This looks amazing. Dat Powerglove soundtrack. I need to go watch Tron naow.
Blood Dragon, GamePLAY, May1 [UPDATed]
@blu3v3nom07: i dont see this being no more than 5 hours long main story wise
but judging from the achievements, to "complete" the game id say about 10-15 hours as it seems like there's stuff to do.
- Welcome to the Party, Pal - Finished Helicopter Entry (20)
- One Small Step - Finished First Garrison (20)
- Way to Go, Garri-Son - Finish all the Garrisons (20)
- Kill Them All - Finish all the Predator's Path Quests (50)
- End Game - Finished Final Showdown (5)
- Nice Like Jesus - Finish all the Hostages Situations (30)
- Murder Nature - Kill all the Animal Types (5)
- Set Them Free - Destroy 5 Braincages (15)
- Just the Tip - Kill a Dragon with the Bow (20)
- Blood Dragon Down - Kill Your First Dragon (20)
- Dragon Slayer - Kill 25 Dragons (20)
- What are You Reading For? - Find all of Dr. Carlyle's Notes (20)
- The Greatest Format of all Time - Find all VHS Tapes (40)
- Hail to the King - Reach Maximum Level and Become the Ultimate Badass (30)
- Running man - After saving Darling, enter Combat Mode with a Dragon and Return to Stealth (20)
- Tooled Up - Own all Weapons Attachments (20)
- Derp - Jump Down from 50 Meters (20)
- The Drug of the Nation - Find all TV SETS to Decrypt the Hidden Message (15)
- The Only True Stopper - Headshot Every Type of Enemy (50)
So apparently this leaked early which is where the gameplay footage comes from?
I've been playing it, and while it starts out with a fairly linear level, after that first section it opens up into the original Far Cry 3 island, but with darkened skies and neon lights everywhere. It has an incredible soundtrack with songs from Powerglove, who did parts of the soundtrack for Hobo With a Shotgun. They're fantastic.
The outposts are there for you to take over, and they're completely redesigned from how they were in FC3 vanilla. Now they're kind of like futuristic forts, but you can still do your stealth thing if you like. The vehicles return as well, but now since you're a cyborg you can literally run and accelerate faster than the vehicles can drive, and you can jump from any height without taking fall damage so feel free to fly a hang glider over your destination and drop in.
All the animals are also ROBO ANIMALS, they have new skins and sounds. There is also a new big animal who's incredibly dangerous and kind of wrecks everything with its laser beams. I'll leave it to you to figure out what that animal is.
The weapons are different too, you get an almost exact replica of the Auto 9 from Robocop, a laser SMG, the Cobra Assault Cannon from Robocop (I like it!), and the Winchester 1887 (now named 1991 for T2) from Terminator 2. Also the bow returns as a Nano bow.
It's really sweet and I think Jeff and the gang will love it. It hasn't jumped the shark, it just has an awesome new style and tons of cool 80s references. Also the main character is voice by Michael Biehn, who played Kyle Reese in Terminator 1 and was in Aliens, and he has all kinds of goofy one liners for pretty much everything. He even comments on how ridiculous the collectibles are every time you pick one up, and after you collect a significant amount of them he'll say "I think I'm actually starting to like this shit."
I think pretty much everyone who remotely likes the 80s and the silly action movies from the era will absolutely adore this game. I'm already prepared to buy it as soon as it's out. It's super crazy and honestly I'm really surprised that Ubisoft greenlit it. I'm glad it was made though, really can't wait to see Jeff and Ryan's reactions to it.
@fzackm: You've sold me, this game's aesthetic is right in my wheelhouse. One thing I wish it had was an 80s VHS filter for an optional viewing experience. If I have a complaint about the game footage I've seen thus far, it's a bit too slick for the 80s schlock vibe it's going for. Still, everything else looks like good, stupid fun.
I wish I could have been in the board meeting where it was explained "here's what's next for Q1, 2013..."
The Polygon article about it today mentions that the creative director went to the board with a 50 slide presentation, but they gave him the go ahead only 3 slides in.
This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.
Comment and Save
Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.