Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

Any word on PC-version fix?

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By HellBrendy

I bought the PC version of Far Cry 3 (a really excellent game) because people said it was the best one. Not going to argue about that (not having seen it run on consoles), but what really bothers me is the quality of this version coming from Borderlands 2.

It goes from full screen to windowed mode everytime I alt+tab. It's an easy fix going through the options, but still really annoying.

It crashes from time to time. My game just crashed, and my friends game crashed three times during co-op yesterday. We both own fairly new high-end PC's.

Also, you have to make sure to install the game in english, or else it's going to end up in your standard language. I don't mind reading norwegian, but the translation is at some points bad, and you can't change the language after it has been installed (Steam overrides this, but I don't own the Steam-version).

The keyboard controls are poorly optmialized, especially in the menus where you can't even scroll with the mousewheel and the menus aren't really good in the first place.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By HellBrendy

I bought the PC version of Far Cry 3 (a really excellent game) because people said it was the best one. Not going to argue about that (not having seen it run on consoles), but what really bothers me is the quality of this version coming from Borderlands 2.

It goes from full screen to windowed mode everytime I alt+tab. It's an easy fix going through the options, but still really annoying.

It crashes from time to time. My game just crashed, and my friends game crashed three times during co-op yesterday. We both own fairly new high-end PC's.

Also, you have to make sure to install the game in english, or else it's going to end up in your standard language. I don't mind reading norwegian, but the translation is at some points bad, and you can't change the language after it has been installed (Steam overrides this, but I don't own the Steam-version).

The keyboard controls are poorly optmialized, especially in the menus where you can't even scroll with the mousewheel and the menus aren't really good in the first place.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

I doubt the menu controls are going to be "fixed", they were made for a console and I don't think they're going to change them for PC post-release.

Going from full-screen to windowed after an alt-tab happens to me in several other games as well, but fixing the issue probably isn't going to happen since it's not a big deal for users to fix it themselves.

As far as I know, the fix for crashes is to disable the UPlay overlay. I have the retail version and I've added it as a non-Steam game to Steam and I start it through Steam without turning off the UPlay overlay and I just don't have any crashes at all.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ravenlight

I don't have a fix for your other issues, but try hitting Alt+Enter whenever the game is stuck in windowed mode. That's the Windows shortcut for making the current program full-screen.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Mirado

@HellBrendy said:

Weird, but not exactly game breaking. Hard to tell exactly what's causing that.

PC games crash. If it's crashing excessively then the dev's are probably aware of it and working on a fix (as it should be fairly common), but there are so many wheels within wheels moving when it comes to PC games that a crash every once in a while is more or less inevitable.

Outside of not being able to change the language after install (which is a weird choice, I'll admit) it seems to be working as intended; if you don't specify, it goes to whatever your standard is.

That's just a sign of poor console to PC design, and probably won't ever be changed even down the road. Hope for mods (if the game is mod-friendly, not sure).

As for a timeline on a patch, it's hard to tell. Unless the game is totally broken, it could take a bit before the first patch rolls out with any significant changes.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By cornbredx

I've never had the game crash. 

The other issues aren't that big of a deal for me.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FritzDude

Haven't had game crashes, but I've had graphical glitches stretching all over the map, it looks very strange. At first I thought it was overheating or poor VRAM, but no, it's the game. & after a bit of Research several People have the exact same issue. It's poor optimization With the game on higher quality settings, especially With DirectX 11 &/or SLI setups. Also, I'm having the game go from over 60 frames per second all the way Down to 15 before entering a town, & once I'm in town it's all the way up again to 60 or more, it's so... Strange. I like this game, but all the issues I'm having With it puts me out of it.

I agree, the game desperately need updates.

Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Hef

@Ravenlight: I never knew about that shortcut, and I just tried it on steam. It's the default shortcut for big picture mode. Thought that was cool enough to share.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By colourful_hippie

The only issues I've had with the game were graphical ones that looked like it might have been a problem with my video card but I've never had those issues in other games. It rarely happens so I'm not worked up about it.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SharkEthic

Haven't had the game crash once on me, and I haven't really noticed any of the other issues you mention. So unless I'm alone in this (and reading the other comments, it doesn't seem like it), I wouldn't hold my breath for a fix. Some of the issues might be a addressed in a patch down the line though.

Samael2138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Samael2138

I've yet to have any crashes, but since the 1.02 patch, I now have my bow floating at my knees, and the rest of my weapons are floating behind my character model. I f I get into a car and look backwards I can see them floating there. I've reloaded saves, quit the game, tried adjusting almost every graphic option, verified the game cache through Steam......nothing. That fucking bow just floats there, even when I have my bow equipped. It blocks the view of the bottom right hand side of the screen, and is even present in cut scenes.

After searching the Steam and Ubi forums, a lot of people are having the same problem, AND, it is not PC specific. I saw post from people having similar issues on PS3 and 360. It also seems that it is a symptom of the infamous "No camera, no rocks" bug, as a lot of people who have a floating weapon or shadows are losing the camera and rocks.

The only "fix" I've found is to start a new game. I already have over 25 hours of play, and have almost done everything on the north island. Most of the relics, side missions, hunts, lost letters, memory cards, outpost, etc... I've already done. Hopefully they'll get a patch soon, because restarting now would be super lame!!!!!

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FritzDude

PC Version will get a New update tomorrow : https://twitter.com/FarCrygame/status/278907125684637696

No information on what it will cover currently, but hopefully better stability & fixes for known issues, aswell as the weird graphical issues I've been having. I'm also crossing my fingers for the New proper certified drivers from Nvidia tomorrow, that would be Perfect timing.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By korwin

@Mirado said:

@HellBrendy said:

It's a quirk of all DX10 and DX11 games, BF3 and AC3 will do the same thing.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By ericdrum

I did have a bunch of crashes the first couple of days. I had to massively back down my video card overclocks and that solved it. I haven't crashed once since. It may be possible that you have some heat issues. I have two GTX 670 FTWs that can handle the game at max, but my gpu temps are pretty high from it.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Korwin said:

@Mirado said:

@HellBrendy said:

It's a quirk of all DX10 and DX11 games, BF3 and AC3 will do the same thing.

Doesn't the game support borderless fullscreen windowed out of the box? I think I remember seeing that option in the graphic settings, or around somewhere. If your PC is good enough to maintain 60 FPS all the time, you shouldn't have any framerate problems running the game in BFW mode, and it should solve your Alt+tabbing issues.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.