Does the PC version have a southpaw controller option?

#1 Posted by Rodent (260 posts) -

So I PM'ed Gerstmann a few days ago with this question since I'm pretty sure he's a lefty but haven't heard back so I'll ask it here.

Does the PC version of FC3 have an option in the menus for playing left handed using the 360 controller? Meaning can I use the left stick to look around and the right stick to move?

Reason I ask is A: I'm a lefty and B: FarCry 2 on PC didn't have this option.

Thanks guys!

#2 Posted by Mister_V (1174 posts) -

I don't think so. I'm playing on PC and a lefty but I always use a controller right handed.

#3 Posted by mikey87144 (1649 posts) -

Doesn't the PC version have fully mapable controls though?

#4 Edited by BasketSnake (1153 posts) -

I'm using my dualshock with motionjoy. I've changed whatever I wanted to change. Developers should always let you and those that don't are monkeypoops.

#5 Posted by Roland_D11 (185 posts) -

Yes, it has that option, I just tried it. When you plug in a gamepad it asks you, if you want to use it. You can then choose between some control schemes, one is 'lefty stick', their equivalent to southpaw.

#6 Posted by BillyMethers (149 posts) -

Yes there is a left handed options that switches the thumbsticks and triggers around.

So far I find this game to be mediocre and I feel the staff on the site are misrepresenting this game somewhat because this game is no where near as good as they made it look I feel.

Far Cry 3 bought ads on this site and honestly, I dont know if I'll play this all the way through. Audio work is not good and the gameplay is mediocre. It's my opinion of this game so far.

#7 Posted by Roland_D11 (185 posts) -

Hmm, I've been loving every bit of the game so far (6 hours in). But you know what I honestly despise: People that insinuate that the staff is saying good things because there are ads for the game on the site. There were ads for RE6 and you remember that coverage, right? If you don't trust them and think they can be bought, why are you even here?

At op:

I made a screenshot:

#8 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

@BillyMethers said:

Yes there is a left handed options that switches the thumbsticks and triggers around.

So far I find this game to be mediocre and I feel the staff on the site are misrepresenting this game somewhat because this game is no where near as good as they made it look I feel.

Far Cry 3 bought ads on this site and honestly, I dont know if I'll play this all the way through. Audio work is not good and the gameplay is mediocre. It's my opinion of this game so far.

Anyone who is excited about anything tends to oversell it. Thats how being excited works. They aren't you, so don't expect to always have the exact same reaction to a game.

#9 Edited by BillyMethers (149 posts) -

@Zippedbinders: I don't need a lesson on how things work. You can't tell me or redefine how I interpreted the context of the situation or my opinion. Plus, I never expected anybody to be me; that would be stupid. I didn't ask for your 2 cents anyways.

#10 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

@BillyMethers said:

@Zippedbinders: I don't need a lesson on how things work. You can't tell me or redefine how I interpreted the context of the situation or my opinion. Plus, I never expected anybody to be me; that would be stupid. I didn't ask for your 2 cents anyways.

Welcome to the internet.

#11 Posted by ericdrum (404 posts) -

@Zippedbinders: Ha ha ha. He offers an unsolicited opinion and then criticizes you for offering your opinion. Ahhh gotta love the internet. +1 for you.

#12 Posted by Rodent (260 posts) -

@Roland_D11 said:

Hmm, I've been loving every bit of the game so far (6 hours in). But you know what I honestly despise: People that insinuate that the staff is saying good things because there are ads for the game on the site. There were ads for RE6 and you remember that coverage, right? If you don't trust them and think they can be bought, why are you even here?

At op:

I made a screenshot:

First off my friend thank you very much for putting up the screen shot. By the looks of it not only can I play left handed but Ubisoft decided to not make you shoot with the left trigger when you switch to lefty controls.

Reason I say this is, when I played FC2 on 360 there was a southpaw option, which was awesome, but playing that way you also had to learn to shoot with the left trigger which kinda sucked. I just wish everyone would simply cut and paste the control options from CoD or ,better yet, Halo and I think everyone would be happy.

Again Roland thanks for taking the time and posting this shot I cannot wait to play this game...let's just hope my PC can run it. I hit up "Can You run it" and I'm below the Recommended benchmark for the game, but I'm that way for Max Payne 3 as well and that game looks and runs like a dream on my PC. Fingers crossed that FC3 will as well.

#13 Posted by plaintomato (598 posts) -

I thought most lefty's used standard controller configs. I mean...sprint jump?

Anyway, it's lame that MS doesn't just make a lefty controller - proper like with XYAB on the left side too. Seems like a simple way to corner 10% of the market and snatch up some goodwill. I can't see how switching the sticks would be enough.

#14 Posted by Rodent (260 posts) -

@plaintomato said:

I thought most lefty's used standard controller configs. I mean...sprint jump?

Anyway, it's lame that MS doesn't just make a lefty controller - proper like with XYAB on the left side too. Seems like a simple way to corner 10% of the market and snatch up some goodwill. I can't see how switching the sticks would be enough.

Well I can't speak for all Southpaws but just having the sticks reversed (left for look, right for move) is fine with me. Sure I have to use my right pointer finger to jump when I'm moving and at first it was a bit tricky, but after years of FPS gaming I'm more than comfortable with it.

As for moving the XYAB buttons to the left side, I wouldn't be into that at all...but again I can't speak for every left handed person out there.

#15 Posted by plaintomato (598 posts) -

@Rodent said:

@plaintomato said:

I thought most lefty's used standard controller configs. I mean...sprint jump?

Anyway, it's lame that MS doesn't just make a lefty controller - proper like with XYAB on the left side too. Seems like a simple way to corner 10% of the market and snatch up some goodwill. I can't see how switching the sticks would be enough.

Well I can't speak for all Southpaws but just having the sticks reversed (left for look, right for move) is fine with me. Sure I have to use my right pointer finger to jump when I'm moving and at first it was a bit tricky, but after years of FPS gaming I'm more than comfortable with it.

As for moving the XYAB buttons to the left side, I wouldn't be into that at all...but again I can't speak for every left handed person out there.

Oh yeah? Well, then sprint jump air crouch iron sights alt fire and land with melee into prone no scope bitch!

#16 Posted by kishinfoulux (2250 posts) -

Not really on topic, but figured I'll ask here. I know you can only equip one weapon from the get go, but I have like 4-7 weapons unlocked already. How do I choose which weapon I want to use currently? I know you hold LB (playing with 360 pad) to bring up that radial menu, but I can't seem to change what weapon I want in that slot.

#17 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -
@BillyMethers

@Zippedbinders: I don't need a lesson on how things work. You can't tell me or redefine how I interpreted the context of the situation or my opinion. Plus, I never expected anybody to be me; that would be stupid. I didn't ask for your 2 cents anyways.

You are coming off as an insufferable prick. There's another two cents. This thread isn't about you, it's about goddamn control schemes. Now scram.
#18 Posted by cclemon36 (180 posts) -

@kishinfoulux: Hey, at least it's the same game... Anyway, you choose which weapons to take with you on the road in the Shop Menu, so the same menu where you'd normally purchase weapons from. I'm sorry I can't be more specific than that right now, but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

#19 Posted by kishinfoulux (2250 posts) -

@cclemon36 said:

@kishinfoulux: Hey, at least it's the same game... Anyway, you choose which weapons to take with you on the road in the Shop Menu, so the same menu where you'd normally purchase weapons from. I'm sorry I can't be more specific than that right now, but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Yeah I thought about that just before. This confirms it. Thanks a lot. ^_^

#20 Posted by Rodent (260 posts) -

@plaintomato said:

Oh yeah? Well, then sprint jump air crouch iron sights alt fire and land with melee into prone no scope bitch!

?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.