Xbox 360 controller with PC version

#1 Posted by bjornvil (15 posts) -

I am using the wired Xbox 360 controller when playing Far Cry 2 on the PC. I feel like it suits the game better than the M+K controls. The game really feels like it was developed with the consoles in mind.

Only thing is, I am not getting any rumble with the controller.

I was wondering if anybody knows if there is/will be any rumble support for the PC version, as now there is no rumble at all. I tried playing Crysis Warhead using the controller, and I really loved the rumble in that game.

#2 Edited by Elijah (140 posts) -

You prefer a controller to a keyboard and mouse? You crazy!

Joking aside, I've actually seen a couple topics on other boards asking the same thing. No one seems to believe that there isn't any, but no one can find it either.  So my guess is that no, there isn't.  I may pull out my gamepad and try just to check, though.

#3 Posted by bjornvil (15 posts) -

Haha, you following me? :)

I started playing with the keyboard and mouse, but controlling the vehicles is just awful with the m+k, so I tried the controller. At first I was switching from the m+k to the gamepad and back just for driving, but eventually I just started playing with the gamepad and really liked it. I like lying back in my chair with my feet up while playing instead of being hunched over the keyboard :)

#4 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

It probably wasn't coded in. From what I hear there are quite a few bugs in FC2, so it wouldn't surprise me. They might patch it in later.
Also, FPS on controllers lolwut

#5 Posted by Elijah (140 posts) -

Haha, I just did a little more searching and apparently rumble doesn't even work properly on the 360 version.  When you get shot the controller rumbles, but when you shoot nothing happens.

#6 Edited by bjornvil (15 posts) -
atejas said:
"Also, FPS on controllers lolwut
"
Yeah, that was my opinion before trying it out. I don't have a console and I have been playing first person shooters on the PC for years and I definitely think a mouse and keyboard is the best way to control an FPS,  but in FC2's case, I feel like the gamepad suits better.

BTW, I played through Crysis and Crysis Warhead with a mouse and keyboard, but I am playing through Warhead using the Xbox controller just for the hell of it.

#7 Posted by Elijah (140 posts) -

I think a lot of third-person games work quite a bit better with controllers, especially platformers and the like.  Right now I'm playing Dead Space on the PC and I'm actually considering getting out my gamepad for it since navigating menus is a bit clunky.

#8 Edited by pause422 (6272 posts) -

As long as you don't try it for multiplayer I'm guessing you will be fine. Not sure how plugging a controller works with a PC(does it give you an aim assist?) because if not you'll get raped easily...even if so, the insta turning that they can do with the mouse will give them an advantage over that anyway.

#9 Edited by tonaros (45 posts) -
pause422 said:
"As long as you don't try it for multiplayer I'm guessing you will be fine. Not sure how plugging a controller works with a PC(does it give you an aim assist?) because if not you'll get raped easily...even if so, the insta turning that they can do with the mouse will give them an advantage over that anyway."
It does give you aim assist, yes. For those who want to try this, I used a corded USB Xbox 360 controller, downloaded the latest installer from here: http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbcd.html and when I plugged in the controller after installing, I let my XP driver installation wizard do its thing, and all went swimmingly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.