SHARK PUNCHING is one of the greatest innovations

#1 Edited by AssInAss (2747 posts) -
#2 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

If there was someway to make a .gif a wallpaper, I would make this my wallpaper for all eternity.

#3 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

It's what Chuck Norris does to stay in shape...although he doesn't need to, he's always in shape.

#4 Posted by Darson (448 posts) -

Intense Shark Combat Simulator 3 (FAR CRY 3)

#5 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

Wow they really punched the shark with this game

#6 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Well, that's fucking cool.

#7 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@SomeDeliCook

Haha!
#8 Posted by ShaggE (6720 posts) -

@jorbear said:

If there was someway to make a .gif a wallpaper, I would make this my wallpaper for all eternity.

Go back to XP, and you can.

Seems like a decent sacrifice, if you ask me.

#9 Posted by Venatio (4493 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@SomeDeliCook

Haha!

*claps*

#10 Posted by BaneFireLord (2957 posts) -

Okay, I'm preordering this.

#11 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11415 posts) -

Batman Arkham City had shark punching in it.

#12 Posted by Gunslinger0130 (241 posts) -

Just wait until the other game companies follow suit, I'm calling it now - 2013, year of the shark punch.

#13 Posted by Jimbo (10006 posts) -

You have to come up a great one-liner when dealing with a shark too, like the timeless "Smile, you son of a bitch!" from Jaws, or the slightly less timeless "Say 'ahhh'!" from Jaws 2.  Man, fuck Jaws 2.

#14 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

It still looks fake and no this is not a back to the future reference.

#15 Posted by Catarrhal (860 posts) -

This is actually nowhere near as impressive as Yakuza 2's airborne tiger punching, and that was almost six years ago.

In other words, Japan still has something to offer video games. Screw you, Phil.

#16 Posted by Lukeweizer (2770 posts) -

If you want to repel a shark, hit it on it's nose. That's where all it's sensors are. You're welcome.

#17 Posted by Hunter5024 (5980 posts) -

In Hey Arnold there was this episode where his grandpa punched a shark. Ever since then I have modeled my life after Arnold's grandpa's as best as I can.

#18 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@AssInAss said:

Truly the greatest .gif of our time.

#19 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

wtf ubisoft games always promise the most amazing stuff, always turns out to be a mess. Sadface

#20 Posted by AssInAss (2747 posts) -

@Intelligent_Space_Man said:

Does punching with boats count?

Haha! What game is that? I'll have to check with the judges on that.

#21 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Not only did Crysis have the scariest sharks ever in a game but I'm pretty sure you could punch the hell out of them, with your fists by aiming and clicking rather than a QTE.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I could. Until they massacred me of course. Which was followed by shitting my pants and crying into my palms.

Get on that boat and punch the shark when it swims near!

#22 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

GOTY

#23 Posted by believer258 (12210 posts) -

This game is seeming pretty good thus far.

@AhmadMetallic said:

Not only did Crysis have the scariest sharks ever in a game but I'm pretty sure you could punch the hell out of them, with your fists by aiming and clicking rather than a QTE.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I could. Until they massacred me of course. Which was followed by shitting my pants and crying into my palms.

Get on that boat and punch the shark when it swims near!

Did you watch the video linked? The guy's pitching it as seemingly Crysis like, i.e. pretty open and pretty varied in how you can approach things. Also, now I need to go play Crysis and punch sharks.

#24 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Lukeweizer said:
If you want to repel a shark, hit it on it's nose. That's where all it's sensors are. You're welcome.
Punching a shark in the nose will only leave him dazed for some time. Besides, the nose is dangerously closed to the mouth, and considering that the shark is extremely fast, you have a pretty good chance of just giving the shark his dinner. If you want to fight a shark off, hit the eyes or the gills.
#25 Posted by 49th (2851 posts) -

Would you still punch a shark if it had arms and could fight back?

#26 Posted by Lukeweizer (2770 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@Lukeweizer said:
Punching a shark in the nose will only leave him dazed for some time. Besides, the nose is dangerously closed to the mouth, and considering that the shark is extremely fast, you have a pretty good chance of just giving the shark his dinner. If you want to fight a shark off, hit the eyes or the gills.

It will be enough to fuck him up and he'll probably leave you alone. It's your best chance anyway. Eyes and gills are also good choices.

#27 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Lukeweizer: I pointed that out because i would be afraid of the shark looking to kill me after i punched him, but hey, the most important  rule is: DON'T FIGHT SHARKS!
#28 Posted by Spoonman671 (4777 posts) -
That's awesome.

@AhmadMetallic: You could punch them?  I'm pretty sure they would just kill you.  Maybe if you punch them from on top of the boat? 
#29 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4610 posts) -

@Venatio said:

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@SomeDeliCook

Haha!

*claps*

Sharkyuken?

#30 Posted by AssInAss (2747 posts) -

@49th said:

Would you still punch a shark if it had arms and could fight back?

Now we're talking!

#31 Posted by llamaegg (231 posts) -

@phrali said:

wtf ubisoft games always promise the most amazing stuff, always turns out to be a mess. Sadface

Seriously? If anything this has me more pumped for the game, because if they are revealing shark punching, what might we find upon release? You tame the shark and get to use it as a boat to traverse the waters of the island?

#32 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Sharks, my only weakness.

#33 Posted by meaninoflife42 (554 posts) -

Who could forget this "classic" shark punching moment?

#34 Posted by Superkenon (1506 posts) -

Guys

#35 Edited by KingdomCome (37 posts) -

A most underused gameplay mechanic...

I applaud Rocksteady and Ubisoft for their innovation within the fields of Third Person and First Person Shark Punching. *Applauds*

#36 Posted by Abendlaender (2889 posts) -

You know, punching a shark is actually quiet effective and the best thing you can do to defend yourself. No, I'm serious. If you ever see shark coming right at you, punch it on it's nose. I'm not kidding people, I'm serious! Stop laughing! It can disrupt their "sixth sense" thus giving you a chance to escape.

#37 Edited by SpartanHoplite (387 posts) -

:D

that was awsome. Its gonna be a fun game, better than 2 for sure.

#38 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

I saw the Kotaku preview the other day and it had shark punching therefore I will buy the game.

#39 Posted by SpartanHoplite (387 posts) -

Lara Croft :D

How could i forget.

#40 Posted by Getz (3159 posts) -

Whatevs. The Tomb Raider movie did it 10 years ago

#41 Posted by SpartanHoplite (387 posts) -

@Getz:

But she didnt kill it. Although, she rided it like a boss, but then again, that was done first in Deep Blue Sea by Thomas Jane's character :D

#42 Posted by papercut (3557 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@AssInAss said:

Truly the greatest .gif of our time.

Is it weird that I hear dubstep in my head when I watch this?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.