Doesn't appear in the Steam store

#1 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

So in the Steam store, near the bottom of the page, it says the Far Cry 3 has released in the EU. Clicking on the link takes you to the news page and has a hyper-link to the game page. Clicking on that gives you an 'Oops' message.

Just wondering if this is the case for everyone else, or if others have been able to buy it?

#2 Posted by natedawg_kz (234 posts) -

If you're from the UK the officially release date is tomorrow

#3 Edited by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

@natedawg_kz said:

Yeah, I am. Apparently we may not be seeing a Steam release at all, a la AC3.

#4 Posted by mak_wikus (525 posts) -

Yeah, apparently Ubisoft has some exclusivity deal with GAME over there.

#5 Posted by Mister_V (1300 posts) -

Yep I had to pre order it from uplay. GAME throwing their weight around is getting tiresome.

#6 Posted by Fallen189 (5010 posts) -

So fucking stupid. I want to play it, a lot, but I have NO IDEA how to even get my hands on it. It's not on steam, or on origin, so where else am I supposed to look?

#7 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I went into a GAME the other day, to see if they had changed their practices after going out of business and then being bailed out.

Everything is still supremely overpriced.

I don't understand how a company can go bankrupt, be bought out, then continue to trade exactly as they were. Here's hoping they go out of business again, because fuck that retailer.

Boggles the fucking mind.

#8 Edited by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

It was the same shit with THQ last year, nothing appeared on Steam because of GAME.

GAME stores barely have one shelf devoted to PC games and most of it is shovelware or learning software, not to mention they recently went bankrupt, yet they're fighting against Steam for PC exclusives?

Losing your job always sucks but GAME should have been left to rot.

@Fallen189: Green Man Gaming have it for £25.

#9 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

@Vorbis said:

It was the same shit with THQ last year, nothing appeared on Steam because of GAME.

GAME stores barely have one shelf devoted to PC games and most of it is shovelware or learning software, not to mention they recently went bankrupt, yet they're fighting against Steam for PC exclusives?

Losing your job always sucks but GAME should have been left to rot.

@Fallen189: Green Man Gaming have it for £25.

That was actually one of the major reasons for their initial downfall: they paid huge amounts for exclusivity (special editions and the ilk), priced them ridiculously and then lost money when no one was stupid enough to buy them.

GAME has to either move with the times or die. Given their stance, though, they're unlikely to embrace the future.

See also: RIAA, MPAA, etc.

#10 Posted by onarum (2102 posts) -

in here it will come out only in 5 freaking days..... I already pre-purchased though, for whatever reason...

#11 Posted by cikame (1003 posts) -

Considering first week sales are so important these days, this is really poorly timed.
I was about to purchase it on Steam, nevermind.

#12 Posted by Ashuramaru (41 posts) -

It's on Gamersgate as a DD, perfectly reliable site if you've never used it.

#13 Edited by Lukeweizer (2687 posts) -

Can anyone explain about the benifits of buying it from Steam are? I could get it from GMG for a discounted price, but it's not Steam activated. I know Steam is sexy and all, but is it worth paying $50 for the game when I could pay a lesser price elsewhere? Am I just paying to automatically download patches? And support Gabe's beard?

#14 Posted by andrewf87462 (558 posts) -
#15 Posted by jsnyder82 (735 posts) -

@Lukeweizer said:

Can anyone explain about the benifits of buying it from Steam are? I could get it from GMG for a discounted price, but it's not Steam activated. I know Steam is sexy and all, but is it worth paying $50 for the game when I could pay a lesser price elsewhere? Am I just paying to automatically download patches? And support Gabe's beard?

Well, for me, it's mostly about the fact that most of my games are already on Steam. I have a few that I bought on Amazon, a few from Gamefly, even a few from Origin. But typically when I buy, I buy on Steam because most of my games are already on there, and it's nice to have them mostly in one place.

If GMG has it cheaper, well you might as well save some money and get it there.

#16 Posted by Lukeweizer (2687 posts) -
@jsnyder82

@Lukeweizer said:

Well, for me, it's mostly about the fact that most of my games are already on Steam. I have a few that I bought on Amazon, a few from Gamefly, even a few from Origin. But typically when I buy, I buy on Steam because most of my games are already on there, and it's nice to have them mostly in one place.

If GMG has it cheaper, well you might as well save some money and get it there.

I'm in the same boat. I prefer my games on Steam... For reasons I can't quite explain. I'm finding myself wanting to pay more money just for the steam copy. For what? So it can count my total hours played? I built a PC so I would stop being a slave to the 360 and achievements, and now I'm just a slave to steam.
#17 Posted by Wampa1 (675 posts) -

@Lukeweizer: Doesn't really matter in this case because all the steam version will do is launch Uplay. Uplay has it's own achievement system for you to become a slave to if you'd like though!

#18 Posted by Lukeweizer (2687 posts) -
@Wampa1

@Lukeweizer: Doesn't really matter in this case because all the steam version will do is launch Uplay. Uplay has it's own achievement system for you to become a slave to if you'd like though!

So there aren't even Steam achievement to half care about? Geez.
#19 Posted by andrewf87462 (558 posts) -

@andrewf87462 said:

I've just bought it from here - http://uk.gamesplanet.com/buy-download-pc-games/Far-Cry(R)-3-3167-38.html

I would rather have used Steam, but i'll get over it.

Ok, just a warning for anyone that does buy it from Gamesplanet.com, their downloader is slow as hell, so if you purchase Far Cry 3 tonight, you won't be playing it until sometime over the weekend.

#20 Posted by Wampa1 (675 posts) -

@Lukeweizer: nah but there are a full suite of Uplay ones, you can half (or more likely) quarter care about them. Yay for meaningless trinkets that make me spend an hour hunting pigs!

#21 Posted by theodacourt (536 posts) -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-23-ubisoft-in-talks-with-valve-to-get-assassins-creed-3-and-far-cry-3-on-steam-in-the-uk

#22 Posted by Ashuramaru (41 posts) -

@Lukeweizer: All my console games are on the shelf, I don't put some there, and a couple in the cupboard under the stairs that's crazy. Same with steam, I want all my games right there.

#23 Posted by Bollard (5568 posts) -

@Mister_V said:

Yep I had to pre order it from uplay. GAME throwing their weight around is getting tiresome.

Surprising GAME even has any weight anymore. Also this is the same reason Assassins Creed 3 (still?) isn't on Steam in the UK. Or wasn't before my disc copy arrived. Ordered off Amazon instead.

#24 Posted by Alexandru (301 posts) -

its available where I live (romania)

#25 Posted by M_Shini (551 posts) -

First time i bought a physical copy of a game in awhile, and i might do more of it if it makes sense, i got it a day before release and for only £25, before this i didn't even know Uplay sold games digitally.

#26 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4354 posts) -

Same thing happened with AC 3 over there. Expect to see it again on release day.

#27 Posted by buft (3318 posts) -

@GetEveryone said:

@natedawg_kz said:

Yeah, I am. Apparently we may not be seeing a Steam release at all, a la AC3.

the Game near me didnt even have AC3 in store on release date, apparently their dedication to PC gaming doesn't go as far as actually stocking the games

#28 Posted by Mister_V (1300 posts) -
@Chavtheworld Yeah. Although I don't think anyone has confirmed that GAME is behind this, (neither UBI or steam have said why the game isn't on there as far as I'm aware) but they pulled the same stunt last year with THQ.
#29 Posted by 49th (2758 posts) -

For fuck sake, GAME should have shut down months ago.

#30 Posted by J12088 (453 posts) -

@Mister_V said:

@Chavtheworld Yeah. Although I don't think anyone has confirmed that GAME is behind this, (neither UBI or steam have said why the game isn't on there as far as I'm aware) but they pulled the same stunt last year with THQ.

That's true on the other hand it's hard to think of any other reason for it not to be up. It's up across Europe just not here. If it is game it doesn't really make any sense. They hardly sell PC games and I'm not about to go into one of their stores and deal with the morons behind the counter. I'll just buy it from GMG or something and i imagine most PC users will do the same.

UK seems to be getting the short end of the stick a lot recently. Scribblenauts wont be coming out till 2013 now, no AC3 and no FC3. Very frustrating as i like all my games in one place.

#31 Posted by JohnLocke (257 posts) -

@J12088 said:

@Mister_V said:

That's true on the other hand it's hard to think of any other reason for it not to be up. It's up across Europe just not here. If it is game it doesn't really make any sense. They hardly sell PC games and I'm not about to go into one of their stores and deal with the morons behind the counter. I'll just buy it from GMG or something and i imagine most PC users will do the same.

UK seems to be getting the short end of the stick a lot recently. Scribblenauts wont be coming out till 2013 now, no AC3 and no FC3. Very frustrating as i like all my games in one place.

Any reason behind the Scribblenauts not being out on PC till next year? I noticed it advertised but then when I went to the Steam store it shows no results when searching for the game. I am interested in playing it so am interested to hear what is causing the delay (is it just the game isn't ready or is this Europe being delayed)?

#32 Edited by J12088 (453 posts) -

@JohnLocke: It came out everywhere. Including Australia. Just not Europe. Don't know why. At a guess I'd say they was localizing it for mainland Europe and that's why it's been delayed. Even though we speak English we have to wait for them to translate it into french.

#33 Posted by PolygonSlayer (428 posts) -

I seem to remember the Saints Row the Third was the same last year, but it showed up on steam eventually.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.