Disabling Uplay overlay solved my crashing issues

#1 Posted by MB (12738 posts) -

I wasn't even able to get to the menu in Far Cry 3...screwed around with it for an hour before trying to disable the Uplay overlay. Bingo, that was it...no problems now. Try it if you're having issues.

Screw you, Ubisoft...ugh.

#2 Edited by Sanity (1940 posts) -

Wonder if it could be conflicting with the steam overlay, i think i'v been having a similar issue with fallen enchantress, stardock has there own overlay thing now too...

#3 Posted by PerryVandell (2106 posts) -

I'll keep this in mind, thanks.

#4 Posted by selbie (1932 posts) -

Oh video games, what do you do?!

#5 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1672 posts) -

@dudy80 said:

Wonder if it could be conflicting with the steam overlay, i think i'v been having a similar issue with fallen enchantress, stardock has there own overlay thing now too...

I didnt buy FC3 on steam but I did link it as a non-steam game to add it to my steam library. For me both the Steam- and the uPlay-Overlay work perfectly fine. The game is even smart enough to recognize that I bound it to the ubi-launcher and carry the steam overlay all the way into the game. Not every game that uses a launcher can do that.

#6 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

I fucking hate Uplay.

#7 Posted by Sanity (1940 posts) -

@2HeadedNinja said:

@dudy80 said:

I didnt buy FC3 on steam but I did link it as a non-steam game to add it to my steam library. For me both the Steam- and the uPlay-Overlay work perfectly fine. The game is even smart enough to recognize that I bound it to the ubi-launcher and carry the steam overlay all the way into the game. Not every game that uses a launcher can do that.

I know, was just a thought, really im not even sure if thats my issue with FE so its neither here nor there. Its like 4 am and i should be sleeping but instead im browsing forums so disregard my dumb posts.

#8 Posted by Legend (2659 posts) -

No crashes for me so far thankfully. I have the Steam version and didn't have to disable the Uplay overlay.

#9 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1672 posts) -

@dudy80 said:

@2HeadedNinja said:

@dudy80 said:

I know, was just a thought, really im not even sure if thats my issue with FE so its neither here nor there. Its like 4 am and i should be sleeping but instead im browsing forums so disregard my dumb posts.

I didnt think your post was dumb, I hope I didnt invoke that feeling. Just wanted to say that at least for me both overlays work together.

#10 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4420 posts) -
@Legend
No crashes for me so far thankfully. I have the Steam version and didn't have to disable the Uplay overlay.
#11 Posted by JohngPR (67 posts) -

Thanks for the tip. Worked great. I've been playing the game in Uplay's "Safe Mode" just to get it to work until I came across this thread. :)

#12 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

Even with the PC version being "superior" Im fine and dandy with going with the 360 version just so I don't have to deal with UPlay.

#13 Posted by MB (12738 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

Even with the PC version being "superior" Im fine and dandy with going with the 360 version just so I don't have to deal with UPlay.

It's worth it...and there really isn't any "dealing with it" now, it's an extra unnecessary layer but it just sits in the background. I'll still take that over a console version, the pros are just far too many and UPlay doesn't even come close to outweighing them.

#14 Posted by jsnyder82 (744 posts) -

Uplay sucks, no question about it. I bought my game on Steam, I want it to launch from Steam. Fuck you, Ubisoft!

Having said that, I'll gladly put up with it over the console versions because I get 60fps on Very High/Ultra settings. The good outweighs the bad.

#15 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Does the steam version have achievements? How do you disable it?

#16 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

@MB: Eh. I'm enjoying the console version just dandy. Besides I only bought it today because I got it at 20% off oh and friends... friends are all on 360.

#17 Edited by sungahymn (1023 posts) -

Oh, a moderator actually created a topic.

That's good to hear. When I get the game, I'll keep it in mind. Oh wait, is the Uplay stuff just on the PC?

#18 Edited by jsnyder82 (744 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Does the steam version have achievements?

No. Uplay handles all the achievements. When you launch the game from Steam, it just takes you to Uplay, and you have to launch the game from there. The Steam version basically feels like a Non-Steam Game shortcut to me. Except for the fact that there are both Uplay AND Steam overlays.

#19 Posted by MB (12738 posts) -

@sungahymn said:

Oh, a moderator actually created a topic.

There are six or seven of them on the front page of the forums alone right now...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.