I wanted to talk a bit about the ending. Jeff commented on some of the weird stuff going on in the story. After hearing the crew talk about it, all throughout my playthrough I was seeing things that fed into the idea that something is seriously wrong with either the character or the world you're in. I saw plenty of things that got me thinking we were gonna have a Tyler Durden moment, or maybe they were going for the same hero fantasy that Spec Ops did, or maybe something even further out there. I finished the game, and nothing. They played it completely straight, which leaves me confused as all hell. So here's some of the observations I found throughout the game that kept me thinking this is the way they were going. Please clarify any misunderstandings I have, or if you're in the same boat as me, add things that you also thought were out of place.
- Quotes between missions frequently reference forgetting who you are
- Buck mysteriously teleports around the island to meet you at mission objectives. The story draws attention to it, but never explain it.
- The second dream sequence has characters flickering between Citra, Vaas and Jason.
- Most characters in story mission disappear as soon as you are done talking to them. I would say this is just it being a video game, but Jason makes to this being odd the first time he meets Sam.
- Jason's friends gather things together and board the boat to leave, yet days later (Sam says there will be a few days before you can execute on your next mission) Citra and her clan capture them at the Doctor's house.
I could just be reading into this too much, but I'm wondering if at some point the story was going to go another way and for some reason they decided not to. Anyways, discuss!