RPG elements?

#1 Posted by Spiritgod (210 posts) -

After watching the 14 minute gameplay video, I couldn't help but become interested in the experience system I saw for every kill they made. I'll try to keep my hopes down to a minimum, but have they spoken of any RPG elements in the game? To be honest, it would make sense for the main character to level up through his journey, to make him seem weak at the beginning and the a total badass near the end, but I haven't been able to find anything on the subject.

#2 Posted by djou (850 posts) -

There's been surprisingly scant information about this game. From the footage I've seen it looks fucking awesome and I can't wait, but I am a bit concerned when they delayed the game until December.

I love would RPG elements to the single player but I'm skeptical about any kind of leveling system. I imagine the game will have a semi-guided open world with optional objectives that the player can pursue when they want, maybe like Crysis 1. This idea is solely based on looking at the Xbox achievement list.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/far-cry-3/achievements/

If they were going to offer something like the Borderlands leveling system there would be corresponding achievements/trophies to reward this. Most of them look like they are based on completing a set number of objectives or a skill based. There's an achievement for unlocking skills through tattoos so that's probably the extent of the customization that will be offered.

#3 Posted by believer258 (11557 posts) -

@djou said:

There's been surprisingly scant information about this game. From the footage I've seen it looks fucking awesome and I can't wait, but I am a bit concerned when they delayed the game until December.

I love would RPG elements to the single player but I'm skeptical about any kind of leveling system. I imagine the game will have a semi-guided open world with optional objectives that the player can pursue when they want, maybe like Crysis 1. This idea is solely based on looking at the Xbox achievement list.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/far-cry-3/achievements/

If they were going to offer something like the Borderlands leveling system there would be corresponding achievements/trophies to reward this. Most of them look like they are based on completing a set number of objectives or a skill based. There's an achievement for unlocking skills through tattoos so that's probably the extent of the customization that will be offered.

Judging by that achievement list, it looks like there will be a lot of stuff to do.

Anyway, if I remember correctly, the whole numbers-popping-out-of-guys thing got a bit of a bad reception, so they may have cut that out but that doesn't necessarily mean that any RPG elements are cut out of the game.

#4 Posted by Spiritgod (210 posts) -

Well, I can always hope for some form of leveling system, even if numbers aren't involved. The way they speak about the game it would seem almost a given that a leveling system would be appropriate for the way that want to portray the main character. I was getting this game anyway, so I guess I'll find out in a few weeks.

#5 Posted by chilipeppersman (1144 posts) -

game looks awesome, I am going to pre-order it for my xbox. I think it has multiplayer, my gamertag is stayinfrosty707. I would appreciate if any of you wanted to shout out your gamertag, im always looking for more people to play with :P

#6 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -
#7 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

RPG as in rockets dude...rockets for everyone! 

#8 Posted by djou (850 posts) -

Holy crap the gamespot single player walk through looked incredible. Although when they were showing the radio section I had flashbacks to my frustration with clearing the Slab UHF challenge in Borderlands 2. The character leveling seems similar to Dead Island, lots of item retrieval to craft weapons and xp to develop a skill tree. I've been wanting to play a good stealth fps since Crysis 1. I can't wait...

#9 Posted by Spiritgod (210 posts) -

@david3cm said:

There is a leveling system but you do not gain levels per say. When you fill the progress bar you will gain an ability corresponding to a different style of play represented by a different animal. So there is a perk system similar to something like skyrim. Information can be found here: http://www.gamespot.com/far-cry-3/previews/the-thin-line-between-far-cry-3-and-skyrim-6397971/

I can live with that, and thanks for the info. I don't necessarily need a number system, I just want to feel like I'm gaining something from the experience. And I've got a feeling I'll be knee deep in the crafting and (potion?) making aspect of this game. Also, I don't know why, since your link address seems correct, but your link doesn't work, at least not for me.

#10 Posted by Karkarov (2942 posts) -

@david3cm said:

There is a leveling system but you do not gain levels per say. When you fill the progress bar you will gain an ability corresponding to a different style of play represented by a different animal. So there is a perk system similar to something like skyrim. Information can be found here: http://www.gamespot.com/far-cry-3/previews/the-thin-line-between-far-cry-3-and-skyrim-6397971/

interesting, that page is giving me a 404 now... Either way Far Cry 3 is already looking way more attractive than it's previous entries. I never bothered with 2 until I saw it for like 5 bucks on steam, this one looks like it might actually be worth retail instead of bargain bin.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.