Confusion, Citra, Sexy Time, Spoilers.

#1 Posted by Phoenix778m (255 posts) -

Did I do anything? I recently read a post by a user about the story and how the game is not about insanity but manipulation. I would tend to agree so far. Even the achievement is called Taken for Granted but who was taken for granted? Did I even kill Vaas the game had me so drugged up I don't know what happened. Did Curran and I have sex? I wake up to a island goddess dry humping me. I know there is only so much you can show in a game, but my dick wasn't even out. I feel more used than Keith. I kinda knew that Dennis was talking about Citra when he said his heart belonged to one women. Was he drinking because she had her sights on me now? That would be cool DLC to play Dennis's story. I have more to play but it just doesn't add up to me. I don't think I even killed Vaas. I want to tell Dennis nothing happened between Citra and me, if it did happen? It wasn't consensual.

#2 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4417 posts) -

So I'm guessing you didn't finish the game yet so have fun being even more bewildered by the end credits. Don't worry about making sense of it all because I realized I should ignore the shit narrative shortly after Vaas was killed. Spoilers-the ending sucks-spoilers

#3 Posted by BoOzak (964 posts) -
#4 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

So I'm guessing you didn't finish the game yet so have fun being even more bewildered by the end credits. Don't worry about making sense of it all because I realized I should ignore the shit narrative shortly after Vaas was killed. Spoilers-the endings sucks-spoilers

#5 Posted by believer258 (11984 posts) -

It's like you just wrote down a bunch of random thoughts about Far Cry 3 and called it a paragraph.

Anyway, the story in this game isn't very good. To be honest, the game itself is really good but it's got some real issues, especially post-Vaas.

#6 Posted by Eviternal (194 posts) -

Anyone interested in Far Cry 3's story (whether positive, negative or confused) should read this interview with Lead Writer Jeffrey Yohalem. Spoilers abound, obviously.

#7 Edited by CornBREDX (5595 posts) -

Edit: Even though this thread start with "spoilers" in the title, I just want to mention now my response is full of spoilers, so you were warned. Don't whine about it- you can stop reading when you want. 

You're right it doesn't make sense, but from what I gathered it's as much about drugs and insanity as much as it is about Manipulation. 

Ya see, Vaas was a hero of the Rhakyat once. Then he got popular. People used him to get what they wanted (he implies his sister did). Vaas turned to drugs to mask the pain. He became so disillusioned by his sisters manipulation that he became vengeful and some how got in to the ranks of Hoyt's personal escapades (i suspect, although it is never said, that he started up the band of pirates- since he was a popular hero- and started doing petty crimes and Hoyt gave him more purpose).  

I think drugs had a lot to do with it. The story also implies drugs are how Hoyt has Vaas on a leash. Vaas basically went from one manipulator to another, really. 

Vaas' story is incredibly sad, I thought. 

I don't really care to analyze any other parts of the story though. His sister was as much a piece of shit as Hoyt was, and I could give a fuck about the main character or his friends (and it made no sense why Jason would one minute be all about saving his friends, then next "no I dont want to leave the island anymore", then next "i want to leave the island now"- the ending is so ham fisted and just thrown together I could whine about it all day).

#8 Posted by Phoenix778m (255 posts) -

Yep it was a bunch of rambling. I was hoping for some cohesion in the story but I guess that's not going to happen. I am having fun despite the story. I'll say it again; I would love me some Dennis DLC to maybe show more back story between Vaas and Citra. I haven't finished the game yet but these short comings won't stop me.

#9 Posted by Phoenix778m (255 posts) -
@Eviternal I will check it out.
#10 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

@Phoenix778m: the position she was in and the animation you see as you come out of it .. it looks like she was playing the part of the giant fire-darkness beast in the drug sequence. Not sex, just sitting on your character and freaking him the fuck out while he tripped.

#11 Posted by DizzyMedal (400 posts) -

@Eviternal said:

Anyone interested in Far Cry 3's story (whether positive, negative or confused) should read this interview with Lead Writer Jeffrey Yohalem. Spoilers abound, obviously.

Yeah, I read that when Patrick linked it in Worth Reading and thought it was terrible. In the end it mostly just sounds like 'We realised early on that we can't write for shit. So we rolled with it, hard. But it's okay guys, we made it into satire.'

While I'm sure he's very pleased he wrote a terrible story to critique terrible stories, I'm looking forward to the day when maybe someone decides that their statement against bad game stories will be made by writing a good game story. (Crazy, I know, but we can dream, can't we?)

#12 Posted by Phoenix778m (255 posts) -
@DizzyMedal I got the same sense from the interview. He double speaks alot which makes me feel he's covering up. He's smart because I wouldn't want to bad mouth my income either; present or future. But obfucating words to make a deep mysterious plot isn't genius. It creates a story as muddled as the book of revelations. Inception; for example, came down to a single object. In the writers own words he removed multiple supports. That's not good writing. Good writing is where you set up multiple supports and then remove the most crucial one or reveal one that you had missed. A spinning top in inception, A medical bracelet in Choke; "Luke I am your father." Vaas as the giantbomb crew talked about could have been that main support. If Citra is a manipulative hitch they should have shown cracks in her persona which Jason would have dismissed anyway because he couldnt get past his thirst for action and revenge, so far I havent seen that. Instead of a frog being boiled slowly, they just throw him in the pot? What if it was revealed instead that Dennis and Citra were manipulating you? What if Vaas indirectly ends up helping you? If their was more under the surface these porcelain dolls.don't break.
#13 Posted by Spoonman671 (4693 posts) -

I'm sure somebody has already mentioned this, but "Taken for Granted" is a reference to your brother, Grant, who Vaas killed. I guess you could say it has a double-meaning though.

#14 Posted by Aterons (198 posts) -

I lost it at the part where 20 years old average sized brat can shoot and an arrow at 400 m away to hit and exact 10-10 cm spot with a bow that most humans would have to train with years upon years to achieve that feat at 50 meters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.