Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

Ohhh, Now I get it.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Twitchey

(Sorry for no links or embed for the trailer, shitty internet equals shitty thread post)

In the trailer for Far Car 3 the "Definition of Insanity" guy says "Do you know what the definition of insanity is? It's doing the same fucking thing again and again, expecting shit to change". He later goes on to say something along the lines of "I've killed you before and you keep coming back". When you're character is knocked (or pulled for better words) into the chasm which should of lead to his death, you notice lots of skeletons, all killed in the same way.  A cinder block attached to a piece of rope tied to the victim's body.

It finally hit me when I realized, this dude is insane (Orly?) . Something must of happened in his past to cause him to think anyone he finds on the island that he doesn't know, is a specific person from his past. 

Maybe his family was killed by this mysterious person? I don't know and this is really the pull of the game to me. I loved Far Cry 2 but the story, not so much. The mystery behind this is, driving me insane. (Shitty pun)

So what could have possibly happened to "definition of insanity" guy's past to make him perform these killings like a broken record? I MUST KNOW!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I have a feeling you're looking too far into what he was saying. I agree that the dude's probably insane, though.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Twitchey said:
    (Sorry for no links or embed for the trailer, shitty internet equals shitty thread post)

In the trailer for Far Car 3 the "Definition of Insanity" guy says "Do you know what the definition of insanity is? It's doing the same fucking thing again and again, expecting shit to change". He later goes on to say something along the lines of "I've killed you before and you keep coming back". When you're character is knocked (or pulled for better words) into the chasm which should of lead to his death, you notice lots of skeletons, all killed in the same way.  A cinder block attached to a piece of rope tied to the victim's body.

It finally hit me when I realized, this dude is insane (Orly?) . Something must of happened in his past to cause him to think anyone he finds on the island that he doesn't know, is a specific person from his past. 

Maybe his family was killed by this mysterious person? I don't know and this is really the pull of the game to me. I loved Far Cry 2 but the story, not so much. The mystery behind this is, driving me insane. (Shitty pun)  So what could have possibly happened to "definition of insanity" guy's past to make him perform these killings like a broken record? I MUST KNOW!
    No....Cause then he would have just killed all his cronies. And I do not think they are skeletons.  

I just think hes insane. 
    RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RockAction

i've only seen it once, but I just assumed that he was referring to continually capturing your character and trying to kill him and, being a game, you get away 
     and i thought the pit full of corpses weighed down with cement was just some sick choice of kill rather than him seeing people he knows in strangers and killing them repeatedly 

like i saw i only saw it once but i don't think it mentions the stuff you propose; interesting proposition nonetheless 

i'm going to keep an eye on this game, i hated far cry 2, spent most of my time in the editor but it was a really boring game

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Twitchey
    @The_Laughing_Man: I doubt he is the only person to grow up on the island, the cronies could be people he grew up with and for some reason, decided to appoint the most insane person as their leader.  I can't remember exactly what was in the chasm but from my memory they were skeletons or very decayed bodies.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Twitchey said:
    @The_Laughing_Man: I doubt he is the only person to grow up on the island, the cronies could be people he grew up with and for some reason, decided to appoint the most insane person as their leader.  I can't remember exactly what was in the chasm but from my memory they were skeletons or very decayed bodies.
    Your looking way to much into it dude. Hes just insane. 
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrKlorox

Watch it pull a STALKER and it turns out you're Voss the whole time.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Brendan

I echo the sentiments of those who say that you're looking too far into it. There aren't even any real hints to back up what you're suggesting.

Avatar image for harbinger_of_hippos
    Harbinger_Of_Hippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perhaps he was fondled one too many times by a perverted uncle? Maybe there's something in the water they drink? THE NOT-KNOWING IS KILLING ME NOW TOO!!!!

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By TheFreeMan

And then it turns out that you're playing the game backwards, except for the levels that are in black and white.

HassaniSabbah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HassaniSabbah

I think you play a guy who keeps regenerating when he dies, and Voss really is killing you over and over again. And Voss is really the only one who's sane, maaan. The whole thing is a postmodern commentary on the nature of death in video games. Did I just blow your miiind? *bong hit*

But seriously, I don't completely understand the hype this game is getting over the story. It seems to me to be very much a rehash of the Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now inspired story of Far Cry 2, based on the admittedly small taste we've been given. Now don't get me wrong, I loved Far Cry 2. Probably more than most people. I think with a few minor changes to the AI and the frequency of enemy respawns it would be a bona fide, unqualified classic. I just don't remember it being praised all that much for its story.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.