Anybody else rocking a bow?

#1 Edited by Hizang (8532 posts) -

You get access to most of the weapons from the get go in far Cry 3, good or bad it gives you access to the Bow and arrows. I've been using it as my primary weapon, is anybody else? I find it very accurate and helpful even in assault situations, the one hit kill makes all the difference.

#2 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2991 posts) -

I have had some amazing experiences with the bow so far that make me want to use it all the time but when the shit hits the fan you need an smg or an assault rifle to clean up.

#3 Posted by MegaLombax (387 posts) -

The bow is okay, haven't really figured out how properly aim using the long range sights though. My main is the sniper rifle with a silencer, but the bow is always one of the four weapons i carry around. Excellent game so far (4 hrs in).

#4 Posted by Dimsey (951 posts) -

Always! So far it's been my favorite weapon.

Only got two weapon slots unlocked at the moment so I've got my bow for sneakin' and sniping then that first shotgun for when I inevitably get spotted/get attacked out of nowhere by tigers.

#5 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I'm rocking a bow with a red dot, SMG with a silencer and a red dot, a Shotgun with extended Mag and a Sniper with a silencer and extended zoom.

#6 Posted by wemibelec90 (1626 posts) -

I plan on it when I get my copy. Any game that gives me a bow, I use it every chance I get. Bows are awesome!

#7 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

I suppose it's a bit like using a bow in the real world against opponents who wield automatic weapons. It's just not practical.

#8 Edited by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -

Out of curiosity, does Far Cry 3 assign each of your weapon slots to different weapon categories the way the second game did, or can you carry any 4 weapons once you've got your weapon capacity maxed out? Can you do something silly like roll with 3 sniper rifles and a pistol if you want?

#9 Posted by Patman99 (1578 posts) -

@JP_Russell said:

Out of curiosity, does Far Cry 3 assign each of your weapon slots to different weapon categories the way the second game did, or can you carry any 4 weapons once you've got your weapon capacity maxed out? Can you do something silly like roll with 3 sniper rifles and a pistol if you want?

I just checked and you can totally equip multiples of a weapon type. So if you have 3 different pistols, you can equip all at the same time. However, if I am understanding this right, they share ammo.

#10 Posted by animathias (1185 posts) -

I love the bow, but found it lacking against some of the tougher wildlife, cats in particular. They take way too many arrows to drop and can get in your grill before you can nock a second arrow. That's usually when I switch to my shotgun and "master the jungle" as Dennis put it. 

I have to say the bow is great for stealthy attacks on outposts, though. It's the midrange weapon of choice for me when I'm out of sniper range. I'm not deep enough in the story to see the special arrows yet, but I'm looking forward to them. Explosive arrows sound like a lot of fun.

#11 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -

@Patman99 said:

@JP_Russell said:

I just checked and you can totally equip multiples of a weapon type. So if you have 3 different pistols, you can equip all at the same time. However, if I am understanding this right, they share ammo.

Ah, that's great. Shared ammo is fine. But I really didn't like the category limitations in Far Cry 2. Carrying a shotgun around came in handy in that game, but carrying a sniper rifle around came in more handy for me, and you couldn't have both because they were both in the "primary" slot.

#12 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming: Does depend on the situation. If you are playing in such a way that you are in active fire-fights, then yeah... the assault rifle is going to win every time.

On the other hand, the bow is silent and you can retrieve your arrows after shooting them. And it's handy for when you are hunting and don't want to constantly return to base to restock ammo (disclaimer: I'm still rather early in the game, so I don't can't carry very much ammo yet). Admittedly, it's similar to how you'd use a silenced weapon... but I guess there's a certain flair or style to using a bow instead?

Different strokes for different folks?

(Yes, I'm using the bow as my primary weapon)

#13 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Mnemoidian said:

@TheDudeOfGaming: Does depend on the situation. If you are playing in such a way that you are in active fire-fights, then yeah... the assault rifle is going to win every time.

On the other hand, the bow is silent and you can retrieve your arrows after shooting them. And it's handy for when you are hunting and don't want to constantly return to base to restock ammo (disclaimer: I'm still rather early in the game, so I don't can't carry very much ammo yet). Admittedly, it's similar to how you'd use a silenced weapon... but I guess there's a certain flair or style to using a bow instead?

Different strokes for different folks?

(Yes, I'm using the bow as my primary weapon)

Its just a way to play the game too, it makes it more challenging using the bow but as that it makes it a better reward when you've done it. Its why I only use the Plasma Cutters in Dead Space.

#14 Posted by snarekick (97 posts) -

I just unlocked the bow and coincidentally had a hunting mission right after to use the bow to kill the blood(?) komodo dragon. It took like 5 arrows to take the bastard down

then I got the gold tiger hunting mission and that was a bitch to take the tiger down as well

does the bow fare better against human enemies? cause it feels useless against predator animals

#15 Posted by Nightriff (4990 posts) -

I don't even have the game and I am going to rock the bow, who the hell wouldn't rock the bow? It is the year of the bow people....

#16 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

a silenced F1 is my goto at the moment. i always have that with the bow and a silenced pistol.

fucking love this game!

#17 Edited by Fattony12000 (7298 posts) -

I prefer reaching out and touching men with a suppressed .50 cal sniper rifle combined with an extended magazine and a two stage high-powered scope. 350 metre headshots all day er day. Three attachments is the lick.

IT'S ALSO YELLOW.

To be honest, for the past few hours, I have mainly been using the sniper rifle to disable alarms before I knock over an outpost. Taking them out from so far away that enemies can't hope to spot me is so great. I reckon I must have performed hits on those little red boxes at ranges of around 500 metres, all whilst I'm sitting in a bush halfway up a mountain.

I do, of course, run with a red dot bow as part of my usual arsenal. Alongside the grenade launcher for vehicles and a shotgun for close up fun.

Good Luck Have Island
#18 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@snarekick: One hit kill with all humans.

#19 Posted by bill (98 posts) -

i used the bow through the whole game until the end, i ended up using the signature weapons

#20 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@bill: Is there a signature bow?

#21 Posted by Fattony12000 (7298 posts) -
#22 Edited by xMrSunshine (360 posts) -

The silenced M-700 or the .50 cal sniper are both superior to the bow in pretty much every way. Both sniper rifles and the bow do stealth but instead of thinking about arcs or leading your targets with the bow you can just point at a dude with a sniper rifle from some 500 meters away and he's dead. That's what I did for the first half of the game so I didn't carry a bow around but then it got super boring. After that I changed to more noisier weapons like the grenade launcher or one of the LMGs but I also carried a bow just in case I wanted to do some mid range stealth but in the end I just used my knife if I ever wanted to stealth kill my way through an outpost.

In a firefight situation the bow is worthless and in hunting it's kind of a bummer that it takes three arrows to kill a lot of the more threatening animals. In my experience it's only really good for picking out a couple of isolated enemies in an outpost and that can be done with a knife and it's more exciting that way. The special arrows for the bow are also woooooorthlessssssssss. Fire arrows that don't ignite shit that they hit and don't kill a dude with a direct hit? Great... The explosive arrows seem to also have a really funky splash radius. I could never get a decent result with them at least compared to the other explosives.

The whole getting arrows back thing is neat but doesn't matter in the end because ammo and money are around every corner. I also turned crosshairs off right at the start of the game so going to ADS every time with the bow seemed like a hassle and limited my FOV too much whereas just letting it rip with a LMG even without a crosshair meant that I probably ended up hitting something with the 200 bullets that it spat out at a very high rate of fire.

#23 Posted by snarekick (97 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@snarekick: One hit kill with all humans.

niiice

it's a little ridiculous how much ammo the animals can take. its like, i know a tiger should be tough in this game, it should present a challenge but a point blank shotgun to the face should probably take one down

#24 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
#25 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

The knife and the bow are the only weapons you need in that game. And pebbles. On a related note I hope some of the games coming out in the future featuring bows in a modern context use things like trigger style releases and arrow rests, I would like to see the amount of detail they put into gun design in games be reflected in archery as well.

#26 Edited by Tennmuerti (8073 posts) -

The bow has several good uses:

• In the first half of the game before you get the .50 cal sniper, the bow is great because it's a 1 hit kill silent weapon on standard humans anywhere on the body, unlike the M-700 which is head shot only. Making the bow great for close-mid range silent take downs.
  • It can also be use to quickly kill 2 dudes silently at the same time, before you get the chained kill perk or if they are standing just a little bit too far apart. Shoot one of them and immediately stealth kill the other.
  • Fire arrows can take down a basic heavy in 2 shots semi silently, useful early game before you get the last tattoo tier for the heavy take down, or the .50, and still want to get the silent outpost capture bonuses if they ahve heavies inside
  • Acts as a long range grenade launcher in a pinch to blow up cars and other shit, while not using a separate slot

Overall it's a great tool for a stealthy play style in the first half of the game.

#27 Posted by plaintomato (599 posts) -

The bow is the best silenced pistol in the game!

#28 Posted by Sanity (1896 posts) -

I also love the bow, its pretty badass.

#29 Posted by thetenthdoctor (291 posts) -

Bow is awesome. I agree it sucks for tougher wildlife, but it's my favorite against humans. Love sitting in a bush and dropping dudes silently, while the rest of the pirates start running around yelling but can't figure out where I am. Very Arkham City-ish.

#30 Posted by Blastroid (257 posts) -

The bow or more the arrow can also be used just like throwing a rock for distraction purposes.

#31 Posted by jerseyscum (870 posts) -

The bow is almost always a silent kill. And when I get caught, just switch to explosive arrows. It's worked so far.

#32 Posted by TooWalrus (13167 posts) -

@Hizang: http://us.audionetwork.com/production-music/pimp-my-bass_41952.aspx

#33 Posted by deathfury (531 posts) -

A bow got stuck in my player model. Whenever I look down I see the top of a floating bow, even in cutscenes. So I guess I do rock the bow pretty hard.

#34 Posted by Sackmanjones (4687 posts) -

I roll with the bow and sniper and my machete as my stealth weapons. Then I have the assault rifle ( I think it's the stg?) and magnum for loud encounters. I enjoy drawing pirates out of their camps and then planting a shit ton of mines and c4 around the camp. When they come back from searching it turns into a fireworks show. Take note kids and try it yourself.

#35 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

Bow, Flamethrower (real man's weapon), 1887 shotgun, and Sniper rifle.

#36 Edited by Fattony12000 (7298 posts) -

The Bushman is sickening, it's a customized P416 (fully-automatic) assault rifle with a suppressor, extended magazine and marksman sight. It's been my primary weapon throughout the second island. It's the best bow in the game.

@Sploder: I find I can start fires real easily with the grenade launcher. Sitting, hidden, on top of a hill and dropping shots all over a base really heats things up for anyone caught down there. Obviously the flamethrower is still highly pimp, but the fact that you have to get close is a pain during a large scale firefight.

Don't Point
#37 Posted by Farbelowaverage (49 posts) -

My most effective weapon has been Dingoes. So far, it's happened in three camps. I use a close range set-up. Suppressed Pistols, SMGs, a touch of C4... give it that Burn Notice vibe. Anyway, I sneak into the camps, shut off the alarm, booby-trap the vehicles, and when I go to line up my attacks? *yip-yip-yip* "You took down an outpost without being detected, 1500xp awarded."

#38 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4338 posts) -

The one hit silent kill is why I can't stop using the bow. I'll switch to sniper rifle if I'm too far away.

#39 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@Hizang: As soon as I git the Explosive Arrow upgrade I thought about Rambo II.

#40 Posted by kaos_cracker (579 posts) -

I thought about using the bow, but I already have 3 silenced weapons so I just bring RPGs now

#41 Posted by MB (12261 posts) -

I just did some testing with the marksman bow sight, and the range indicators are way off. I parked a car and measured it 100m away, lined up the 100m dot, and my arrows were sailing above it and flying off into the distance. A 100m target seems to be dead on at the 50m bow sight mark, maybe a little lower.

Moderator Online

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.