So.... Monsters or no monsters?

#1 Posted by Space_Sandwich (108 posts) -

I doubt Ubisoft would include those crazy monkey monsters from the first Far Cry, but just in case they do, how angry would you be?

I thought the latter half of Far Cry was just atrocious, what with it turning into Doom and/or Unreal, so I loved the departure from all that jazz in FC2. But, now that we're back on an island instead of Africa, I'm worried we might see a resurgence of those damned critters. Maybe the new gimmick here are those shrooms and "balls high" moments we keep seeing in previews and such.

Thoughts?

#2 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

Good god... no monsters. I didn't finish Far Cry for that very reason. Loved it up to that point. Far Cry 2 was solid - flawed, but solid. Everything I have seen of 3 has made me excited.

Do you know the definition of insanity?

#3 Posted by Sackmanjones (4705 posts) -

No thanks

#4 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

I hope so

#5 Posted by Redbullet685 (6044 posts) -

Predator mode in multiplayer was fun as hell, though.

#6 Posted by Commisar123 (1792 posts) -

I like Far Cry 2 a lot, and monsters would have made that game look really silly, but I enjoyed the game enough that I'm willing to wait and see what they can do with monsters this time.

#7 Posted by seannao (226 posts) -

They could include them as part of a drug-induced hallucination. I .. don't think we'll see them though.

#8 Posted by Deusx (1905 posts) -
I finally have an excuse to post this.
#9 Posted by onarum (2089 posts) -

Nah, far cry 2 had no such nonsense, I doubt they'll bring that back.

#10 Posted by M_Shini (551 posts) -

Don't think id like it, maybe more general dangerous wildlife tho like crazy Sabre tooth monkeys.

#11 Posted by Mister_V (1286 posts) -

No thanks, adding sci-fi enemy's in the last third of a game is a pet hate of mine, it's a sure fire way of ruining a good shooter, *cough* uncharted *cough*

#12 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

Pretty angry. No monsters please.

I want semi-realistic expanses, stealth, and malaria. I'll relent on malaria if necessary.

#13 Posted by Hosstile17 (763 posts) -

@Space_Sandwich: The "go fight some humans.... wait no crazy aliens!" method of developing games is a staple of Crytek. I have the highest level of confidence that they will not return in this, or any other installment in the Far Cry franchise.

#14 Posted by GalacticPunt (1057 posts) -

Please, no monsters! I really enjoyed the first few levels of the original Far Cry. They were cool stealthing, swimming, and shooting puzzles. Then those damn monsters get introduced, and it devolves into Serious Sam bullshit.

After suffering through a couple levels of walking backwards while dumping into those bullet-sponge creatures, I shook my head and uninstalled. The game cost me $2.49, so I still got my money's worth before those monsters sucked the fun out of it.

#15 Posted by Shitballs (19 posts) -

After seeing that trailer with the shrooms we can gather that there will be some hallucination stuff, which leads me to think they may be able to play with that monster concept without having to commit.

#16 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I will be highly disappointed if there are monsters.

#17 Posted by Strife777 (1580 posts) -

@Shitballs said:

After seeing that trailer with the shrooms we can gather that there will be some hallucination stuff, which leads me to think they may be able to play with that monster concept without having to commit.

This. From the trailer, you can guess they will do crazy things with those drug sequences, hopefully.

#18 Edited by ProfessorEss (7376 posts) -

Unlike what seems like the majority I'm of the mind that the more like Far Cry 2 it is the better.  

...quick enemy respawn, breaking weapons, malaria, limited fast-travel and all.

#19 Posted by Shitballs (19 posts) -

In fact, i would love to see them use the hallucination stuff to do something Amnesia: The Dark Descent-esque. That, in combination with the intense roaming game play would be an awesome contrast.

#20 Posted by believer258 (11913 posts) -

@Space_Sandwich said:

what with it turning into Doom and/or Unreal,

Well, if that were the case, then yeah...

Personally, I have no problem with the Trigens. I enjoyed fighting them. Actually, I hope they do include something other than humans to shoot. This might be an unpopular opinion, but I can shoot humans in a million other games.

#21 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

Man is the monster!

#22 Posted by NTM (7379 posts) -

They wouldn't bring that stuff back. Also, you're referring to the Trigens and not the mutants, or both? You can't mention Far Cry without Instincts. Instincts for the most part was better than the PC version in every way, the feel of shooting is arguable.

#23 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4605 posts) -

@Redbullet685 said:

Predator mode in multiplayer was fun as hell, though.

thumpthump. THUMPTHUMP.

#24 Posted by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -

I liked the trigens.

#25 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1329 posts) -

I remember reading somewhere they said no aliens or monsters this time, maybe it was game informer

#26 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

I'm fine if it pulls some kind of magic realism (a la, inhabitants thinking they're possessed or something) but out and out monsters would be annoying.

Personally, though, I'm pulling for no dubstep more.

#27 Posted by SSValis (1136 posts) -

I'm leaning towards being against having monsters in FC3. I don't know.

#28 Edited by Skyfire543 (691 posts) -

Man the Trigens were cool in Far Cry, in my opinion.  Fucking stupid and rediculous, but cool.  The last half of the game definately isnt as good as the first, but the way your character looks and sounds, as well as his attitude just makes me think he sould be in a Serious Sam game, and that makes me want to shoot monsters.  The games mechanics may not fit it, but as soon as you get the Jackhammer shotgun why do you even need stealth anymore?  
I think they shouldt include them in FC3 as one of the trippy shroom hallusinations as a throwback.  That at the very least.

#29 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

I'm probably one of the few that didn't like Far Cry 2, but really loved the first Far Cry... So yeah, I hope there's something other than humans to shoot at (doesn't have to be the Trigens, but something, please).

#30 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

FOR REAL? YOU DON'T GET IT? CAN YOU WORK IT OUT? YOU ARE THE MONSTER, MAN!

#31 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I want monsters

#32 Posted by Butano (1738 posts) -

I think the closest thing they'll have to monsters in the game will be the hallucinations. Other than that, probably not.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.