Far Cry 3 Photoshopped Cover Thread

#1 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2343 posts) -

Okay you guys have probably seen the cover by now. But after seeing a Neo Gaf Thread on photoshopping it, I knew we had to have one. Here are some I found:

Go Crazy.

#2 Posted by ThatFrood (3360 posts) -

There's a bunch of dudes complaining about the boxart in that thread but, personally, I think it's pretty cool. So far, they're doing a good job selling me on their villain.

#3 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

@ThatFrood said:

There's a bunch of dudes complaining about the boxart in that thread but, personally, I think it's pretty cool. So far, they're doing a good job selling me on their villain.

Yeah I don't mind it at all actually. Looks not bad at all.

#4 Posted by TheHT (10281 posts) -

boxart needs more soldier walking towards camera with his head slightly down. also orange and blue.

#5 Posted by EuanDewar (4513 posts) -

I think that actually looks cool as fuck. From what I've seen this game is about getting high and killing dudes in tropical settings and this boxart seems pretty in line with that.

#6 Posted by Ares42 (2443 posts) -

I think the thing that breaks it for me is the fact that he's looking at the camera. If he was just looking out towards to the beach or towards the guy it would tell much more of an interesting story, but by breaking the fourth wall it becomes so much less sinister.

#7 Posted by JacDG (2112 posts) -

I think that thing looks cool as all hell, so hyped for this game.

#8 Posted by SlashDance (1758 posts) -

It's a great box art. Props for not using the "dude holding a gun and walking towards the camera with explosions on the background" template.

#9 Posted by ViciousReiven (793 posts) -
#10 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6788 posts) -

He may be a crazy ass psycho killer, but at least he practices proper trigger discipline! That's more than most video game characters can say.

#11 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

@ViciousReiven said:

hahaha well done

#12 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
#13 Posted by JeanLuc (3518 posts) -

This is my favorite from that neogaf thread.

#14 Posted by DonutFever (3515 posts) -
Far Christmas
#15 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4497 posts) -

@matthias2437 said:

@ThatFrood said:

Yeah I don't mind it at all actually. Looks not bad at all.

It's not just that they put the villain front and center - although that is done nicely. It's the way they depict the protagonist that really clinches the deal, for me. Making him so obviously fucked, and in such a bizarre way, just emphasizes the psychotic nature of the whole thing. I really don't like that in a lot of the box art images I'm seeing, the edges are blurred out. Mohawk man may be the centerpiece, but that dude freaking out in the bottom corner really 'brings the room together'.

Also, he looks like he just realized he needs to pee. Hilarious.

I'm really hyped for this. It's probably just gonna be ok, but they are killing it with the PR for this game. If this game is half as much of a mindfuck as they've made it out to be, I'll be one happy camper.

#16 Posted by Sackmanjones (4609 posts) -
@JeanLuc

Haha that is amazing
#17 Posted by warxsnake (2626 posts) -

its not final boxart btw, just placeholder. might change

#18 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

@JeanLuc

Haha that is amazing

i demand that this be the box art!

#19 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

I don't like the dude's head in the sand. I like what they were going for, but his face just looks weird.

#20 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1722 posts) -

Thought I'd bring this to your beautiful thread. Turns out shitty radial blur and sunburn is trendy in America. 

#21 Posted by Demoskinos (13869 posts) -

Solution? Get it on steam. NO FUCKING LOOKING AT BOX ART! PROBLEMZ SOLVED!

#22 Posted by NTM (7034 posts) -

I haven't read any topics on the box art, and I haven't even seen this box art, but whoever said it's not great, I'll have to agree with. Unless the purpose is to say "look at this one villain in the game, and some dudes head in the sand!"

#23 Posted by Deusx (1879 posts) -

Actually this started in 4chan. Best thread I've ever seen.

#24 Posted by Milkman (16228 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

Thought I'd bring this to your beautiful thread. Turns out shitty radial blur and sunburn is trendy in America.

Well, the game takes place on a tropical island so his skin would probably be a little tan.

#25 Posted by Joker369 (858 posts) -

Can someone put Big Bo's face in there?

#26 Posted by NakAttack (1289 posts) -

@Milkman said:

Well, the game takes place on a tropical island so his skin would probably be a little tan.

looks like he had acne problems when he was a kid.

#27 Posted by xMP44x (2189 posts) -

I honestly hope they keep something like this boxart for the real game. I'd drop the guy in the sand though since, while we get it, it's a strange touch for people who might not be listening to the pre-release marketing. I'll say that they're doing a fantastic job of selling me on the villain, though!

#28 Posted by warxsnake (2626 posts) -
Both covers are 100% placeholders.. every publisher does this. 
#29 Posted by Spoonman671 (4374 posts) -
@warxsnake: I hope they make it through.  I rather like these covers.
#30 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Demoskinos said:

Solution? Get it on steam. NO FUCKING LOOKING AT BOX ART! PROBLEMZ SOLVED!

To this day I don't understand how your gaming experience can be complete when you're not swimming in the stickers and posters and manuals of the game you're playing. A game being nothing more than an Install button is just... cold. 
I almost inserted the Alan Wake postcards I got in my underwear while sleeping that night.
#31 Posted by Soapy86 (2597 posts) -
I was going to make something similar, but this one was already in that GAF thread, so here you go.
#32 Edited by Masha2932 (1237 posts) -

I prefer the previous promotional shots as the box art but I can live with this one. Hopefully they have a different cover for the collector's edition.

#33 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4866 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish: wow, the US version looks terrible. The villians face is MUCH more realistic in the euro version.

#34 Posted by Enigma777 (6047 posts) -

@Soapy86 said:

I was going to make something similar, but this one was already in that GAF thread, so here you go.

Winner.

#35 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1722 posts) -
@warxsnake: Would they really bother making region-specific covers if it was a placeholder? 
#36 Posted by benspyda (1898 posts) -

All photoshop threads will always be hilarious. God bless photoshop.

#37 Posted by Demoskinos (13869 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: That stuff almost doesn't matter anymore. Hardly anyone prints manuals worth a crap anymore. Some not at all and when I'm just buying a disc in a case I'd rather have just a digital file when I'm going to install it on my 360 or PC anyways. Especially on my PC theres no reason for physical things since I have a 1TB HDD.

#38 Posted by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

@Soapy86 said:

Well, looks like they found the best possibility awfully fast.

#39 Posted by warxsnake (2626 posts) -
@warxsnake: Would they really bother making region-specific covers if it was a placeholder? 
They are different stages of creation, one version got one state, one got another. Really people put way too much thought into this shit. US version got an older placeholder as the version was submitted first, europe gets a revised placeholder. This is done all the time, everywhere. 

e.g. http://attackofthefanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/hitman-box-arts.jpg
#40 Edited by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1722 posts) -
@warxsnake: Ok, good to know!
#41 Posted by Bucketdeth (7981 posts) -

Is it me or does the PAL version always get the bad ass cover?

#42 Posted by Superfriend (1458 posts) -

Awww look, somebody at UbiSoft USA discovered the filters in Photoshop. Always heartwarming when it happens. Next up: Assassins Creed 3, all embossed up the ass!

#43 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

@Superfriend said:

Awww look, somebody at UbiSoft USA discovered the filters in Photoshop. Always heartwarming when it happens. Next up: Assassins Creed 3, all embossed up the ass!

The US cover looks like shit. Why did they blur things out? Let the image speak for itself

#44 Posted by Spoonman671 (4374 posts) -
@Yanngc33 said:

@Superfriend said:The US cover looks like shit. Why did they blur things out? Let the image speak for itself

I believe it is mimicking the distortion of a rifle scope for style.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.