The Downfall of Far Cry 3

Posted by UnhappyCanadian (22 posts) -

Far Cry 3 is a fantastic game, and is by far my favorite game from 2012 that had a big budget release. The gameplay flows very well and makes you want to explore every inch of beautiful island on which you are located. The skills that you gain as you level up only work to make already fun gameplay even more seamless; it feels like you are getting stronger while you play, without making you feel hindered during the outset of your journey.

The first half of Far Cry is an incredible compliment to this gameplay, but the ending is such a disappointment. I am going to be as vague about story points as possible, but if you still have not played Far Cry 3 and want absolutely nothing spoiled, I suggest you stop reading now.

So another great part about this journey is the villain you are introduced to at the beginning named Vaas. He is a very well rounded antagonist that sends chills down your spine every time you encounter him, and his voice actor does incredible work making the character believable. He is an amazing character that the game unfortunately decides to squander halfway through the game by replacing him with a random new drug lord that the game claimed was so much scarier than Vaas.

He wasn’t. At all. Not only was the new villain was boring and completely uninspired, but he had none of the fear factor that I was struck with every time I heard Vaas’ voice. It might have been cool if Vaas took over the new drug lord and you got to witness his rise to prominence as he became even stronger, but that did not happen. Instead you are stuck with a bland villain that might as well have just shown up to tell you to stop playing the game.

I've been rambling on for awhile so I guess I'll split this into 2 parts. The next part will be posted on Monday and will focus on the story elements and the protagonist rather than the villains.

#2 Edited by believer258 (11642 posts) -
#3 Posted by UnhappyCanadian (22 posts) -

@believer258: You're right, I just wanted to do my own blog post on it. Probably shouldn't have made it a thread

#4 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

They said almost the same things about making Vaas take stuff over on the Bombcast. But yeah, sure, it's still not a terrible idea.

Since when does 300 words warrant a break into an entire new post/blog, though? Good gravy.

Also, I have this feeling that Far Cry 3 is going to be one of those games that people don't look back particularly fondly on in about a year or thereabouts. Maybe not to the extent of Far Cry 2, but same idea.

#5 Posted by Toxeia (728 posts) -

Psh, Hoyt had a bomb ass office chair. Don't know why everyone hates him.

#6 Posted by believer258 (11642 posts) -

@Toxeia said:

Psh, Hoyt had a bomb ass office chair. Don't know why everyone hates him.

I didn't hate him, which was precisely the issue. I was indifferent about him. I felt like I could just shove him aside like any other mook, which is the exact opposite of how I felt about Vaas.

@JJWeatherman said:

They said almost the same things about making Vaas take stuff over on the Bombcast. But yeah, sure, it's still not a terrible idea.

Since when does 300 words warrant a break into an entire new post/blog, though? Good gravy.

Also, I have this feeling that Far Cry 3 is going to be one of those games that people don't look back particularly fondly on in about a year or thereabouts. Maybe not to the extent of Far Cry 2, but same idea.

I also agree with this, though I think most people will just hit a point where they stop playing Far Cry 3 and become somewhat indifferent about it, unlike Far Cry 2, which receives a whole lot of hate almost across the board.

#7 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

The story reminded me of one of my "good" in class narrative essays.  At first, the ideas a vibrant, fresh and, exciting; and it seems like Im hitting all of the right notes.  Until I discover that I dont have a lot of time left and I still have to write the last third of the story.  I realize that I havent spent much time thinking about how Im going to conclude the story in an interesting way so I just try to wrap everything up as neatly as possible.  I may have new ideas along the way but then I realize that I would have to rewrite the middle as well as finish the end but I dont want to do that.   

I feel like the developing team of Far Cry 3 was pressured by Ubisoft to finish up the story.  I mean, its obvious where the story shouldve gone so it couldve only been a time crunch more than anything.

#8 Posted by Revan_NL (332 posts) -

The last part of the story is pretty bad, it feels rushed. Still, I enjoyed the gameplay of FC3 even when the story went downhill. Climbing radiotowers and liberating outposts just is a lot of fun. As for Far Cry 2, I hated that game for its mechanics, I didn't enjoy the couple of hours playing it

#9 Edited by NTM (7266 posts) -

While I think the game was mostly great, the story isn't its only problem. The only time that the game is truly great is when you're just going around the island trying to search for all the stuff to upgrade and what have you, but in the end, not only did I feel like I was done with the game, but I also felt like most of it wasn't necessarily worth it. Sure, the gameplay is better because of the upgrades, meaning it gets better as you go, but what's the point in using it once you're done with the story and all the side stuff?

The other reason it wasn't really worth it in the end is because I felt that looking back, the majority of the stuff you do is actually pretty repetitive, whether that be main story or side. It was fun as you did it all, but I felt like it wasn't worth the run after I was finished, 'cause I don't feel like playing it again, or at least not any time soon. On consoles--or at least on 360-- the frame-rate was never perfect, and certainly noticeable early on, but you get used to it, and the sensitivity isn't terrific compared to some other good shooters out there.

To be honest, I felt like the story was going into one obvious territory (protagonist is crazy or on drugs and is actually doing bad things), and I felt like I could guess the ending if they had gone that way, but I remember hearing that the game didn't really do anything with what it seemed it was setting up, so while it ended up generic as heck, and I didn't really care for the way it went, I actually liked it more than I thought it was going to be. As you go through the game, it's really great, but once all is finished, I just didn't think it was worth the adventure.

There was also a lack of weapons for all the hours I've spent playing it all, and there was no purpose in equipping other weapons that you got earlier since the newer weapons were better, and that kind of hurt the want to experience what other weapons had to offer since you knew bringing in those weapons wouldn't get the job done as easily; then again, after all that, like I mentioned before, there were no jobs to do. One last thing, I thought that for all the talk there was for the villain, they sure killed him off early, and it left me thinking "Wait... That's it?"

I also felt sorry for Vaas; I hated the other bad guys.

#10 Edited by squidraid (129 posts) -

I felt sorry for Vaas, too. He's so misunderstood. :(

#11 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@squidraid said:

I felt sorry for Vaas, too. He's so misunderstood. :(

I kind of got that impression a little. The instant I was introduced to Citra, I began to lose intrest in the main story. Her "idealism" and attempts to control Jason were boring and absolutely predictable. I felt that Vaas, despite his homicidal tendencies, seemed as if he was trying to tell the player that the path he was under-going was truly insane, and that in fact, Citra was the villain.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.