Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Apr 30, 2013

Inspired by the sci-fi action movies of the 1980s, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is a standalone expansion to 2012's Far Cry 3, switching a modern tropical setting with the neon-covered retro-future of 2007.

Is the console performance any better this time around?

SuperVHS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

It sounds like they've fixed some of the gameplay quirks from Far Cry 3 but did they make the performance on consoles, specifically the PS3, more consistent?

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By bibamatt

I'm interested in this, too! I bought FC3 on PC and struggled to get a decent framerate on it really. It was totally playable, but probably no better (maybe a little worse sometimes?) than the console versions. Blood Dragon is 20% off for PS+ members in EU, so I'm considering that...

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

Hell, I couldn't even get that game to feel right on my GTX 680. It was right on the cusp but had some noticable stutter and occasional large framerate drops, so I'd be curious about performance across all versions really.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By bibamatt

Hell, I couldn't even get that game to feel right on my GTX 680. It was right on the cusp but had some noticable stutter and occasional large framerate drops, so I'd be curious about performance across all versions really.

Yeah, mine were occasional but pretty bad. Usually in town stuff. Enough to make me think "this time, instead of spending forever messing with graphics settings/beta drivers, I'll just get it on XBLA/PSN". I guess I'll try the demos. Seems the best bet!

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@bibamatt: Unless the drops were below 25fps, it might be wise to wait. The console version of the game really do run dreadfully. I can't imagine it'd be a comfortable transition unless you were already running it poorly when it was running "well."

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@bibamatt said:

I'm interested in this, too! I bought FC3 on PC and struggled to get a decent framerate on it really. It was totally playable, but probably no better (maybe a little worse sometimes?) than the console versions. Blood Dragon is 20% off for PS+ members in EU, so I'm considering that...

oh, give the PC version a chance. Worst case is you could set it to console rez or something. that should still give u dx11 (and a keyboard and mouse).

Loading Video...

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've played through about 80% of the PS3 version with no noteworthy problems at all.

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By kmg90

I didn't notice any slow down playing the first 30 minutes on PS3, I feel this game has a bit less ambient assets (less trees, animals and overall real estate)

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By Justin258

@mordeaniischaos said:

Were you playing on the highest settings? I played it with a HD7770 (a far weaker card) and it looked pretty damn good on lower settings, and I maintained a decent 60 with vsync on.

EDIT: Except for the framerate dropping in a mine or cave of some sort, which was really weird.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mordeaniischaos said:

Were you playing on the highest settings? I played it with a HD7770 (a far weaker card) and it looked pretty damn good on lower settings, and I maintained a decent 60 with vsync on.

EDIT: Except for the framerate dropping in a mine or cave of some sort, which was really weird.

Changing the settings, including moving between full MSAA and no MSAA did almost nothing to solve my problem. However, the game has significant issues with the 600 series of video cards from what I've heard. And it's not so much a lack of framerate that bothers me, it's how stuttery the game feels at all times, even when my framerate is triple digits. I can turn the settings all the bloody way down and still get the stuttering. Fewer weird drops in framerate, but again, I can handle that but the stuttering is maddening.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.