A nose full of buckshot...

#1 Posted by Cusseta (109 posts) -

...apparently doesn't bother a bear, though it kinda bothers me that it doesn't bother the bear. What the hell is up with the wildlife in this game? I can head-shot a human being from 100 yards away, but I put my shotgun barrel in a bear's nostril, pull the trigger, and the bear just looks at me like I owe him money. Video games.

#2 Posted by living4theday258 (678 posts) -

realism FTW!!!!!!

#3 Posted by CaLe (3897 posts) -

@Cusseta said:

it kinda bothers me

You might even say, it's unbearable? Ha, I make joke. It's good.

#4 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Ever shot a bear in real life? Do you have any idea how hard a bears skill is?

#5 Edited by Digiwth (149 posts) -

@CaLe said:

@Cusseta said:

it kinda bothers me

I opened this thread and literally stared at the reply box for a solid minute and half deciding whether to make that joke or walk away the bigger man. I walked away.

#6 Edited by CaLe (3897 posts) -

@Digiwth said:

@CaLe said:

@Cusseta said:

it kinda bothers me

I opened this thread and literally stared at the reply box for a solid minute and half deciding whether to make that joke or walk away the bigger man. I walked away.

You're a better man than I'll ever be, that's for damn sure.

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Are you saying a bear's skull can bear the brunt of a shotgun blast? Hey man, I'm not even gonna argue with that. If any animal can, it's probably the bear. The Russian Bear.

#7 Posted by believer258 (11564 posts) -

Bears are hardy creatures.

Besides, humans don't have health bars.

#8 Posted by believer258 (11564 posts) -

@CaLe said:

@Digiwth said:

@CaLe said:

@Cusseta said:

it kinda bothers me

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Are you saying a bear's skull can bear the brunt of a shotgun blast? Hey man, I'm not even gonna argue with that. If any animal can, it's probably the bear. The Russian Bear.

Well, you've certainly laid bear (I know!) your shitty sense of humor in this thread.

#9 Edited by Digiwth (149 posts) -

You have to figure the bear's face and all his orifices are covered/filled with honey right? Those fuckers are always jacking people's honey and pigging out on it. At any given moment I bet there's a thick enough layer of honey on any bear's face to survive at least one point blank shot to the face with a shotgun.

#10 Edited by CaLe (3897 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Well, you've certainly laid bear (I know!) your shitty sense of humor in this thread.

I'm British, what do you expect? If only I were American, then I'd at least have the right to bear arms.

#11 Edited by Sanity (1890 posts) -

Actually im not positive some buckshot to the face would stop a bear from mauling your ass. It might kill it in time but i think you would be dead also. Slugs... thats a different story, but buckshot doesn't really penetrate that well into bone. Also im assuming that the stuff in this game is basically birdshot, i think steel shot might do the trick. Get Mythbusters on that.

#12 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

Bears don't give a fuck. That's why you gotta light em up bro

#13 Posted by BaconGames (3280 posts) -

@dudy80 said:

Actually im not positive some buckshot to the face would stop a bear from mauling your ass. It might kill it in time but i think you would be dead also. Slugs... thats a different story, but buckshot doesn't really penetrate that well into bone. Also im assuming that the stuff in this game is basically birdshot, i think steel shot might do the trick. Get Mythbusters on that.

I would imagine it would clean off his face flesh real good but it wouldn't kill him. Well, that's me extrapolating a fucked up story a former paramedic coach told us on the boss back from a soccer game, but about a dude who failed a suicide attempt with a shotgun to his head.

#14 Edited by jking47 (1207 posts) -

"Second, 12-gauge buckshot loads are not reliable for killing black bears. Buckshot does not penetrate or break bones unless you almost press the muzzle against the bear. I have point-blanked huge bears in the center of the neck and had them get back to their feet. That is not a good thing!"

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bullets-For-Bears/532179.uts?Ntk=ArticlesInformation&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DArticlesInformation%26Ntt%3Dbullets%2Bfor%2Bbear%26x%3D20%26y%3D3%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-Articles%2B%2526%2BInformation&Ntt=bullets+for+bear

More realistic then you might think.

#15 Posted by believer258 (11564 posts) -

@CaLe said:

@believer258 said:

I'm British, what do you expect? If only I were American, then I'd at least have the right to bear arms.

Let's bring this shit to its logical conclusion:

#16 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@CaLe

@Digiwth said:

@CaLe said:

@Cusseta said:

it kinda bothers me

@The_Laughing_Man said:

And soon we will have teddie puns.
#17 Posted by Wipeout (260 posts) -

Hunters have told me it usually takes a good number of SLUGS to kill a bear, and they have to be in the right places. Reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcsLaSBWG9k

#18 Posted by superpope (129 posts) -

Just use the Z93 or the (custom AMR) sniper rifle. Those mofos take most all wildlife out in one or two hits.

#19 Posted by RawknRo11a (550 posts) -

the reason the bears take so much ammo to bring down is due to the fact that the pirates on the island have gotten the bears addicted to crystal meth... just sayin'

#20 Posted by GoranP (1115 posts) -

I'm basically using just the flamethrower for carnivores. Too much ammo wasted otherwise.

#21 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

All I care about is who wins in Bear vs Shark.

#22 Posted by Sanity (1890 posts) -

@GoranP said:

I'm basically using just the flamethrower for carnivores. Too much ammo wasted otherwise.

#23 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -
@believer258

@CaLe said:

@believer258 said:

Let's bring this shit to its logical conclusion:

Jesus Christ, Tekken has gotten WEIRD.
#24 Posted by RawknRo11a (550 posts) -

@dudy80 said:

@GoranP said:

LOL, perfect!

#25 Posted by ShaggE (6295 posts) -

@RawknRo11a said:

the reason the bears take so much ammo to bring down is due to the fact that the pirates on the island have gotten the bears addicted to crystal meth... just sayin'

Breaking Bear? I'd watch that. Seeing a bear fumble around with lab equipment would be endlessly entertaining.

#26 Posted by RawknRo11a (550 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

@RawknRo11a said:

Breaking Bear? I'd watch that. Seeing a bear fumble around with lab equipment would be endlessly entertaining.

but can we really count on bears to follow proper safety procedures during the cooking process?

And we all know they would end up using their own product.

#27 Posted by DeathByWaffle (628 posts) -

You can kill a bear with a couple of shotgun shots. Just make sure you are like 15 to 20 feet away when you start shooting. I made the mistake of thinking I could kill them point blank with weapons, but that just lead to me being mauled.

#28 Posted by ShaggE (6295 posts) -

@RawknRo11a said:

@ShaggE said:

@RawknRo11a said:

but can we really count on bears to follow proper safety procedures during the cooking process?

And we all know they would end up using their own product.

They might not follow procedure, but they'll at least do the bear minimum necessary to stay in business. ... Or they'll just maul all of their competitors.

#29 Posted by mattdragn (76 posts) -

This thread is pretty grizzly.

#30 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

That bear knows the definition of insanity.

#31 Posted by Grillbar (1792 posts) -

a bear is kinda hard to take down irl

but its video game logic the more rare the enemy is the harder it is to kill. that's why a regular pirate dies when he scrapes him knee. if you wanna talk about unrealistic take the heavy. he needs 4-5 hand grenades that explode in midair right in front of him 1-2 C4 packs at his feet or 2-3 mags of the second lmg with extended mag to the face

use the bow. its awesome sure it takes 3 or 4 arrows to kill the bear but still

@CaLe said:

I make joke. It's good.

the best part of your joke, for some reason it has to be in an Russian accent in my head. which is odd since the voices in my head are normally Swedish, dont know what he is saying but he will not shut up.

#32 Posted by Cusseta (109 posts) -

Perhaps the rocket launcher will do the trick. Haven't tried the flamethrower yet, but that sounds entertaining!

#33 Posted by CaLe (3897 posts) -

@Grillbar said:

@CaLe said:

I make joke. It's good.

the best part of your joke, for some reason it has to be in an Russian accent in my head. which is odd since the voices in my head are normally Swedish, dont know what he is saying but he will not shut up.

I wrote it in a Russian accent so it's all good.

#34 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2205 posts) -

That shotgun blast probably made that bear lose half his honeycombs which is why he can only take 2 shots.

#35 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

I can't tell if you meant to say skull or skill.

If you meant skull, then whatever. If you did indeed mean skill, then yes, bears are a high ass difficulty IRL

#36 Posted by BurningStickMan (201 posts) -

Oh MAN! You guys are bruin up some comedy in here!

...did.... did I do it right?

Uh.... s-she pointed in the direction of the bear exhibit, so I just followed ursine!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.