Going on sale?

#1 Posted by McGriddle550 (285 posts) -

So my question is do you guys think this game will be going on sale anytime soon on pc or should i just jump on it now? The reason (outside of me despretley wanting to play it) for my question is I only have a few more days of break and I would really love to dig into Far Cry 3. So I really want to get ASAP and if their isn't a ginormous chance of it being cheap in the next few days I am willing to pay $50. This can be on sale from anywhere not just steam.

#2 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@McGriddle550: I doubt it, but its worth the price.

#3 Posted by gold_n_eye (82 posts) -

It was on sale for $39.99 on boxing day for the console versions, not too sure about the PC version?

#4 Posted by VoshiNova (1694 posts) -

Wait until the beautiful part happens

#5 Posted by jakob187 (21676 posts) -

I highly doubt it's going to go on sale unless it's in the last couple of days of the Steam sale. It hasn't gone on sale once over there, nor has it gone on sale at Amazon. Ubisoft is being pretty damn stiff about that game's price.

#6 Posted by AlexW00d (6283 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

I highly doubt it's going to go on sale unless it's in the last couple of days of the Steam sale. It hasn't gone on sale once over there, nor has it gone on sale at Amazon. Ubisoft is being pretty damn stiff about that game's price.

There's a steam sale, and Far Cry 3 is still 11th top seller (with 14% off btw) so I can see why they aren't putting it down more. But they might yet, who knows.

#7 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

No, I don't think there is going to be a sale for Far Cry 3. I was trying to hold out, but I went ahead and bought it, using the $20 Steam gift card that I got from my in-laws. I think the telling part is that it's not discounted even a little bit on Steam. If it were then I think it would have been much more likely to go on sale.

#9 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

@NuclearMusic said:

Far Cry 3 is now $37.49 on Steam. (oh snap!)

Yep! Link for the lazy.

#10 Posted by jakob187 (21676 posts) -

HOLY SHIT! IT WENT ON SALE!

I eat my previous words, gentlemen. That's a fucking shocker.

What's better though...is Mark of the Ninja went on sale for $7.49, so I finally own it! I also picked up the Doom 3 Pack (not the BFG Edition bullshit, but the REAL Doom 3) for $3.24! WOOT!

#11 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

Yeah, there's definitely egg on my face. And on my wallet. I'm so pissed I bought this game when it was still $50. I could've waited a couple of days and spent the rest on Mark of the Ninja, but nooooooo.....

#12 Posted by Willza92 (264 posts) -

Old Chinese proverb say number 1 rule of steam sale: Never buy anything that isn't in a flash deal or daily deal, unless it's the last day of the sale. Picked up the deluxe edition for £24.99, can't wait for it to install. 

#13 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

@Willza92: Yeah, but the problem with that is that you never know whether or not the particular game you want is ever going to go on sale at all. You could potentially hold out until the sale is over, never get the game you want, and then miss all the other deals in the meantime as well. I don't know why Steam doesn't just fucking tell us what's going to be on sale and when, like Amazon (who, not coincidentally, has been getting much more of my money lately than Steam).

#14 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

You can get it cheaper on eBay, people are selling the codes they get from video cards. Usually around 25-30 bucks.

#15 Posted by 1momosauky (209 posts) -

Did hitman or assasins creed ever go on sale? I have been checking pretty religiously and did not see it go.

#16 Edited by MentalDisruption (1639 posts) -

@1momosauky said:

Did hitman or assasins creed ever go on sale? I have been checking pretty religiously and did not see it go.

There was an assassins creed franchise daily already. Not sure about hitman.

#17 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Both went on Sale on Steam. Hitman was like 33% or 50% off. It was a franchise sale I believe.

#18 Posted by jakob187 (21676 posts) -

@Jrinswand: Indeed, Amazon and Green Man Gaming have been getting most of my money during this sale. They've just been killing it with their deals all around. Steam has been slacking hard.

Even then, there's a general rule of thumb when it comes to Steam Sale time: pay what you want to pay for it. Personally, I just say "I want to pay this much for this game". For instance, I don't want to pay more than $30 for Dishonored. As it stands, I missed when it was $29.99 because I didn't have the money. However, upon doing my research, Green Man Gaming has had it for $44.99 consistently through their sale, and they have a 30% off coupon that brings it down to $31.50. That is my price range, so I'm going to pick it up for that. Meanwhile, for Mark of the Ninja, I didn't want to pay more than $8.00 for it. It just went to $7.49, so I bought it.

If you bought Far Cry 3 for $50 and have enjoyed it and felt you got your $50 worth from it, then it's all good. Yes, the sting of paying more when you could paid less does suck (I paid $30 for Hitman: Absolution and it's on sale for $19.99 on Amazon today), but in the end, it's about getting your money's worth out of the game.

While all of this may sound sleazy on my part in some ways (waiting for games to go on sale rather than paying full price), my justification is simple: I play a LOT of different games, and some of them...I may not end up playing for very long stretches. I mean, I've got eight games that I'm trying to play right now (Far Cry 3, Hitman: Absolution, Dark Souls PTD Edition, FTL, Dungeons of Dredmor, Secret World, Syndicate, Mass Effect 1/2/3) amongst many other that I have sunken time into, but I've gotten sidetracked by all this other shit.

Therefore, I'm not going out of my way to pay full price unless it's something that I'm DYING to play...and there just isn't much lately that I am DYING to play for full price.

#19 Posted by Icemo (643 posts) -

@MentalDisruption said:

@1momosauky said:

There was an assassins creed franchise daily already. Not sure about hitman.

Hitman franchise was on flash sale earlier. Keep checking more often.

#20 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

Does Greenman Gaming ever stock Ubisoft games?

Steam sales is really tempting at the moment...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.