Does anyone else get nervous when they swim out in the water?

#1 Posted by redbliss (647 posts) -

I have a fear of open water swimming, so doing a lot of the stuff in the oceans in Far Cry 3 makes me very nervous. For example, getting shark skins was hard for me because I hated swimming out in the ocean to get the skin from the sunken shark. Just wondering if anyone else had difficulty with this same thing? The thing that gets me is that I have played other games with large underwater portions, but they were never unsettling to me like Far Cry 3 is.

#2 Posted by CornBREDX (5046 posts) -

Yes, but not because I'm afraid of open water. Rather because I was afraid of getting attacked by the sharks in the game- them things is vicious =P

#3 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

I was afraid of getting attacked by sharks until I discovered that the only thing they do is swim near you and "bite" you.

#4 Posted by Binman88 (3685 posts) -

Not even a little bit.

#5 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2020 posts) -

There was this one time I dove from a waterfall and for the first time got attacked by an alligator. It was pretty intense since I totally didn't realize they were in the game until then. So every time I dive in that game I'm kinda on top of the keyboard just in case of the alligator QTE.

#6 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7071 posts) -

Yep. They're really quick and freak me out. Crocodiles initially worried me too but after the first one I never saw another.

#7 Posted by Spoonman671 (4588 posts) -

I used to get nervous in Far Cry 2 even though there were no crocs or gators in that game at all. I don't worry about them in Far Cry 3 though because I'll just punch/stab them if they show up.

#8 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@CornBREDX said:

Yes, but not because I'm afraid of open water. Rather because I was afraid of getting attacked by the sharks in the game- them things is vicious =P

Yeah, this. Swimming across a large body of water makes me slightly uneasy because I think a shark is just going to chomp my leg.

#9 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I don't even swim in the water in my perma death playthough, always look for a jetski or a boat if im going to a island.

#10 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1177 posts) -

I hated swimming in Banjo Kazooie.

Fucking Snacker

#11 Posted by eezo (284 posts) -

yeah, i hate it.. i get the same panic as when i think about sharks if i'm in open water in real life.

#12 Posted by pweidman (2319 posts) -

Hell yes. And just like so many other things in FC3. Maybe it's a credit to the game's overall atmosphere or the absence of any serious motivation provided to the player by the game, but it constantly makes me anxious and uncomfortable, or 'nervous' per se.

From tiger growls, always at the most inconvenient time, to the random swarm of hungry K-dragons, to the rickety-ass radio towers that are way too far off the ground...yikes.

I'm always feeling like begging off and quitting helping these sorry protagonist(s)survive.

#13 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

FUCK SHARKS.

#14 Posted by Xeirus (1295 posts) -

I finally found a place with people like me... I don't have to be ashamed anymore *cries*

#15 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3847 posts) -

I've been nervous of video game sharks since Tomb Raider 2

#16 Posted by GJSmitty (651 posts) -

I was for a long time, but eventually I discovered that they were only in the spots shown on the map, and there would only be a couple of them in one area. Also they usually stay near the top of the water. It would be cool if some lurked lower in the water in deeper areas, and didn't show up on the map.

But man, that mission where you have to climb up the side of the big boat from the water, where there are sharks right in the area. I was freaking out.

#17 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

Have you played the Banjo Kazooie beach level with the sharks? Talk about nightmare fuel...

#18 Posted by g6065 (273 posts) -

Ummmm...it's a videogame.

#19 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

The first crocodile that attacked me freaked me out cause I wasnt expecting it at all.  But other than that, I was fine because I kept using the drug which allowed me to see animals all the time whenever I headed into the water.  Yes, I was that scared.  

#20 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

My first crocodile attack has forever made me wary of water. Scared the shit out of me when it happened.

#21 Posted by SeanCoughing (261 posts) -

yes absolutely, the first time I killed a shark and had to jump in the water to skin it I was nervously yelling shitshitshitshit!

#22 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I am TERRIFIED of video game sharks, dude. It's weird. I blame playing JAWS on the NES when I was like 7. Anyway, to lessen the fear, what I typically do is allow the sharks to kill me, so I know what it's like and what to expect. It helps me. Maybe you should try that. Like Voxel said above, he was scared until he realized all they do is swim around you and bite you, which makes it sound so much less scary.

#23 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2216 posts) -

I was only ever cautious when it was the muddy waters where the crocs would hang out, occasionally a civilian would get too close to the water an would immediately be snatched by one and dragged in.

#24 Posted by Aleryn (704 posts) -

Nope. However I spam Hunter Vision when I need to swim through shark infested areas, it's not worth the risk to go without that buff there.

#25 Posted by kerse (2110 posts) -

not really, the first crocodile scared me because I went to swim in a dark cave and it came outta nowhere but after that not a big deal. I've never been attacked by a shark, maybe I'm lucky

#26 Posted by Ben_H (3336 posts) -

I take every opportunity to get in fist fights with sharks.

#27 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5813 posts) -

@kerse said:

not really, the first crocodile scared me because I went to swim in a dark cave and it came outta nowhere but after that not a big deal. I've never been attacked by a shark, maybe I'm lucky

Same thing happened to me D:

that was a really freaky moment.

#28 Posted by kerse (2110 posts) -

@FancySoapsMan: lol yeah I actually screamed out loud a little

#29 Posted by Elfen (41 posts) -

I am terrified when I swim out in the water. I kind of hoped they would have a Jaws hunting mission.

#30 Posted by MurderSlingshot (70 posts) -

Yes. I'm happy I'm not the only one. I've never been attacked by a croc or a shark but I know they are just biding their time

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.