Jason Brody may be the most selfish character of 2012 (spoilers)

#1 Posted by WolfHazard (494 posts) -

Yes, even more selfish than my Shepard, who was a major cock. I mean I get it man, Citra is incredibly hot, and sure you can do basically anything you want on the island without anyone stopping you, but what the hell Jason. If you were just saying peace to your irritating friends (good call) that's fine, but THINK ABOUT YOUR DAMN MOM! You send Owen Wilson to deliver the news the terrible news to your mother that her two sons are dead, and the one that survived decided to stay on Pirate Island to run around in the trees and double team some tribal lady with Kanye West.

That kid could barely form a sentence, I can see it now. "Hey uh, Mrs. Brody, dude uhh Riley and Grant got smoked by the pirates and Jason is staying on the island. uhh sorry. You got any Cheetos?"

I know I wouldn't be able to make that call just because I ran around for a few days setting dudes on fire and saw some mediocre tits. But then again, I'm not Jason Brody. Also, was he dating Liza? I couldn't tell over the complete lack of chemistry and stone hearted goodbye.

I can't possibly be the only one caught off guard by his seemingly rushed goodbye. Think of your mom brah

#2 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4893 posts) -

@WolfHazard: It's implied but never stated for sure that the Brody Bros. mother is dead. I think their father might have died as well, but yeah.

#3 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

It was less about him being in love with Citra, and more him breaking away from his old life of luxury and finding a deeper meaning on the island. A meaning of warriorness.

#4 Posted by Rave (377 posts) -

The father is dead for sure, the mother is alive. I started off loving this game so much but the further I've gotten into it (just dealt with the vaas) the more I have hated the main character and actual game itself.

I'm a huge fan of farcry 2 this game is starting to feel so closed with tons of fail states and design decisions that it feels like a step backward now instead of a refinement.

Back onto the main character though, none of his motivations make sense to me at this point. I liked the idea of my character growing some kind of blood lust, or turning into a version of Vaas but it seems like they are dropping that at this point for a love story? My character has no chemistry with anyone it just makes no sense.

#5 Posted by WolfHazard (494 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon: He says to Oliver that he can't stay too because he needs to tell his (Jason's) mom what happened, which implies she is in fact alive. Which is what bugged me.

#6 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

@Rave said:

The father is dead for sure, the mother is alive. I started off loving this game so much but the further I've gotten into it (just dealt with the vaas) the more I have hated the main character and actual game itself. I'm a huge fan of farcry 2 this game is starting to feel so closed with tons of fail states and design decisions that it feels like a step backward now instead of a refinement. Back onto the main character though, none of his motivations make sense to me at this point. I liked the idea of my character growing some kind of blood lust, or turning into a version of Vaas but it seems like they are dropping that at this point for a love story? My character has no chemistry with anyone it just makes no sense.

I feel the same. I was ready to give FC3 my GOTY hands down, until I beat it. The major and stupid plot-twist and the main character ended up putting a sour taste in my mouth. I'm just not having fun playing a douchebag who, instead of growing into a kickass psychopath like Vaas, ends up being a total moron/dick. Whatever, seriously. The writer behind this game failed fucking hard. Especially after he delivered such cool characters. As for Kanye West and Citra, they both disgust me as characters. They're just bad.

#7 Posted by natetodamax (19220 posts) -

Jason is a very awkward character. He seems to arrive at the conclusion that he should stay on the island to be a warrior or whatever very quickly, despite expressing deep concerns for his friends throughout the game. It doesn't help that there's a significant contrast between his reactions to death at the beginning of the game ("Oh shit!" and "Fuck.....!" and "I can't do this!") and his ability to immediately start murdering everyone in his way with no remorse, seemingly because some guy gave him a tattoo and told him he was a warrior.

Although I haven't finished the game yet, I am on the second island and I hate the path the story is taking. It's pretty disappointing.

#8 Posted by VaasDaBaas (4 posts) -

Jason started as a scared kid who just escaped from a pirate camp and watched his brother die. He cared about his friends up until Kieth told him Riley was dead. Then the inner warrior (actually murderous insanity like vaas) took over and he wanted to avenge Grant and Riley's death. I don't blame him, The man who killed your brothers and kidnapped your friends, I would stay back and Hunt Vaas and Hoyt too. But when he made Liza cry I was like " you dick, just tell her your going to avenge them". So he turned selfish, but in a good, But psychotic, way.

#9 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@Voxel
Jason is a very awkward character. He seems to arrive at the conclusion that he should stay on the island to be a warrior or whatever very quickly, despite expressing deep concerns for his friends throughout the game. It doesn't help that there's a significant contrast between his reactions to death at the beginning of the game ("Oh shit!" and "Fuck.....!" and "I can't do this!") and his ability to immediately start murdering everyone in his way with no remorse, seemingly because some guy gave him a tattoo and told him he was a warrior.

Although I haven't finished the game yet, I am on the second island and I hate the path the story is taking. It's pretty disappointing.
I feel the same way. Characters are still strong but the turn towards a standard shooter story is depressing.
#10 Posted by living4theday258 (677 posts) -

if you dont like him turn off the voices and skip the cutscenes and run on sheer gameplay

#11 Posted by Karkarov (3291 posts) -

Uh he is a douche. But compared to some other characters in the story is hardly spoiled or a totally selfish ass jack. I think the winner for that in this game definitely either has to be Oliver or my personal vote, Citra.

#12 Edited by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4284 posts) -

I hate how he didnt turn into a complete psycopath.  I was having fun how the "progression of skill" of the game character reflected his mental progress but he never became the insane motherfucker that I wanted him to be.  Instead they: 

#13 Posted by OneManX (1693 posts) -

Yeah... a lot of it just comes from how badly they squandered Vaas.

He was the Joker to Brody's Batman, he was the guy he was gonna turn into if he didn't keep his morals in check, and I felt the game went away from that to tell a story that was never really there. Like Vass was the glue of this story and felt liek Citra just came out of nowhere, and kinda squandered that one as well. And it turned a guy who was a complety wuss into a douchebag dudebro no matter what he did in the end. I just never felt like I wanted to root for Jason.

#14 Posted by DizzyMedal (400 posts) -

@WolfHazard said:

Citra is incredibly hot

Really?

I mean, each to their own and all that, but she's got this terrible haircut and something about her eyes seems weird. And there were moments when her head seemed really badly proportioned to her shoulders... More likely it was her shoulders that were oddly sized and it just gave the impression her head was fricking huge, but still.

Also she's a bossy, condescending bitch, which is also fairly unattractive.

#15 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@TheHumanDove said:

It was less about him being in love with Citra, and more him breaking away from his old life of luxury and finding a deeper meaning on the island. A meaning of warriorness.

That's how I thought of the story, felt like more of a journey of self discovery.

#16 Posted by Jace (1094 posts) -

@WolfHazard: "...the one that survived decided to stay on Pirate Island to run around in the trees and double team some tribal lady with Kanye West."

Sounds like a smart fuckin guy to me.

#17 Posted by RawknRo11a (568 posts) -

Yea, Jason wasn't the most together dude out there. But remember, he had a wing-suit and a fucking flame-thrower.

#18 Posted by kerse (2118 posts) -

Yeah Jason was bad, it really bothered me every time he spoke.

#19 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Jace said:

@WolfHazard: "...the one that survived decided to stay on Pirate Island to run around in the trees and double team some tribal lady with Kanye West."

Sounds like a smart fuckin guy to me.

Well, until Tribal lady stabs Jason to death like a sucker.

#20 Edited by tourgen (4542 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

I hate how he didnt turn into a complete psycopath. I was having fun how the "progression of skill" of the game character reflected his mental progress but he never became the insane motherfucker that I wanted him to be. Instead they: Tried to give the player those two completely different stories. And even the choice where he embraces Citra or whatever feels like its "too" sudden. You go through all the trouble of saving your brother and then and you give him and your friends up for some island girl. The writers never gave the player time to transform into that kind of character. And although that choice is basically the choice where Jason goes crazy, it definitely doesnt feel "good enough". In fact, the mental progression was going great until Jason told his friends that hes staying. From that point, Jason's mental condition never progressed.

I agree. They didn't sell the turn towards the psychotic killer / revenge killer hard enough. The story was essentially Citra turning Jason into another Vaas. They just didn't write it well enough and didn't have a voice actor who could pull it off.

still think it's a better story than most of what came out this year

#21 Posted by WolfHazard (494 posts) -

@DizzyMedal said:

@WolfHazard said:

Citra is incredibly hot

Really?

I mean, each to their own and all that, but she's got this terrible haircut and something about her eyes seems weird. And there were moments when her head seemed really badly proportioned to her shoulders... More likely it was her shoulders that were oddly sized and it just gave the impression her head was fricking huge, but still.

Also she's a bossy, condescending bitch, which is also fairly unattractive.

Yeah, I mean she's a video game character so proportions can't be perfect but I actually really liked her hair, but the tattoos are what did it for me haha. I just like exotic looking women too. Awful personality too, but I was under the impression Jason was entranced by her physically, despite having a bad personality and you know.. that one ending.

@RawknRo11a said:

Yea, Jason wasn't the most together dude out there. But remember, he had a wing-suit and a fucking flame-thrower.

Touche.

#22 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4284 posts) -
@tourgen said:

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

I hate how he didnt turn into a complete psycopath. I was having fun how the "progression of skill" of the game character reflected his mental progress but he never became the insane motherfucker that I wanted him to be. Instead they: Tried to give the player those two completely different stories. And even the choice where he embraces Citra or whatever feels like its "too" sudden. You go through all the trouble of saving your brother and then and you give him and your friends up for some island girl. The writers never gave the player time to transform into that kind of character. And although that choice is basically the choice where Jason goes crazy, it definitely doesnt feel "good enough". In fact, the mental progression was going great until Jason told his friends that hes staying. From that point, Jason's mental condition never progressed.

I agree. They didn't sell the turn towards the psychotic killer / revenge killer hard enough. The story was essentially Citra turning Jason into another Vaas. They just didn't write it well enough and didn't have a voice actor who could pull it off.

still think it's a better story than most of what came out this year

and whoops, I forgot to put a spoiler tag on it but oh well.... 

Yeah and I feel like Citra was such an unecessary character.  I dont know why they focussed so much on her.   

And I agree with you.  They story went in a bad direction but I feel like the story was mediocre.  Its not like it was so bad it took away from the fun I had with the game.  
#23 Posted by mason (265 posts) -

There was potential for Jason to turn into an interesting character. At least if he actually transformed from shallow pampered rich kid to hardened killer who comes to understand himself and the world around him. But it never really gets there.

Sure, he suddenly has the ability to kill with efficiency, and the story makes weak attempts to show now he's totally a warrior, and stuff. But the tone is so inconsistent and never believable.

His character feels written by committee. Like they took a bunch of character types, and glued them together, with no attempt to unify the traits. He's the awkward everyman who the gamer is supposed to identify with, but he's also the dark brooding soldier who's seen some shit, also the drugged-out psychopath, the charitable savior of the weak, the gung-ho soldier who loves the smell of napalm in the morning and also a naive lost child who is confused when people are mean to him.

I feel most of this had to do with the dialogue and acting choices. Every time Jason's VO spoke was cringeworthy. At no point, did he sound like some person who's seen and done bad shit. Even by the end of the game, it sounded like the voice of some college freshman casually talking at his screen from his couch.

Whiny voice aside, the actual things he says don't jive with the message. Like one moment he's practically crying "why me?", then the next he's all "fuck yeah!" and spouting action-movie clichés while blowing up dudes (as if he hadn't already done this a thousand times before). He would flip back and forth depending on the scene. There was obviously no clear vision for his character other than to be whatever the scene needed him to be.

#24 Posted by Dacnomaniac (444 posts) -

He's a fucking asshole. @Oldirtybearon: I thought his mother was alive, and his father was dead. At least that's what was implied.

#25 Posted by themangalist (1748 posts) -

Probably my least favourite playable character in gaming ever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.