Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 21, 2008

The sequel to the original Far Cry dispenses with Jack Carver, and moves the action to a war-consumed Africa complete with an open-ended storyline involving civil war, several hours of missions, heated gunplay, and a slew of dynamic elements powered by a new engine.

Xbox or PC (regarding system specs)

PitifullPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By PitifullPete

I just ordered a new laptop and I'm wondering if this game will run on it nicely, or if I should get FarCry2  for my xbox. The laptop's specs: Celeron2 duo @ 2.26ghz, geforce 9600 with dedicated 512mb ram, 3gb sys ram. I would rather prefer to play on a pc, since i just got my console before a month and im still not friends with aiming on a gamepad. Thanks for your replies.

calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By calf_exercises

hmm, thats a toughy. Im not a 100% sure, but it will probly run better on the pc. after all it was originally designed for it

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

I'm pretty surprised you went with a video card like the 9600 512mb and then opted for a Celeron processor.  I mean really, a Celeron?

PitifullPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PitifullPete

i just payed 1000$ for this laptop. i didn't really want to take my time to investigate the whole big landscape of laptops, but as far as my research went, the T8400 should be more than capable of what I'm doing and shouldn't be the bottleneck for games, as it should still be the graphics. I just was looking for a solid laptop to do my work on, for about 700$. then i found this offer with a dedicated graphics card and thought i give it shot. i least this way i can try spore some time or some other game. Actually, I heard the Celeron2 is pretty neat, mb you know more than i do.
    ps.: i couldnt chose another processor. the highest possibility was a p9500 @ 2.56, which is still a c2.

Alberto777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Alberto777

That's a tough question. Uhm, I think you can get by with your video card okay (probably have to set your settings to medium which is about the same graphical visuals as consoles). But your celeron processor is probably the main factor in me saying no. Celerons are great in openning apps and for basic usage, but for heavy duty work like playing video games it will likely fail. I mean it may be a great celeron processor, no doubt about it, but the architecture and things like L2 cache memory and so forth isn't meant to process those large operations. So if I were you, I would go with xbox 360 version.

agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By agent_lost

yea, the CPU is what kill it here, great for everyday used but once you in to gaming or worse photo/video edition (photoshop), the CPU get crush really fast. I don't know this but how is PC gaming is on the laptop.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By daniel_beck_90

It will run better on PC

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#8  Edited By wefwefasdf

It will probably run better on your 360.

PitifullPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PitifullPete

Now I feel betrayed. I read in forums that the 3mb-6mb difference in l2 cache won't make a difference for gaming (Since as I wrote earlier, the graphics card is the bottleneck). It will only matter for heavy duty applications like Photoshop. Maybe there will be a demo, so I can try.

Alberto777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Alberto777
    PitifullPete said:
    "Now I feel betrayed. I read in forums that the 3mb-6mb difference in l2 cache won't make a difference for gaming (Since as I wrote earlier, the graphics card is the bottleneck). It will only matter for heavy duty applications like Photoshop. Maybe there will be a demo, so I can try."
    Well the architecture of Celerons are different than Core 2 Duos, even if you match their L2 cache that won't mean it will run like a Core 2 Duo, there's other factors as well. Photoshop will run fine with a Celeron, it's not like you're video encoding. Your video card like I stated earlier doesn't seem like a bottleneck, it's not high end, but it should run current games on mid-settings. There probably won't be a demo for Far Cry 2, but if you still want to test your system the closest thing I can think of is the original Crysis Single Player Demo. The demo is not well optomized so if you can run "okay", then just know that you'll be able to run the real game a lot better. Another plus side is that Far Cry 2 runs better than Crysis. But don't be too optimistic becasue I don't think your processor will allow it. 
    PitifullPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PitifullPete

In reviews of a configuration of this laptop with similar specs someone ran Crysis medium with a avg of 27.8 frames (on 1280). He benchmarked COD on two different levels on a mixture between medium and high settings with 37.9 respective 50 fps average.  The processor is actually called Intel Core Duo 2 Mobile (the model is P8400) - but as far as I know its the C2.

Thanks for your help!

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Branthog

Grim_Fandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13  Edited By Grim_Fandango

I am going to tell you one thing, you don't need a pc of Crysis Porportions to run this game, I can run this game on Very High with one of 2 frame-rate hiccups.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.