Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

[SPOILERS] Little late to the party, but i just finished.

virtualpolecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By virtualpolecat

Is it just me or do any of you guys think that the later half of the game was drop dead boring, right after you kill Vaas I think the game slowly falls down hill, the only thing I liked in the second half of the game was Sam.

There was nothing to do in the second half for me, I had already gone through earlier and done all the path of the hunter quests to get the best gear possible. At the end I wasn't even climbing towers or clearing outposts, it just felt like a 1st person assassin's creed with Borgia towers. The outposts/towers didn't feel rewarding at all.

I believe the devs thought this was going to happen, as most of the missions on the bottom island started near fast travel points that were unlocked even if you didn't clear the area.

I would like to hear your opinions.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

A lot of people complained about that when the game came out- for good reason.

I personally didn't have a problem with it- the game play was the same throughout (and they technically still added a few mechanics), but Vaas is such an amazing character that him being taken out when he is is definitely felt.

It's a simple case of Ubisoft not knowing what they had (with Vaas) until it was too late to give him a larger role in the overall story. They'll never be able to replicate it either- even though they will definitely try with the next one.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I had fun with the game throughout, but them killing off Vaas in an incredibly underwhelming way was very disappointing. Making my way toward the ending after that was really just me having fun with the gameplay rather than a drive to see the story finish.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I enjoyed the entire game, but yes, the second island was way less fun. I don't even blame the lack of Vaas, the other guy was a decent enough villian as well.

The real issue with the second island is you get the guard uniform like right away, which basically makes running around significantly less fun because instead of being careful and getting in random awesome car chases/shoot outs. You can just casually walk by them and only fight them when you choose to, so it basically makes running around and exploring to be pretty boring.

The great part of the first island is that it feels hostile, EVERYTHING wants to dead, the pirates, the wildlife, fall damage. It all wants you fucking DEAD. The second island the wildlife is actually tamer, the soldiers ignore you unless you go into a restricted zone. I mean sure you get teh wingsuit but i wanna wingsuit over a street and have all the dudes jump out of their cars and start shooting at me.

The uniform killed the second islands fun, not the lack of Vaas.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game was uneven narratively. There were weird thematic shifts that didn't work cohesively, some really terrible pacing, and a major villain that was unremarkable especially when compared to the villain you faced in the first half of the game. It was a ton of fun to play though, so people were sort of able to be more forgiving during the blatant missteps. Retrospectively I really enjoyed the game for what it was. I think I could look back it as one of the best experiences of I've had in the past decade if it were a bit more cohesive. I'm hoping they iron out their vision for Far Cry 4.

virtualpolecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The uniform killed the second islands fun, not the lack of Vaas.

I agree with this statement, i didn't like Vaas as much as other people it seems. I was glad when he died, because he just kept trying to tell me the definition of insanity.

The uniform was necessary, but it should have come way later, probably right before you killed Hoyt. Most of the time you got into a giant firefight and it didn't matter if you had it or not, the enemies would just yell "hes one of us, maybe Hoyt sent him".

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By MariachiMacabre

The story took a huge nosedive when they killed Vaas. They should have introduced Hoyt as the "only guy holding Vaas back" or something, then have you kill HIM. Then the second half of the game would have just been Vaas going batshit insane as the new boss.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Yeah, the story went downhill quick after the game decided to blow its load way too early. Vaas was by far the most interesting part of that game, and the decision to kill him off half way through the game still baffles me. That said, I think the actual missions in the second half of the game are really good. The one where you're ziplining through that cliff-side village and then jump off the bridge as it blows up was fantastic.

tp0p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped playing after you kill Vaas. I haven't picked up the game since and I don't intend to play any more of it.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Yeah, the story turns into straight-up garbage once you play the second island. It's not as fun to play either, but it's still fair enough. The story really soured me on it though.

madladunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Vaas was interesting because the story heavily implied that there was some mystery going on, some great reveal coming. For example, it kept throwing these Alice in Wonderland quotes about.

Basically, I didn't mind Vaas dying because I was expecting/hoping for some BioShock-esque twist, where it, for example, turns out that Vaas and Jason were actually the same person, or Vaas wasn't real.

Like Brad mentioned in the review here, there was ultimately no point to the protracted dream-like sequences, especially the one where Vaas dies.

That's what left me dissatisfied in the end. I personally didn't mind wearing the uniform, in fact I preferred it as I was already used to walking around the first island with no enemy presence (I'd cleared all outposts by the time I moved to the second island), so it would have been very irritating to keep running into enemy patrols on the second island without the uniform.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.