North American unlock time?

#1 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

Do steam games usually unlock in the afternoon?

I was hoping if anything it would unlock like at 9 pacific or midnight at the latest, any reason why it they wait until tomorrow?

#2 Posted by Bocam (3808 posts) -

Still 18 hours away @ 7:25 PM EST

#3 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4469 posts) -

It's probably Ubisoft as to why the game is unlocking later tomorrow because AC 3 unlocked around the same time.

#4 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

@Bocam said:

Yeah, so you wait until 3 in the afternoon?

Man, the indignant inconvenience!

#5 Posted by Bocam (3808 posts) -

@Doctorchimp said:

@Bocam said:

Yeah, so you wait until 3 in the afternoon?

Man, the indignant inconvenience!

Naw, I used an Australian VPN and unlocked it last week.

#6 Edited by Lukeweizer (2748 posts) -

I've found that Steam games usually unlock the night before release. Borderlands 2 unlocked at 9pm on Monday the 17th (the night before release day). I have a feeling Ubisoft made it NOT midnight so people would buy it from other sources and promote the Uplay platform. To that I say; Fuck that shit. Although I am going to be buying the game on PC, I'm getting it through Steam. Just trying to vote with my dollar... but still end up giving it to Ubisoft. I've done the math and the game will unlock at 10 AM Pacific time on Tuesday.

#7 Posted by BaneFireLord (2967 posts) -

DAMN YOU UBISOFT! I actually have work I need to be doing tomorrow.

#8 Posted by Sackmanjones (4784 posts) -

Well this sure blows. Was hopin to play tonight as I have a full schedule tomorrow . Guess I won't be

#9 Posted by Vigil80 (435 posts) -

Just think of it as part of the fun. Even years later, that feeling of waiting for a cool new game to drop hasn't changed.

#10 Posted by yesac2004 (128 posts) -

Man this conversation is WAY more civilized then the ones on the same topic happening in the Steam forums.

#11 Posted by Meteor_VII (126 posts) -
@yesac2004 said:

Man this conversation is WAY more civilized then the ones on the same topic happening in the Steam forums.

Yea I saw that stuff over there too and came here to see if it was being talked about. Was going to get a pizza and play through the night until I found out its not unlocking till 1 pm.  sad face me.
#12 Posted by TreyoftheDead (52 posts) -

@Lukeweizer said:

I've found that Steam games usually unlock the night before release. Borderlands 2 unlocked at 9pm on Monday the 17th (the night before release day). I have a feeling Ubisoft made it NOT midnight so people would buy it from other sources and promote the Uplay platform. To that I say; Fuck that shit. Although I am going to be buying the game on PC, I'm getting it through Steam. Just trying to vote with my dollar... but still end up giving it to Ubisoft. I've done the math and the game will unlock at 10 AM Pacific time on Tuesday.

Actually, as I understand it, Uplay is the problem. Ubisoft aren't unlocking the game to be activated on Uplay until 10am PST tomorrow (remember, it requires a one time UPlay activation no matter where or how you get it). That means, no matter how you get it you have to wait, even if you buy directly from Uplay. Also, all the folks going out to Walmart tonight and buying it for PC may not be able to play until tomorrow. So, I don't think it is to promote Uplay, if they wanted to do that they would make it so it only unlocks on Steam tomorrow, while Uplay customers get it tonight. Steam is simply not unlocking it until it is able to be activated on Uplay. Which is smart for them, they want to avoid the angry emails from consumers who can't play the game because of Uplay.

#13 Posted by Strife777 (1610 posts) -

I was really disappointed when I saw it only unlocked during the day tomorrow. I was expecting to play this at midnight, but oh well.

#14 Posted by mclakers (125 posts) -

UBI is making a good case to start pirating their games. I want to support the devs, but when UBI pulls this type of Bullshit it really makes me want to visit those little torrent websites. Steam and UBi has my money for over 2 weeks and now they want to pull this BS. I will wait till it unlocks tomorrow, but they have lost a customer with their shenanigans, always on DRM. They are spitting in the face of the people that spend their hard earned cash.

#15 Posted by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -

@mclakers said:

UBI is making a good case to start pirating their games. I want to support the devs, but when UBI pulls this type of Bullshit it really makes me want to visit those little torrent websites. Steam and UBi has my money for over 2 weeks and now they want to pull this BS. I will wait till it unlocks tomorrow, but they have lost a customer with their shenanigans, always on DRM. They are spitting in the face of the people that spend their hard earned cash.

What?

#16 Posted by mclakers (125 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

What?

This.

#17 Posted by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -

@mclakers said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

What?

This.

Ok?

#18 Posted by mclakers (125 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

What?

This.

Ok?

Just blowing off some steam......wanted to play this tonight. disappointed.

#19 Posted by Sanity (1950 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

What?

Eh... I thought there drm changed? Obviously theres still no excuse for pirating the game but a 12 hour wait is hardly a big deal... Hell, play something else.

#20 Edited by Capum15 (4966 posts) -

Unlocks at...like, 11am for me, I think. That's kinda weird, as I figured it'd be midnight, but whatever.

#21 Posted by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -

@mclakers said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

What?

This.

Ok?

I just don't get your logic dude. The guys have talked about this on the bombcast. The reason Steam doesn't release the game until midday is so Valve can be in the office to address issues if they arise. Ubisoft has nothing to do with it and I totally understand why Valve would do this. But even if you don't how would waiting until midday or when you get home from work be such a dramatic thing that you would rather pirate the game instead of waiting?

#22 Posted by mclakers (125 posts) -

@dudy80 said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

What?

Eh... I thought there drm changed? Obviously theres still no excuse for pirating the game but a 12 hour wait is hardly a big deal... Hell, play something else.

Nope, DRM is trough Uplay, and its always on. Brad on the QL was having Server issues before it actually worked.

#23 Posted by mclakers (125 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

What?

This.

Ok?

I just don't get your logic dude. The guys have talked about this on the bombcast. The reason Steam doesn't release the game until midday is so Valve can be in the office to address issues if they arise. Ubisoft has nothing to do with it and I totally understand why Valve would do this. But even if you don't how would waiting until midday or when you get home from work be such a dramatic thing that you would rather pirate the game instead of waiting?

Look, i buy all my games. But UBI has complained over and over again about piracy, and making the true consumer suffer because off pirates is a bad business plan. Pirates are going to pirate regardless of what DRM and release date or hour they put. Steam is not holding the game for tomorrow, Ubisoft is with the Uplay Drm. Every game that has released recently has unlocked at midnight EST. Hitman, xcom, dishonored, borderlands 2.

#24 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@mclakers said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

What?

This.

Ok?

Look, i buy all my games. But UBI has complained over and over again about piracy, and making the true consumer suffer because off pirates is a bad business plan. Pirates are going to pirate regardless of what DRM and release date or hour they put. Steam is not holding the game for tomorrow, Ubisoft is with the Uplay Drm. Every game that has released recently has unlocked at midnight EST. Hitman, xcom, dishonored, borderlands 2.

Hey bud, you can buy the game and play now if you spend $2 extra on a 2 day VPN. Or, you can convince yourself that Ubisoft is a terrible awful company and go pirate the game and damage the entire industry. Do you want to see PC games continue to have decent-to-good quality ports? Buy the game and wait a day or use a VPN and play tonight. Do you want more developers to ignore PC? Go pirate the game.

It's your choice, but think on it.

#25 Posted by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -

@mclakers said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

What?

This.

Ok?

What does Ubisoft and DRM have to do with when this game is released on Steam?

#26 Posted by TreyoftheDead (52 posts) -

You can play the game with Uplay set to offline mode, so no bothering with the servers. It just has to be connected to activate the game.

#27 Posted by mclakers (125 posts) -

@JasonR86: @JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

What?

This.

Ok?

Yes the Release is on steam. After you start the game you have to log in to Uplay to play the game. otherwise you cant.

#28 Posted by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -

@mclakers said:

@JasonR86: @JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

What?

This.

Ok?

Yes the Release is on steam. After you start the game you have to log in to Uplay to play the game. otherwise you cant.

Uh-huh. Again, how does this relate to the thread?

#29 Posted by mclakers (125 posts) -

Look guys, i could cry and moan all i want, ultimately I have to wait. As i said earlier, i was planning on playing this tonight. I guess its getting my ass handed to me a little more on X com, or some Hitman.

#30 Posted by DystopiaX (5352 posts) -

@mclakers said:

@dudy80 said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

What?

Nope, DRM is trough Uplay, and its always on. Brad on the QL was having Server issues before it actually worked.

You're misinformed, and so was Brad. You have to be online to activate the game the first time, then you can start in offline mode. It's not always-online DRM, not even close to it.

#31 Posted by Hemmelight (164 posts) -

@TreyoftheDead said:

You can play the game with Uplay set to offline mode, so no bothering with the servers. It just has to be connected to activate the game.

#32 Posted by Lukeweizer (2748 posts) -

@TreyoftheDead said:

@Lukeweizer said:

Actually, as I understand it, Uplay is the problem. Ubisoft aren't unlocking the game to be activated on Uplay until 10am PST tomorrow (remember, it requires a one time UPlay activation no matter where or how you get it). That means, no matter how you get it you have to wait, even if you buy directly from Uplay. Also, all the folks going out to Walmart tonight and buying it for PC may not be able to play until tomorrow. So, I don't think it is to promote Uplay, if they wanted to do that they would make it so it only unlocks on Steam tomorrow, while Uplay customers get it tonight. Steam is simply not unlocking it until it is able to be activated on Uplay. Which is smart for them, they want to avoid the angry emails from consumers who can't play the game because of Uplay.

Didn't know Uplay itself wasn't unlock it until 10 am. That's crazy. I really wish every publisher didn't feel the need to create their own Steam-esque platform when Steam is proven and readily available. I understand why they do it, but it just makes things messier for the rest of us.

#33 Posted by Sanity (1950 posts) -

@DystopiaX said:

@mclakers said:

@dudy80 said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mclakers said:

What?

You're misinformed, and so was Brad. You have to be online to activate the game the first time, then you can start in offline mode. It's not always-online DRM, not even close to it.

I thought so, still there DRM was crappy for awhile, and i wish they would still use steamworks on steam.

#34 Edited by RenegadeDoppelganger (424 posts) -

It's 2 hours away here, I will still be at work when it unlocks. Why are people getting so upset that they have to wait a few hours to play this game? This is a pretty enviable position considering that people who own consoles still need to physically go outside, drive down to the nearest store, pick up a copy and then drive back to be able to play a game. Meanwhile I will have my copy pre-downloaded onto my computer and pretty much ready to play by the time I get home from work.

Remember before Steam when you'd actually have to go to a store to buy games? Sometimes the store could actually sell out and you'd have to come back days later with no guarantee the game would actually be there. Being able to buy a guaranteed copy of a game from the comfort of my home and then being able to play it within hours of the actual release is fucking WIZARDY.

Is playing a game on release day no longer good enough now?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.