Can my laptop handle this game?

#1 Posted by TatoBins (82 posts) -

Hey all,

I'm struggling over whether I should get this for my PC or for consoles. The quick look made me pretty dubious towards the 360 version, and a bad frame rate is something that always bothers me. Obviously, the PC versions seems like the way to go if you've got a machine that can handle it, but the only computer I have is a bootcamped 2011 Macbook Pro. It's sporting a Radeon 6700m w/ 4gb of ram. I've been playing recent games like X-COM & Darksiders on it no problem, but this seems way more system intensive than those. The hardest I've pushed it was with the Witcher 2, which ran alright at mostly high specs, but it did have some framerate issues (especially during cutscenes).

So basically, my question is do you think my computer will run the game any better than on consoles, or am I going to get a choppy experience regardless, in which case I'd probably go PS3 so I can run it more easily through my TV?

#2 Edited by AlexW00d (6273 posts) -

It doesn't look as good as the Witcher, and it's only just more resource intensive that it, so you should be fine if the Witcher was fine. It will most definitely run better than the console version anyway (as long as you're right on Witcher playing fine at mostly high)

#3 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

More than likely the game will be choppy but it's hard to say at what settings the game will be fine at because I don't know too much about mobile gpu performances.

#4 Posted by johncallahan (562 posts) -

I'm going to say no. Far Cry 3 is a bit more demanding than Witcher 2 from what I hear (though not sure on that). And even when I used to play games on my Macbook it was never ideal. I'd go with 360 or PS3 just to be safe.

#5 Posted by HelicopterSpy (144 posts) -

I have an iMac with roughly the same specs (6770M, 2.7 gHz Core i5) and it falls within the recommended specs of the game. The only problem being that it says that these mobile versions of the graphics cards are listed as "Should work, but not supported." Generally, the mobile version of a card is just about the same as the previous series number, so a 6000M series is about the same as a 5000 full sized, so it's basically a 3 year old card at this point. However, video cards all the way back to the AMD 2900 are supported and that's 5 years old at this point. I'd say that it's probably not going to be ideal, but it'll run just fine.

#6 Posted by Nick (666 posts) -

Is there a demo for the game????

#7 Posted by tunaburn (1890 posts) -

www.canirunit.com

#8 Edited by Sanity (1906 posts) -

@tunaburn said:

www.canirunit.com

That site is pretty crappy, and i feel like it lowballs everything to try and sell stupid people hardware. Its telling me my 6970 is right on the edge of recommended requirements in the little graphic lol.

#9 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

@dudy80 said:

@tunaburn said:

www.canirunit.com

That site is pretty crappy, and i feel like it lowballs everything to try and sell stupid people hardware. Its telling me my 6970 is right on the edge of recommended requirements in the little graphic lol.

Seriously. Don't ever trust that site, it's completely inaccurate.

#10 Posted by tunaburn (1890 posts) -

@dudy80: @Colourful_Hippie: its never steered me wrong when it says if i cant run a game. twice i thought for sure i could and disagreed with the site and yep, it was right. Not saying its perfect but it will tell you if you dont meet the minimum requirements posted for the game. If multiple of those dont meet you wont run it well at all.

#11 Posted by believer258 (11895 posts) -

If you ran The Witcher 2 at mostly high, then I'd imagine that you could at least run this at medium.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.