edited by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

unfortunately I've  wasted $60 for this game , though I sold it to Gamestop

#15 Edited by super_machine (1929 posts) -
Gameboi said:
"I think Super Machine is expecting exactly what he paid for: a playable game.  I've yet to pick up Far Cry 2 (so I can't confirm anything about it), but if it contains bugs that bring the game to a complete standstill, then everyone here should find that unacceptable.  One unfortunate byproduct of adding hard drives to consoles means that, like PCs, developers can spend less time and energy testing games -- which boils down to some experience-destroying bugs getting overlooked.  This would have been a total disaster, before patches became the norm instead of the exception.

Unfortunately, it's the new reality of gaming... and something that we now how to deal with."
Yes thank you. I was having fun with this game  like many others have up until this point. If you made it all the way through the game, congrats, you got lucky. But there still remains the chance of getting a game ending bug in the game with no possible solution. I only hope they patch it soon so I can continue the story.  My reason for writing this was not because I hate Far Cry 2, but because I wouldnt want the same thing happen to someone else when there are other great titles out there. I could have bought Rfom2 or LBP instead and would still have a functional game. I bought this game the day it came out so I was not aware the game had so many bugs, other wise I would have passed on it.
#16 Posted by pause422 (6170 posts) -

Well that just sucks for you then, because since I was playing FC2(which was a while ago now) I never had a single problem such as what you named, besides the obvious annoyances the game had to begin with.

#17 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3089 posts) -

I just started playing the game and I haven't seen anything that resembles a glitch *Knock on wood* but I really hope nothing even similar like that happens to me. The game is so far a blast and I'm loving it I wouldn't want something stupid like that to ruin my experience.

#18 Posted by super_machine (1929 posts) -
Fr0Br0 said:
"I just started playing the game and I haven't seen anything that resembles a glitch *Knock on wood* but I really hope nothing even similar like that happens to me. The game is so far a blast and I'm loving it I wouldn't want something stupid like that to ruin my experience."
I started out the game the same way. Nothing I did ever cuased the glitch, it just happened without warning. My advice is make sure you keep a good backup of saved files so if something major happens, you dont have to go as far back in the game as I have to. I was saving every other file so I woudnt be too far back from my current point. My friend was playing FC2 and  had his current game file corrupted and lost like 20% to where his last save file was at.
#19 Posted by Bucketdeth (8003 posts) -

Well I was hoping to get this game soon, hope it doesn`t bug out on me : (

#20 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

I would definitely recommend STALKER over this game if you need a free-roaming shooter.

#21 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

Only problem I've had with the game is that it gets unbearably dull after a certain point.

#22 Posted by Rorschach (316 posts) -
Jayge said:
"I've had no problems at all. Bad luck on your part. The game is great."
Exactamundo. Game. Is. Awesome.
#23 Posted by bjorno (1411 posts) -

That isn't a WARNING:, that's an ADVICE:.

#24 Posted by super_machine (1929 posts) -
bjorno said:
"That isn't a WARNING:, that's an ADVICE:."
True enough. But people have been warned. I suppose I was a lot more pissed off when I wrote this, so maybe I over reacted a bit. Wouldn't be the first time. From here on out I'm going to take my furor over to the ubisoft, FC2 tech help forums. There seems to be a lot more people there who can commiserate my experience.
#25 Posted by ieatlions (708 posts) -

Its a great game and this has happened to me , and  i still love it ( reset to previous  save and bam! )

#26 Posted by super_machine (1929 posts) -
ieatlions said:
"Its a great game and this has happened to me , and  i still love it ( reset to previous  save and bam! )"
Yeah that probably would work with an older save. too bad I over-wrote my file after I had to make the choice on the last mission of the north map. I thought I was safe enough with three or four resent saves. After what happend, I put too many hours into the single player game to want to do it all over from the start. I was playing on Hardcore, so maybe I can breeze through it on easy or something. On the other hand  Maybe I'll sell it and get something that works.
#27 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6285 posts) -

That sucks dude. I think I'm still going to buy it as it is only $40 brand new at Gamestop and it looks like it'd be a lot of fun.

#28 Posted by SSbabel (1141 posts) -

Save more often, problem solved no need to thank me.

#29 Posted by super_machine (1929 posts) -
SSbabel said:
"Save more often, problem solved no need to thank me."
Thats my problem, I saved too quickly and overwrote the last part where I could have gone back to without a problem. My best advice I can give to anyone buying this game, make a new save everytime. You will have a mile long save list, but at least you wont have to go back too far if, and when the shit falls apart. I sold this game last week, I'm out.
#30 Edited by super_machine (1929 posts) -
dcpc10 said:
"Fallout 3 bugged out on me a whole bunch of times but I'm not making a thread about it....."
Yet you still post... Sorry I guess I'm old school. My purpose for this thread was to give my fellow gamers a friendly  heads up about some major issues with this game.  Had I known this game was full of bugs I would have never bought it. My money = time spent doing something for someone else. I like to know its not being wasted when I buy something.
#31 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -

Far Cry 2, good as it is, is not something I would ever want to play more then once. And no way would I ever want to replay any part of that game. Once is enough.....

#32 Posted by Alexander (1721 posts) -

I would say give the game a rent regardless of OP's problem, I wasn't that impressed with the game myself. I'll go back and give the multiplayer another go as that was solid, but I was expecting a 9/10 and I feel it's more of a 7.

#33 Posted by LiquidPrince (15833 posts) -

Don't worry, I haven't.

#34 Posted by mancsteveuk (4 posts) -

yes there are big problems with FC2 on the 360 and reports all over the Ubisoft forums about issues on all other platforms.. personally all my saved games were corrupt,  its mainly happening to people on act 2 around 50% .. just do a google search for FAR CRY 2 CORRUPT SAVED GAMES and see for yourselves.. other reported problems are doors not opening so missions cannot be found or completed, the icon to interact with certain people doesnt appear.. as the heading for this thread says.. DONT SPEND MONEY ON THIS PILE OF JUNK!

UBI obviously dont believe in quality control

#35 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

tmancsteveuk said:

"yes there are big problems with FC2 on the 360 and reports all over the Ubisoft forums about issues on all other platforms.. personally all my saved games were corrupt,  its mainly happening to people on act 2 around 50% .. just do a google search for FAR CRY 2 CORRUPT SAVED GAMES and see for yourselves.. other reported problems are doors not opening so missions cannot be found or completed, the icon to interact with certain people doesnt appear.. as the heading for this thread says.. DONT SPEND MONEY ON THIS PILE OF JUNK!

UBI obviously dont believe in quality control"
I bought the game and haven't put much time into it so far (roughly about 45 minutes most), but I have not had any trouble.  I did have the corrupt save data happen to my Far Cry saves on the original Xbox, so I guess there are still some major issues that need to be looked into.  I will take users' advice and save often to avoid the same situation happening to me.
#36 Posted by Reale (261 posts) -

the game is fine fore me.. my guess would be you stepped in to a bug that got through the net... does that mean no one else should buy it because they have a small percentage of walking in to the same bug... NO!!!!!!!!!! just because you walked in to a bug you have to shout wall of a forum!

i had a bug on rock band where the note chart ran in to the drum fill and didn't register properly, forcing me to fail out (this has happened a few times) does it mean i should post on a forum and tell people "DONT BUY THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

the thing that pisses me off with posts like this is, there might be 1 person that listens to you and decides not to buy the game just because you had an issue with it..

#37 Posted by bwooduhs (1616 posts) -

Yeah i had no problems at all with the game.

#38 Posted by bartholomew999 (171 posts) -

There is nothing that will make me race back to the store to trade in a game than a glitch that makes replay a particularly hard section.

If you need a new shooter with great graphics and solid gameplay, with an awesome multiplayer try Resistance 2.  I just picked it up this week and it's made me put Fallout 3 on the shelf for a bit.  Great game.

#39 Posted by splitscreen (16 posts) -
#40 Posted by Lunarbunny (1025 posts) -

I enjoyed Far Cry 2...for the most part. It's playable, but it's definitely not perfect. Driving and AI are my biggest complaints, but damn did I love the gunplay.

#41 Posted by rexualhealing (255 posts) -

I like Far Cry 2. Even when it's glitchy. I never expected to say that I got to travel to Rainbow Island during my playtime with the title, but I did and it was kickass and I will never forget all the purple trees.

#42 Posted by Stevokenevo (573 posts) -

Only cost me a grand total of £5 so theres no way ill complain.  Having played it for about 3 hours so far, im really liking it.  Sneaking up on someone and killing them with the machette has been my peak so far!  So cool.  Screw going in all guns blazing (although that seems like a fun option too!)  :D

#43 Posted by Hexpane (1397 posts) -
Gameboi said:

Ubisoft, but the reply w was related to "general gameplay hints and tips" and that I should consult a manual or game guide.

Absolutely brilliant!  "read the manual" has to be the best non-answer ever!
#44 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

i bought it for like $35 and i got about 20% complete but it aint that good. i went by brads review, but that thing was full of shit. the game is painfully repetitive. its gta, with FAR less things to do, and the same generic, drive here, kill him missions over and over gain. 

#45 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

its a ok game. not the best not the worst and doesnt stand out that much.

#46 Posted by Scieran (215 posts) -
super_machine said:
"Here I am, spouting a rant like some crazy street person. But I am writing this for a very good reason. I don't want to see my fellow gamers waste their hard earned money on a broken game when there are far better games for sale. I can say, that far cry 2 has an amazingly rich game world, with some impressive graphics. I was enjoying myself... up to the point where the game decided to bug out making all my progress for nothing. The issue is, an NPC spawned out of place in a mission critical situation. This mission is key to advancing the game forward. Because the NPC was not in the correct location (spawned a level below the target location) I could not interact with him and finish the mission. Without that interaction, I cannot start any other mission in the game. I loaded a few saves back, same problem. Essentially I had to go way way back to an older save, but how would I know the game wouldnt have the same issue? I contacted ubisoft, but the reply was 100% insulting. They said my problem was related to "general gameplay hints and tips" and that I should consult a manual or game guide. Please, save your money and buy a better game...PS: my friend also had the game and an in game glitch caused his save data to be corrupted."
I'm already getting mine. Until now, i've played a dozen amount of games and own only around 8 games which clearly states I have very strict taste.
#47 Posted by Scieran (215 posts) -

They made a patch.

#48 Posted by Maxszy (2064 posts) -

There are some known issues. Are you playing on 360? That's where I had my saves lost/corrupted. They didn't even show up anymore. I was about 10 hours in and that's as far as I got and I then sold it. This was back when it came out.

I've heard the PC version is better with this but I don't know for sure. Its a great game when it works, but sadly it occasionally seems to have some game breaking bugs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.