Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

First Far Cry 3 reviews coming in

• 104 results
    Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Sooty said:

Far Cry 2 got good reviews so that means I can never trust Far Cry reviews.

I loved Far Cry 2

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By ozzdog12

@AlexW00d: WHAT!!? That is blasphemy.... Nah, thats good man. Let us know how it is. I want it to be good. I am hoping for more of a Far Cry 1 fell and less of a Far Cry 2 feel. Im ok with the open world aspect, but at least give the story some drive

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By DharmaBum

Glad that this is getting positive reviews. Far Cry 2 is one of my favorite shooters of all time, mainly because of the serene (yet hostile) Africa setting and lack of menus that interrupt the immersion. I hope this game doesn't go overboard with its HUD and XP pop-ups. Also curious to see how they handle the psychedelia aspects, if they can do it justice. Probably going to ignore multiplayer and co-op entirely, but good to see the map editor returning.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By wjb

I'm on board as long as 3 doesn't have dumb shit like 2 did. I stopped playing because I would clear out a guard checkpoint, and then minutes later as I'm driving back, there will be more guards spawned who know exactly where I am at all times.

Guns jamming was bullshit too -- enemies had no issue with them but the second I use one, it jams.

Far Cry 2 was one of those games where I felt like I didn't know how to play games correctly. So many people would claim it's one of the most important games ever, and I'll be like, "Uhh...lol, wut?"

pandorasbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55  Edited By pandorasbox

Oh good, another game I'm going to have to buy. *sarcastic sigh*

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Bell_End

@Sooty said:

FC2 was a great game, that was spoilt by a few annoyances. from all the reviews i've read all those annoyances have been fixed and address leaving a great game.

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By RedRavN

@Serpentenema said:

I heard that the systems were great, but the tone and the story were wonky as fuck. But I am all for having a fun time in video games and liked Far Cry 2.

Wait, where did hear the tone and the story was "wonky as fuck"? Every review I have read has been praising the story for being unique and a bit off the rails, with some of the best characters and performances this year. I think its great that they managed to put an actual interesting and somewhat unique story into an open world game. The acually menacing appearance of voss in the early trailers made me interested in this game and apparently he is not the only interesting character that you will end up meeting throughout the game.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By murisan

I want it so bad. Killing sharks with grenade launchers?

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Gizmo said:

I can put AI sharks into my custom maps? Huh.

Eurogamer 10/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-21-far-cry-3-review

So Fucking Sold, I spent a bit of time in the Far Cry 2 editor hope it has raise elevation of water again, I used to create crazy flooded maps to be able to mix this with sharks sounds great. Hope they create some custom maps for the inevitable TNT.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By mesklinite

I can't wait for you guys to get your hands on it :) I can't wait to play myself!

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Serpentenema said:

I heard that the systems were great, but the tone and the story were wonky as fuck. But I am all for having a fun time in video games and liked Far Cry 2.

Story comes after gameplay and things to do, I saw a scence where the character takes mushrooms and you walk though the world tripping balls seeing all kind of visuals. Looked pretty awesome.

Could see this being the surprise GOTY.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By murisan

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Serpentenema said:

Story comes after gameplay and things to do, I saw a scence where the character takes mushrooms and you walk though the world tripping balls seeing all kind of visuals. Looked pretty awesome.

After watching Rev3's review and seeing that you can loose wild animals in badguys' camps.. I am too excited. Also, the editor looks amazing considering all the animals and AI things you can do.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63  Edited By Ramone

Well I guess that sorts out one of the things I'll get for Christmas.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@murisan said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Serpentenema said:

After watching Rev3's review and seeing that you can loose wild animals in badguys' camps.. I am too excited. Also, the editor looks amazing considering all the animals and AI things you can do.

Yep said I wasn't going to buy a new GFX card but dammit this game looks sweet.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Gizmo

Maps with AI and/or vehicles cannot be published or played with other people.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#66  Edited By EVO

10/10 from Eurogamer is no joke. Game must be amazing.

Bob_Loblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Bob_Loblaw

Arthur Gies has a good review up on Polygon http://www.polygon.com/game/far-cry-3/2723 He gave it a 9. i've never been that interested in Far Cry but i'm considering getting this instead of Assassin's creed 3 as it really sounds like it will scratch that same itch and the American civil war setting and middling reviews have made me think twice about AC3.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#68  Edited By Timing

I really liked Far Cry (Instincts) and Far Cry 2 and I've been hyped for this game since E3 last year when it was revealed, and now it's looking to be even better than I'd hoped.

I'll definitely get this next week. Can't wait to play it.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#69  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@MildMolasses said:

Not to be a sayer of nay, but let's think about the reviews given for Far Cry 2. Now let's consider the way a lot of people turned on that game and view it as a tedious mess.

Too late, people are already

@BonOrbitz said:

Preordering tonight.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#70  Edited By jakob187

I'm definitely going to play it. Far Cry 2 was a slow burn for me, but it eventually turned into one of my favorite games (so much so that I own the 360 version, GOG version, and even went to half.com to pick up the 360 Fortune's Edition on the cheaps).

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By BonOrbitz

@AhmadMetallic said:

@MildMolasses said:

Not to be a sayer of nay, but let's think about the reviews given for Far Cry 2. Now let's consider the way a lot of people turned on that game and view it as a tedious mess.

Too late, people are already

@BonOrbitz said:

Preordering tonight.

Considering I love sandbox FPS' but don't play enough of them, I'm really looking forward to this game. I caught IGN's hour and a half long "Quick Look" the day the review came out, enjoyed what I saw, then pre-ordered. It seems like a lot of people consider Dead Island to be shit, but I love that game. I think it's the exploration and freedom of games like these. Mix that with visceral action and they overshadow any "tedious messes" for me.

mostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By mostman

Questions for those familiar with the series. First - is it ok to skip right to this one? Second - which platform? I usually go PC if it has significant performance improvement over the console version. If its "basically the same" - I'll just get the 360 one.

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By RedRavN

@mostman: Well its a wierd series because all the games are significantly different from one another. Farcry 1 plays more like crysis where you have linear objectives and story but some nice open levels where you can approach how you wish. Farcry 1 was made by crytek and was their first game and is a PC exclusive. The game includes heavy sci-fi elements including enemy mutants and the story is on the campy side. However, farcry 1 is a landmark game and well worth your time IMO. As someone who played the game at launch it is easily as important as half-life 2 and doom 3 in terms of breaking new ground in the fps market.

Farcry 2 is a very different game but still awesome in its own right. I would say the PC version is clearly superior and still looks amazing and plays better than the console version. The base game is essentially exactly the same but the PC has quicksave and much better visuals. From what I have heard, the PC version of farcry 3 has had a lot of extra work done to make it awesome looking as well.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Giefcookie

Really looking forward to it now. Wonder how many of the GB guys will have time to play it in time for GOTY even if it turns out to be great.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#75  Edited By Kidavenger

@BeachThunder: Uplay is not bad, I do like the way they dole out rewards based on their achievement system, it's no Steam, but I have no complaints.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By stryker1121

I'll be getting this for sure. Far Cry 2 took awhile to get its hooks in me, but it's one of my favorite shooters of this gen despite some stupendously dumb design choices. I hope Far Cry 3 has the same kind of feeling of tension that FC2's world conveyed so well (no respawning checkpoints this time, either! Yay!)

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Giefcookie said:

Really looking forward to it now. Wonder how many of the GB guys will have time to play it in time for GOTY even if it turns out to be great.

Hard to take GOTY at GB seriously as only half of them played RDR before the voting

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By murisan

As a dirty American, is there some way I can buy this on the English release date?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Spoonman671

Hey guys, I'm pretty pumped for Far Cry 3.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Sinusoidal

@CaLe: I was under the impression it was one of the few being released in the UK first? At least according to the 2-hours of gameplay livestream that Vinny posted.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By jerseyscum

@Bell_End said:

@Sooty said:

FC2 was a great game, that was spoilt by a few annoyances. from all the reviews i've read all those annoyances have been fixed and address leaving a great game.

They were more than a few annoyances. The lack of a fast travel system, the awful malaria mechanic and the frustrating degrading weapons completely killed the game for me. I really wanted to like Far Cry 2, but it just turned into a mess because of a few fatal flaws.

Forcing the player to do boring and mind numbing convoy ambushes just to get access to a gun that fucking worked is when I completely started hating Far Cry 2. Setting the game in a hellish African civil war is not a direction most developers take and I give them serious credit for doing so. It's too bad that the game just wasn't fun to play.

The fire mechanics in Far Cry 2 are very cool. Best part of the game as far as I'm concerned. Glad to see they kept it.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Giefcookie

At the moment there is a 30% off pre-order offer on GMG If people are interested.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By ProfessorEss

@jerseyscum said:

They were more than a few annoyances. The lack of a fast travel system, the awful malaria mechanic and the frustrating degrading weapons completely killed the game for me. I really wanted to like Far Cry 2, but it just turned into a mess because of a few fatal flaws.

Far Cry 2 is such a weird game. It's so crazy that everything people consider to be its fatal flaws (lack of fast travel, malaria, degrading weapons, quick respawns) are the things that made me love it so much.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#84  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

@Giefcookie said:

At the moment there is a 30% off pre-order offer on GMG If people are interested.

Yeah, they don't have Farcry 3, but it's a good deal on titles they do have.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#85  Edited By musubi

I care not how good reviews this got. I won't be fooled again. Far cry 2 was awful and I can't see this being better.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By ozzdog12

So I've been reading a lot of reviews and I have been rooting for this game to be good and the last thing I need is to buy another game(Darksiders 2, Dishonored, Assassins Creed 3, Assassins Creed 3: Liberation, Halo 4, and Hitman: Absolution) all since August, I've ran out of time to actually put time towards them. And the last thing I need is another open world game/FPS with multiplayer, but Dammit this game just seems to keep getting better and better and I am thinking about picking it up. Its on the top of my gamefly, but still...

NO,MUST RESIST THE URGE TO BUY,WILL GAMEFLY!!

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Giefcookie

@Krakn3Dfx said:

@Giefcookie said:

Yeah, they don't have Farcry 3, but it's a good deal on titles they do have.

Dunno if its a regional thing but I can see it listed http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/fi/en/pc/games/shooter/far-cry-3/

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Spoonman671
    @ProfessorEss said:

@jerseyscum said:

Far Cry 2 is such a weird game. It's so crazy that everything people consider to be its fatal flaws (lack of fast travel, malaria, degrading weapons, quick respawns) are the things that made me love it so much.

My thoughts exactly.  All these factors working against you really intensified the idea of makeshift combat.  Being forced to pick up a rusty old AK after you run out of shotgun shells, then ditching it because it jams before you can get two kills with it, forcing you to rush in for a machete kill before retreating, making sure to toss a molotov behind you to cut off any pursuers--it's what Far Cry is all about.  Forced improvisation is what all these mechanics are aimed at achieving, and the only game I can think of that does it as well as Far Cry 2 is Stalker: Call of Pripyat.  Your carefully laid plans are meant to be squashed by the unexpected.

Of course, those outpost respawns are bullshit.
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Aetheldod

So wait .... are you forced to play this through another gaming service besides steam? Why developers keep pushing that dumb shit?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By ProfessorEss

@Spoonman671: Off -topic for a second, but if I were to dive into the world of STALKER, would you recommend I go with Call of Pripyat?

Is it the mix of Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 that I assume it is?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Spoonman671
    @ProfessorEss said:

@Spoonman671: Off -topic for a second, but if I were to dive into the world of STALKER, would you recommend I go with Call of Pripyat?

Is it the mix of Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 that I assume it is?

The Fallout 3/Far Cry 2 comparison is a fair one, I think.  I would definitely recommend Call of Pripyat over the other Stalker games.  Some people swear by Shadow of Chernobyl, but I think that's mostly a rose-tinted glasses kind of thing.  If you can deal with games that are very obtuse in the way only PC games can be, and don't mind pinpoint-accurate, hyper-reactive enemies, then you can probably get a lot of enjoyment out of that game.  You'll want to get the Stalker Complete 2009 (I think that's the official name) mod for it though.  I just find Call of Pripyat much more user-friendly and modern feeling.
    mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By mesklinite

@Aetheldod said:

So wait .... are you forced to play this through another gaming service besides steam? Why developers keep pushing that dumb shit?

You can buy it on steam!

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By SharkEthic

@ProfessorEss said:

@jerseyscum said:

Only thing I'd remove form 2 is the amount of bullets enemies could take before going down. Other than that, Far Cry 2 is one of my all time favorites FPSs.

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By upwarDBound

Pretty good reviews so far that's good to see. I liked Far Cry 2 a lot anyway so this game would have to do something truly bad for me to not want to play it.

I only hope people research the game before they see the score and think they have to play it only to later hate it and lambast the game for getting undeserved praise. The backlash against Far Cry 2 is absurd if you ask me.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#95  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I loved the first game. Quit on the second one. Really excited for the third.

space_sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By space_sandwich

I was what feels like one of the only defenders of the awesomeness that was Far Cry 2, so FC3 has been on my mind for months and months. Despite that weird E3 showing, I'm really interested to see how the final island came out. Something about using animals and dynamic fire on bandits always gets me giddy.

This game also has me interested in its cinematic first person perspective techniques. They heavily relied on locking the action in first person in FC2 -- e.g. getting into jeeps, healing yourself, etc. -- and with Halo 4 doing the same sort of thing, I'm really interested to see how this compares.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By mordukai

@xMrSunshine said:

Here you go you lazy bastards. If that's not enough then just take everyone else's word for it.

PC: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/far-cry-3/critic-reviews

PS3: http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/far-cry-3/critic-reviews

360: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/far-cry-3/critic-reviews

I've only actually read the RPS review but it made the game seem really good. I might have to get this day 1. Good thing there something going on later on in the year, I was going to be all bummed out since Borderlands 2 was about the last thing I was particularly excited for.

Really fucking amazing that console versions of a far cry game will rate more then the PC.

yesac2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By yesac2004

@Gizmo said:

@billyhoush said:

I'm preordering this for PS3. Gotta support the motherland even though I was disappointed by AC3. Plus, I haven't punched a tiger in the face since Yakuza 2.

Trying to work out your ethnicity... Iranian/French/Turkish?

Canadian

xMrSunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By xMrSunshine

@mordukai: There's more PC reviews that there are reviews for both consoles together (26 for PC, 10 for 360 and 15 for PS3) so it's pretty likely that the PC score is lower. The average console score is about 89.76 which isn't that far off from the PC score. What amazes me is that there are so many PC reviews. I'm guessing most of them weren't even played on a PC but they're just tagged as such like the IGN review that has none of the features of a PC review (in-game settings and performance, port quality etc.) and it's the same review every time if you get to it from PC, 360 or PS3 pages.

I really hope that at some point review sites would implement a tag system or something that you could check to see what platform the reviewer played the game on like Giant Bomb does. It's all fine and good to have all the three versions to link to the same review but then there should be a mention about what it was played on when reviewed since different versions of the game can have such huge difference in quality.

Still really excited for this game!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#100  Edited By mike

Seems like a great game to wait for a Steam sale for....I'm setting the over/under at 73 days. Takers?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.