First Multiplayer footage

#1 Posted by JacDG (2121 posts) -

So Vg247 just released some pre-alpha footage of Far Cry 3, and holy cow does this game look and sound cool as hell in action. The multiplayer looks like more of the same, with XP streaks, capture and hold gamemode and all of the standard stuff, but I still love that formula so to me it looks really exciting, I especially love what they've done to the killcams haven't seen that stuff before. I know the story is what I look mostly forward to, but besides Bioshock, this is the only game I look forward to all the rest of 2012, so having some long lasting fun with it. Honestly, the game basically just looks gorgeous, and I can't wait to play it!

#2 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

It looks more like some DLC for Modern Warfare 3 than a standalone game. Kind of like BFBC2 Vietnam but for CoD.

#3 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

looks like a likes a less exciting COD.

#4 Edited by Packie (255 posts) -

Bad Company 2 crossed with COD is what I immediately thought after the video. Decent but more interested in the single-player.

Also, does the fire effects look off to someone? I remember Far Cry 2 having much better fire effects.

#5 Edited by JacDG (2121 posts) -

@Packie said:

Also, does the fire effects look off to someone? I remember Far Cry 2 having much better fire effects.

Yep, loved the fire stuff in Far Cry 2, it was very cool in multiplayer as well, played a bunch of it in that , weird that they apparently toned that stuff back since it was a very central mechanic. The again, this is pre-alpha.

#6 Posted by SuperSambo (2860 posts) -

"I'm reloading!"

#7 Posted by Jaytow (694 posts) -

Great, another first person shooter with a red dot scope. WHEN WILL GAMES MOVE ON!!?? Please give me something new!!! I can't take this crap anymore.

#8 Posted by Vitor (2815 posts) -

Looks generic as hell. Way more interested in the singleplayer, especially if it's being done by the same team that did the second game...

#9 Posted by BleedingStarX (279 posts) -

Wow the guys voice is annoying in that video

#10 Posted by DeF (4863 posts) -

@Packie said:

notice how it says pre-alpha build in big letters up in the top left corner.

#11 Posted by pweidman (2326 posts) -

No one's going to take my fishmarket!!! Battle Cry!!

#12 Posted by mikeeegeee (1554 posts) -

fucking call of duty.

#13 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

So I assume it's a given that custom maps are stripped from both the console and the PC version of the game?

#14 Posted by UnrealDP (1222 posts) -

Looks like nothing too new, but there's still a few cool additions here and there. Still looking forward to it! Get hype!

#15 Posted by Crixaliz (782 posts) -

Does this game run on Cryengine 3?

#16 Posted by Marz (5649 posts) -

yeah kind of looks like a variation of a call of duty game.  Wasn't planning on playing FC3 for the multiplayer though so it's cool, i like the kill cam.

#17 Posted by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -

ehhh it's whatever. the killcam's kinda neat but honestly i'm much more excited for the single player.

#18 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

i feel very sleepy all of a sudden

#19 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

@Crixaliz said:

Does this game run on Cryengine 3?

Nope.

#20 Posted by Spoonman671 (4604 posts) -

I was hoping this game would forgo competitive multiplayer entirely.  Far Cry 2's map editor would have been excellent for creating 4-6 player cooperative scenarios to play through.  I wish that potential could have been realized in Far Cry 3, but I guess not.

#21 Posted by Driadon (2997 posts) -

Oof, can't wait for them to go back over the UI. It's a bit too heavy at the moment.

That said, still pretty pumped!

#22 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Looks like Call of Duty or Battlefield. I like those games, but this will probably end up being really lame like its predecessor.

Still hoping it turns out good though :(

#23 Posted by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -

Does anyone play Far Cry online? I personally love the single player stuff.... and thats it.

#24 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -

Goddammit. Why? WHY?! WHYYYYY?!

I loved the multiplayer in Far Cry 2. It didn't always FEEL complete, but the overall pacing was something unlike most multiplayer shooters I've played. The openness of the maps was cool. The level of detail - how you could set grass on fire and weed people out or how you could blow up a little shanty that people were hiding in - gave it this unique feeling. Moreover, the map editor was fucking AWESOME!

Now it's just a goddamn COD clone. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!

#25 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1328 posts) -

Looks, kind of generic, but tbh I will probably play it more than black ops 2

#26 Posted by Masha2932 (1241 posts) -

I hope they have some co-op gameplay, my interest for competitive multiplayer seems to wane every year.

#27 Edited by JacDG (2121 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

Goddammit. Why? WHY?! WHYYYYY?!

I loved the multiplayer in Far Cry 2. It didn't always FEEL complete, but the overall pacing was something unlike most multiplayer shooters I've played. The openness of the maps was cool. The level of detail - how you could set grass on fire and weed people out or how you could blow up a little shanty that people were hiding in - gave it this unique feeling. Moreover, the map editor was fucking AWESOME!

Now it's just a goddamn COD clone. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!

I read a preview somewhere which stated that both console and PC will have a map editor.

#28 Posted by Daiphyer (1334 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

I was hoping this game would forgo competitive multiplayer entirely. Far Cry 2's map editor would have been excellent for creating 4-6 player cooperative scenarios to play through. I wish that potential could have been realized in Far Cry 3, but I guess not.

I still haven't played Far Cry 2, but is the map editor only for multiplayer? No co-operative vs AI anything?

#29 Posted by MacEG (253 posts) -

2:28: "Joke's on them though."

#30 Posted by yoshisaur (2708 posts) -

Looks okay, yet again another Multi-player add-on tacked on to appeal to the 'competitive' scene.

#31 Posted by AssInAss (2621 posts) -

Map editor confirmed.

I'm glad they brought the hallucination and fire stuff, and the battle cry is a cool buff. The level design looks vertical, which I love, it'd be awesome if you were zip-lining and got a DFA kill.

Killcam is the coolest thing though, getting to see the bullet trajectories to see how many bullets and where on the body you got killed by.

#32 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

I hope you like circles.

#33 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

That looks shit. I get the feeling this game will be immensely disappointing.

#34 Posted by Andorski (5287 posts) -

KONY 2012: The Video Game.

#35 Posted by Village_Guy (2546 posts) -

Looks interesting - a little disappointed they only showed the Domination mode, I would have liked to see the Firestorm mode in action.

#36 Posted by zaglis (909 posts) -

I see that the advanced death killcam from Counter-Strike is coming to FC3.

#37 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

This looks like it could be fun, but I'm obviously going to come to this game for the singleplayer.

#38 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Generic ass fuck... Fucking CoD..

#39 Posted by ShaggE (6429 posts) -

I like the feature at the end, but that's just BEGGING to have every match end in ragequits.

#40 Edited by Ares42 (2626 posts) -

That commentary....

Although I gotta say Fatalities in FPS is somewhat unique, but being this whole seperate post-game thing seems hammy. Think I prefer GeoW style executions. It's all a fairly obvious tack-on to combat re-sale though, which makes me sad inside.

#41 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

I wish developers would eventually realize that if you are going to include multiplayer in your first person shooter, you need to do your best to differentiate it from Call of Duty or Battlefield.

#42 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

Man that reminds me so much of Call of Duty. It may as well just be a different texture pack. It's not that it doesn't look like it's done well, but it's been done before far too many times.

#43 Edited by TheRamboFetus (51 posts) -

I guess shooting guns in multiplayer equals COD now. It just seems a lot people of is getting their panties in a bunch over nothing. Also I think this multiplayer looks SaWEEEEEEEEeet!

#44 Posted by misfeasor (27 posts) -

Although I'm still looking forward to trying it, I agree with others that it looks very similar to what is already available in terms of FPS multiplayer. I guess that's not too surprising, but I was hoping for something significantly different.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.