Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

Games similar to liberating outposts in Far Cry 3?

DarthPapaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am replaying through Far Cry 3 on difficult & I am really enjoying liberating the outposts. I haven't liked many stealth games in the past, but I'm thinking of revisiting the genre.

I usually try to stay hidden as long as possible, & it is super satisfying to complete a liberation without being detected, but I like that it is still possible to succeed, even if you get caught. Anybody remember a game, or know of a newer game that sounds similar? Thanks!

Josh

P.S. I can't resist attempting to stir the pot.... Far Cry 3 might be the best open world game ever..... enjoy....

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Most Ubisoft games revolve around this formula. Watch_Dogs has a similar thing with gang hideouts. I haven't played the assassins Creed games but I hear they're similar.

Also, indeed Far Cry 3 might be the best open world game ever.

rahulricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@somberowl is right, those games do have a similar formula but none are quite as good as in FC3. Maybe try Just Cause 2? I remember having a blast zipping into an army base and clearing it out. I never tried to be stealthy about it, but it's probably possible.

terach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Arkham games are pretty good. You don't really liberate outposts but you do take on groups of baddies in set areas. I remember there being a lot of stealth options and the combat is great if you ever get mess up or get tired of sneaking around.

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rahulricky: no. No it is not possible

But anyone who hasn't played just cause 2 is missing out on some pure high grade concentrated super fun... Just inject the 3rd one into my veins!

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Rowr

The original Mercenaries with the bounties to catch the deck of card terrorists was probably one of the best open world side activities I ever enjoyed. That game was so goddam good. I seriously doubt it holds up though.

As far as far cry 3 being the best open world game ever...you guys are on crack. I found it got repetitive super fast.

Edit - Also I would say Skyrim comes pretty close as far as the stealth raid stuff depending on how you want to play it. Probably also Deus EX maybe.

Synaptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rowr said:

The original Mercenaries with the bounties to catch the deck of card terrorists was probably one of the best open world side activities I ever enjoyed. That game was so goddam good. I seriously doubt it holds up though.

As far as far cry 3 being the best open world game ever...you guys are on crack. I found it got repetitive super fast.

It's more about the freedom of combat choices. Every choice is valid and the game encouraged experimentation. The enemies don't get much more difficult but you get more powerful.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every Ubisoft game ever.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cloudnineboya

freedom fighters. its a hole game made of that concept .

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You might want to try out Metro: Last Light, or Metro 2033 Redux. I'm currently playing through them on PS4 and the stealth sections are a lot of fun. They are definitely different from Far Cry 3 though. These are almost all interior environments and light/dark-play. Not as forgiving as Far Cry 3.

And in a similar vein, the Stalker games can give you some satisfying stealth moments. I'm partial to Call of Pripyat.

Nach0Sanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Faction Guerrilla for the base assault format, or Dishonored on hard for stealth similarities. Dishonored, especially if you play non lethal, is a fun challenge. It is more linear obviously but in terms of clearing an area it is similar. The second dlc's open format levels play into it well.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@spoonman671: Good recommendation with the Metro games. The stealth is done so well in Last Light, and now with Redux, Metro 2033 has better stealth.

Just thought of Dues Ex: Human Revolution as well as a great stealth game.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@synaptic said:

@rowr said:

It's more about the freedom of combat choices. Every choice is valid and the game encouraged experimentation. The enemies don't get much more difficult but you get more powerful.

Sure, it hardly stood out to me at the time as doing it that much better than many other titles in the past. It is probably one of the few big budget titles to have that sort of gameplay in a while though I guess and the fort takeovers were definitely probably one of the best things in the game. I'm hoping Farcry 4 can expand on it.

As mentioned above the stalker games and subsequently metro are really good if not some of the best of all time for this sort of gameplay also. I lean towards stalker a bit more as metro is very linear.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

Every Ubisoft open world game fits your description. Assassin's Creed I believe started having the base liberating mechanic with Brotherhood. Watch Dogs had it earlier this year. I'm sure The Division, Assassin's Creed Unity/Rogue and Far Cry 4 will have similar mechanics as well. The only non-Ubisoft game I can think of would be the Prototype series. The stealth isn't as open ended there. You really have only a couple of options but you can stealthily take over bases.

As far as other similar games go, I would say Dishonored has the stealth part but no base taking. The Infamous games sort let you take control of bases but there is no stealth. The most recent Splinter Cell is mainly focused on stealth but you can complete missions guns blazing if you want. And the STALKER series has a focus on open world stealth as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.