Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

Giantbomb is kind of bumming me out with this game

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pyrodactyl

I know guys, FarCry 3 and many others are way better on PC, the framerate is smooth, the resolution is high and the textures are tessellated out the wazoo, but man, can you please tone down the discuss when you demo the console versions? Hearing people half puking in their mouths while demoing the only version I can buy isn't really encouraging me to pick it up. Even if you say it's a great game all I hear is ``look at this frame rate... urgh`` or ``these textures... man, so glad I picked up the PC version``.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

what do you want them to say, exactly? it's not like what they're saying is inaccurate.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

If it really bums you out, then, um, maybe it's time to invest in a gaming PC?

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Kerned

As the film said in the 90s, reality bites.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

If there are superior versions of a game out there, it'd be kind of weird to not compare the inferior ones to the best versions. It's like the complaints they've had with the inferior Wii U ports.

These things can't be taken in a vacuum.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By casper_

i'm sure you'll be alright

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jsnyder82

After watching the Quick Look, hot damn am I glad I have a good gaming PC. It looks like sweaty ass on consoles. Which wouldn't be terrible as long as it ran smoothly, but it seems choppy as hell, too.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ViciousReiven

If it makes you feel better I have a pretty good graphics card and it runs like shit, seriously thinking about just picking up the 360 version.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By envane

@FluxWaveZ: i agree but its not liek theyve been avoiding the much better pc version of some multi platform titles for a while now , the only recognition we get is "this apparently looks and runs much better on pc" , granted its easier to do quicklooks and live streams with console games. But yeah , its the end of the current console cycle , while pc is still stron , it makes no sense not to ql the pc version for most upcoming multiplatform titles.

Sidoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sidoran

I don't think he minds that they compare the two, just that they don't need to act as if their eyes are melting in their sockets. It's not THAT bad.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Leptok

I'm surprised they don't call out bad frame more. Bad frame rate means someone did a bad job on the game. After what like 5-7 years it's no surprise what the hardware is. That is discounting things like open world games where the player can cause crazy shit, but if a game chugs for no reason other than poor design it should be called on it.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bigsmoke77

@pyrodactyl: I don't remember them every saying that the textures were bad on the console, can you give a timestamp for them saying that in the quicklook. If they said it defiantly wasn't more than once or twice. If the frame rate drops when they are playing a game they are going to point it out by saying "Man this framerate is bad", doesn't matter if its a PC a xbox, a Sega Saturn they are going to say it. The game is not unplayable on fry cry 3 but its not perfect, so don't fucking worry about it.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By coakroach

@pyrodactyl said:

Hearing people half puking in their mouths while demoing the only version I can buy isn't really encouraging me to pick it up.

They stopped you from putting down money on a product that will disappoint you.

I'm pretty sure that's mission accomplished.

Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Iron_Tool

@BeachThunder said:

This ^

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By landon

I can see where you're coming from. Far Cry 3 looks fine on the consoles. The thing is, just don't let that stuff get to you. Or buy a PC and become one of them. Either or.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dungbootle

You're taking it too seriously, they were just pointing it out for the audience, not saying the game was absolute poop

It certainly didn't deter me from being interested in getting it for console (which is the only viable option for my setup)

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

If you've only been playing games on the 360 for the last 2-3 years, then you've probably dealt with the same issues FC3 has on the system several times before. Newer games have been pushing the hardware in the 360 and PS3 a little too far in some situations for awhile, it's still going to be a perfectly playable game.

Plus Jeff and the team tend to be overly sensitive to stuff like this. They said the same thing about Assassin's Creed 3 on the 360, I played it there, and it was fine. I played it on the PC, too, and yeah, it was smoother in some areas and better looking, but no more or less playable than the 360 version.

At the end of the day, you'll have just as much fun playing this on the 360 as people playing it on the PC. Don't sweat it.

Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Iron_Tool

@pyrodactyl said:

I know guys, FarCry 3 and many others are way better on PC, the framerate is smooth, the resolution is high and the textures are tessellated out the wazoo, but man, can you please tone down the discuss when you demo the console versions?

Funny thing is that we wouldn't hear a beep from you if it was the other way around.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SeanFoster

Now you know how it felt to be a PC gamer 5 years ago.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Andorski
    No Caption Provided
    byterunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By byterunner

The game isn't in a vacuum, what do you expect them to say, etc etc, blah blah.

I do find post that are saying to just go and buy a gaming pc a bit insensitive/not even bothering to read the entire post, the guy said he can't get a PC. For whatever reason, so lay off the casual, just go and get a PC. Remember, while they are not SUPER expensive like they used to be, $800 dollars is still a lot of money for about 99% of the population.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kerned

Dude, I just picked up the GameCube version and it looks like shit.

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Seesic

It's understandable that it annoys you but I would just try to shrug it off. I'm almost exclusively a console gamer and I plan on getting far cry, it may not look as good as PC but if I wanted that to always be the case I'd spend money keeping a PC up to date.

But thats not for me, just look forward to even smoother and prettier games when new consoles are out.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@Kerned said:

Must be a problem with your GC, mine looks fine.

blueinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By blueinferno

Not all of us have $1200 to invest on a gaming PC. PC versions are unarguably better looking and run smoother, but I don't want to be made like I'm an idiot for only owning consoles, which work perfectly fine for me. Any]one who says games look like shit on PS3 and 360 right now are taking it a bit too far, they may not look as good as the PC versions of games but they certainly don't look like shit.

blueinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By blueinferno

@Robot_Sneakers said:

It's understandable that it annoys you but I would just try to shrug it off. I'm almost exclusively a console gamer and I plan on getting far cry, it may not look as good as PC but if I wanted that to always be the case I'd spend money keeping a PC up to date.

But thats not for me, just look forward to even smoother and prettier games when new consoles are out.

This.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27  Edited By impartialgecko

@BeachThunder said:

That's an investment that a lot of people can't afford to make, so I get the OP's point that console owners would appreciate it if the console versions were evaluated on their own merits.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Yes, they should tell us that the frame rate on the console isn't very stable. The comparison to the PC version is valid and is something they should do when they have the games side by side like that. But they don't have to act like they are seeing their parents 69ing every time the frame rate drops below 30, or jack off to 60fps while saying the console versions aren't "the real version". I dislike a bad frame rate as much as the next guy, but I also dislike when grown men (mostly Brad, some Jeff) FUCKING MOAN about frame rate in a video game. And why didn't they show any multiplayer or coop? Is any of that stuff any good?

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By DeathByWaffle

I do feel like they exaggerate the frame rate dips, but it is just something you have to deal with. Just enjoy whatever version you have, you don't need Jeff's or Brad's blessing or validation to enjoy a game.

blueinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By blueinferno

@jsnyder82 said:

After watching the Quick Look, hot damn am I glad I have a good gaming PC. It looks like sweaty ass on consoles. Which wouldn't be terrible as long as it ran smoothly, but it seems choppy as hell, too.

Sweaty ass? That's a little ridiculous isn't it?

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By nohthink

@Animasta: He's not saying "be less accurate." He's saying "please tone it down a bit."

blueinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By blueinferno

@MAN_FLANNEL said:

Yes, they should tell us that the frame rate on the console isn't very stable. The comparison to the PC version is valid and is something they should do when they have the games side by side like that. But they don't have to act like they are seeing their parents 69ing every time the frame rate drops below 30, or jack off to 60fps while saying the console versions aren't "the real version". I dislike a bad frame rate as much as the next guy, but I also dislike when grown men (mostly Brad, some Jeff) FUCKING MOAN about frame rate in a video game. And why didn't they show any multiplayer or coop? Is any of that stuff any good?

I agree. It's perfectly valid to compare a PC version of a game to a console version and say it looks and runs better. But to bitch and moan like Brad [and Jeff to a certain extent] about frame rate dips is a little over the top.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Toxeia

Hey guys - Far Cry 3 looks bad on the consoles. You better start cutting your wrists now. Except that it being said that a game looks bad on a console doesn't make the game any less of a value to you if you're going to buy it on a console.

What you SHOULD be out raged about is that it's $10 cheaper on Steam/PC than it is for the consoles and it still looks better for us.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Kerned

@PeasantAbuse said:

@Kerned said:

Must be a problem with your GC, mine looks fine.

Damn, I must need more blocks.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By Justin258

@Sidoran said:

I don't think he minds that they compare the two, just that they don't need to act as if their eyes are melting in their sockets. It's not THAT bad.

As someone who's only owned a gaming PC for a few months?

It's THAT bad. And I beat Quake IV on 360, so my tolerance for shit framerates is - or was - high. The actual gameplay was playable, I will give it that - if I was still on a console then I could put up with it if it remained consistent. But, man, those cutscenes. Damn.

It's a huge negative point for the console versions of a game. I'm sorry, but when a game runs as badly as Assassin's Creed 3 and this both do on consoles, it's an issue that needs to be raised. If you don't mind it, then more power to you, but I definitely have a big problem with it. It's not "elitism" or "PC gaming master race" or any of that bullshit, it's just fact that the whole package is much worse-looking on consoles. They can't really pull this off, they're too long in the tooth.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sooty

@blueinferno said:

they may not look as good as the PC versions of games but they certainly don't look like shit.

When the framerate dips as much as it seems to on Far Cry 3 and other titles (Assassins Creed III) it deserves to be called out, it's getting too common. I'm so sick of having shitty framerates on console, it's annoying and detrimental to the gameplay experience if you can't maintain a steady framerate throughout your game. I don't mind if it dips at a few specific points but not every time you go to a main city or something.

I don't think Mass Effect on the 360 should have been allowed a release. It ran like shit. My game actually turned to a slideshow at a few points, GTA IV was a travesty too, especially on PS3 which is the version I foolishly bought.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Milkman

So you want them to not talk about the flaws of a console version because it makes you feel bad that you only have a console? No, that's absolutely ridiculous.

For the record, I don't have a gaming PC either and will be playing the 360 version.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NegativeCero

New consoles are around the corner if you don't want to go the PC route.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I don't have a problem with them mentioning that the PC version looks better and has a smoother frame rate, but I kinda agree that at times it's a little annoying how often they mention the reduced frame rate with an exaggerated tone of disgust. In some cases, the reaction is justified, such as with the Wii U release of Epic Mickey 2, but in most cases I feel like it isn't anywhere near as big a deal as they make it sound.

AC3 was when it first started getting to me a bit. It seemed like a major portion of every conversation about that game ended up being about how awful the frame rate was. I agree that the frame rate isn't all that great, but I don't feel like it was terrible enough to have a huge impact on enjoyment of that game, definitely not the extent where it should merit so much prominence in the conversation of the game.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Trilogy

No matter where you stand on the issue, you have to admit that the recent trend of games running like shit on the console version is unacceptable. I feel like were at a point where developers are trying to push the current hardware further than it's built to go. That, or its just end of the cycle laziness. Either way, new hardware can't get get here fast enough as far as I'm concerned.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mellotronrules

@pyrodactyl:

i really don't mean to sound insensitive- but if you're asking this bunch to tone it down, you're probably spending time at the wrong website. i'd rather them overemphasize their platform preference than feel like they have to be 'respectful' to each platform.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@Trilogy: I'm not sure if "end of cycle laziness" is actually a thing. They're trying to push these consoles as hard as they can go, and most developers seem fine with sacrificing frame rate for higher poly counts and better textures. Maybe it's a poor decision, but that's just the trend and nobody wants to put out a game that doesn't look as good or better in screenshots next to other games in the same genre.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By TheHT

I give this thread a B-

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DeShawn2ks

@pyrodactyl: You should do what I do and just not give a shit. Been console gaming my whole life and really only try to play a game or think about upgrading the pc when something I can't get anywhere else comes out. I'm not a wanna be game journalist so a frame rate hiccup or textures don't stand out to me to much. They have to be real bad for me to even notice and the last game I remembered doing that to me is Skyrim on 360. Yeah it can get annoying when every video or podcast says how the game is so much better on the pc but it is like no shit. The news would be if a game ran like shit on pc and not on consoles. So don't worry about it and get a good gaming pc when Simcity comes out so the crooks in my town can rob your banks.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jsnyder82

@blueinferno said:

@jsnyder82 said:

Sweaty ass? That's a little ridiculous isn't it?

Normally it would be. But not for this game.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By Marz

so you want them to lie about it?

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By RockyRaccoon37

@MAN_FLANNEL said:

If the frame rate isn't a concern for you then what do you care if Brad complains about it?

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By laserbolts

I don't give a fuck how good a shark looks as long as I'm punching it. Have fun dude.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#49  Edited By Draugen

@TheHumanDove said:

I'm so glad Im pc master race...oh, sorry brah. Didnt see you there...

I raise my champagne glass to you, sir. I say, I nearly dropped my monocle when I saw that xbox version.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By VisariLoyalist

@SeanFoster said:

Now you know how it felt to be a PC gamer 5 years ago.

and how it will feel again in about 2 years when the ps4 or whatever is out. At least if all past trends hold.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.