Can this PC be saved to play FC 3?

#1 Posted by Darklight (212 posts) -

Hey guys, I'm not really a tech guy so I'm hoping that someone can give me some advice. After trying to play far cry 3 on my PC, I realize that my computer begin to show its age since even at low setting I can't get a 30 FPS (I'm rolling around 25 in the intro). I'm a little disappointed but at the same I knew it would happen sooner or later since my computer is 2-3 years old.

Here's the tech part, I wonder if buying only a video card would allow me to play it on.. let's say medium with a solid frame rate. I don't want to spend 300$ on a card and would more likely aim in a range of 50-100$.

Here's some info so you can have a better idea of what I have:

• Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
  • Memory: 8192MB RAM
  • Available OS Memory: 8192MB RAM
  • Page File: 2649MB used, 13730MB available
  • DirectX Version: DirectX 11
  • User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
  • System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
  • DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
  • DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

Video Card Information:

• Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
  • DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
  • Display Memory: 756 MB
  • Dedicated Memory: 1013 MB
  • Shared Memory: 3839 MB
  • Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
  • Monitor Model: SCEI MONITOR
  • Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
  • Output Type: DVI
  • Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1124 (English)
  • Driver Version: 8.961.0.0
  • DDI Version: 10.1
  • Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
  • Driver Date/Size: 4/5/2012 21:20:04, 1067520 bytes
  • D3D9 Overlay: Not Supported
  • DXVA-HD: Not Supported
  • DDraw Status: Enabled
  • D3D Status: Enabled
  • AGP Status: Enabled

Thanks for any input.

#2 Edited by Driadon (3027 posts) -

First and foremost: Update your drivers!

Edit: Also, make sure you're just trying to run on DX9, not 11.

#3 Posted by JasonR86 (9726 posts) -

You'll be fine as long as you have your drivers up to date. It'll probably play fine with everything on medium at 1280x720 or 1280x768 at about 30 fps. Maybe better.

#4 Posted by Amilmitt (237 posts) -

look for a 6000 or 7000 series radeon card and you should be good, you shouldn't have to spend more than $200.

#5 Edited by Darklight (212 posts) -

:

Alright, I did as suggested and updated my driver (Yeah, just to prove the point of my OP first sentence... :P I knew it was not updated but I said to myself that it would not have that much of an impact on the performance so I didn't do anything. Still have a hard time to understand how a driver can affect the video card that much, and I'm a programmer... yeah shame on me :/) and set the res to 1280x720. My fps is better and around 40 when I set the game to medium. On the intro/escape, my fps is kinda all over the place though. Going as far as 50 and as low as 28-29 but normally stay in the range of 40. After trying to set the game to low to see if it would be better, still got about the same result. Still, it's better than what I had before.

There's one thing that distract me when playing though: When I move, I have the impression that the environment is pixlated, like I loose the focus of the background until I stop moving. I don't know how to explain this but it's the first game I see doing it. Kinda weird.

Thanks for the quick feedback guys, I'm gonna give the game a shot and search for a 6k or 7k series in the meantime.

#6 Posted by pandorasbox (303 posts) -

I don't know that upgrading your gpu would be useful in this situation because your CPU may act as a bottleneck toward the new gpu due to being a bit out of date. I don't think you need to scrap the entire PC, but you may want to at least upgrade the ram, CPU, gpu, and motherboard. I know that's basically your entire PC, but you'll save some cash on the psu and hdd's from reusing them as well as the case and cd drive.

~posting from iPhone, hope this is legible.

#7 Posted by JasonR86 (9726 posts) -

@Darklight:

I noticed that changing the setting about gpu buffer helped with the stuttering and problems when I moved. Maybe if you adjusted that setting the movement problem would lessen. Also try adjusting the Ambient Occlusion setting.

#8 Posted by Darklight (212 posts) -

: I'll keep that in mind for when I'll decide to make a major update on my PC. As for now, I can't afford all those change. But thanks for the advice, will probably consider it when the times come.

After playing with the gpu buffer like you suggested the game does seem less rough on the eye. And I notice that when I'm in the open world the FPS is going around 50 and 60.

For now I think the game is a lot more playable. I'll start checking for upgrade or build myself a new PC but as for now I can finally enjoy Far Cry 3 with no change. Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated.

#9 Posted by believer258 (12192 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@Darklight:

I noticed that changing the setting about gpu buffer helped with the stuttering and problems when I moved. Maybe if you adjusted that setting the movement problem would lessen. Also try adjusting the Ambient Occlusion setting.

Weren't you planning on playing this on a machine that may or may not play it? How did that turn out?

#10 Posted by JasonR86 (9726 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Darklight:

Weren't you planning on playing this on a machine that may or may not play it? How did that turn out?

If you were speaking to me it runs it ok at 1280x768 on DX-11 on a mix between low and medium. FRAPS says I get between 25-30 fps.

#11 Posted by believer258 (12192 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@believer258 said:

If you were speaking to me it runs it ok at 1280x768 on DX-11 on a mix between low and medium. FRAPS says I get between 25-30 fps.

Glad you got it running! And yeah, I was speaking to you.

#12 Posted by JasonR86 (9726 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@JasonR86 said:

@believer258 said:

Glad you got it running! And yeah, I was speaking to you.

It was weird because it felt like I was gambling when I bought it. Thank goodness it worked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.