This game is great.

  • 113 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#51 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4605 posts) -

@jsnyder82 said:

@Jimbo said:

@Blastroid said:

This screenshot alone sold the game for me:

Coolest shoes I ever saw.

Yeah, I think the shoe manufacturer missed a few steps somewhere in there before selling these to the public.

This is why we need to keep all those asian kids in the sweatshops. If we just let them set up "independent" shoe stores like this, they won't have a clue how to properly make the damn things.

#52 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: Wow, okay, fuck you too. Asshole. I was trying to be nice, but it's obvious that you're a twat.

#53 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

@murisan said:

@AhmadMetallic: Wow, okay, fuck you too. Asshole. I was trying to be nice, but it's obvious that you're a twat.

Telling someone a game isn't for them and finishing with the word "sorry!" just because they want to inquire and ask questions about it and not blindly buy it, really isn't my idea of being 'nice.' Again, feel free to not comment on my posts regarding this game.

#54 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: It is still pretty serious and skill-dependent when you actually get into the action. Feels just like Far Cry 2. It's just that the tone is so weird and kinda the opposite of what Far Cry 2 is in many ways. I guess an arcadey STALKER isn't a bad way to put it. I haven't played much of the story at all, much like The Saboteur or Just Cause 2 I find the fun to be in the world itself, going around liberating bases and radio towers and unlocking new stuff.

#55 Edited by ShaggE (6453 posts) -

Far Cry 3 is the Far Cry 2 I always wanted. It's all in the details with this one... the Skyrim-like rewarding exploration, the perfect balance between travel and action (seriously, this island doesn't seem to waste a single square inch), the GTA-like stunting opportunities, the emergent moments that you can't wait to talk about later... the story's quite entertaining too, but the open-world stuff is where the brilliance lies.

I was sold during one of my first run-ins with a random patrol. I only had my starting pistol, and I ran out of ammo before killing the enemies. I tossed a grenade, ran off the nearest cliff in a panic, and landed in a lake. I quickly looked around and saw a flooded cave. I swam into it, surprised at how massive it was, and came out into a peaceful area on the other side with an innocent bystander watching me from the edge of the water. Downright idyllic looking. As I swam to land, the SECOND I reached the edge, a crocodile grabbed my leg (I almost jumped out of my chair) and nearly killed me. Fucking brilliant.

#56 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

This kinda seems like what I wanted out of AC3. Damnit, I really want to buy this game now... but I really don't want to pay full price. And Ubi's usually pretty inconsistent with their PC price drops. And I just spent way too much on all the sales last week. Oh, I just don't know.

#57 Posted by Tennmuerti (8100 posts) -

I'm just going to leave these here:

#58 Posted by DeathByWaffle (636 posts) -

@Tennmuerti: Oh SNAP

#59 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -
@ShaggE said:

Far Cry 3 is the Far Cry 2 I always wanted. It's all in the details with this one... the Skyrim-like rewarding exploration, the perfect balance between travel and action (seriously, this island doesn't seem to waste a single square inch), the GTA-like stunting opportunities, the emergent moments that you can't wait to talk about later... the story's quite entertaining too, but the open-world stuff is where the brilliance lies.

I was sold during one of my first run-ins with a random patrol. I only had my starting pistol, and I ran out of ammo before killing the enemies. I tossed a grenade, ran off the nearest cliff in a panic, and landed in a lake. I quickly looked around and saw a flooded cave. I swam into it, surprised at how massive it was, and came out into a peaceful area on the other side with an innocent bystander watching me from the edge of the water. Downright idyllic looking. As I swam to land, the SECOND I reached the edge, a crocodile grabbed my leg (I almost jumped out of my chair) and nearly killed me. Fucking brilliant.

:D
#60 Posted by UnrealDP (1222 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

I'm just going to leave these here:

Holy shit, I didn't think Ubisoft would have the balls to actually try the whole "You're in an animus" thing, but now I'm totally curious. Hoping if it's not that there's at least some weird crossover.

#61 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2992 posts) -

and it's only 50 bucks on steam which is nice, as the trend of 60 dollar launches of pc games has become a far too common sight.

#62 Posted by Dezztroy (794 posts) -

Vaas has to win character of the year. Everything about him is just spectacular.

#63 Posted by Tennmuerti (8100 posts) -

@UnrealDP said:

@Tennmuerti said:

I'm just going to leave these here:

Holy shit, I didn't think Ubisoft would have the balls to actually try the whole "You're in an animus" thing, but now I'm totally curious. Hoping if it's not that there's at least some weird crossover.

This is from a side mission, a collectors edition bonus missions at that. So it's 99% probably just a neat little crossover imo (i haven't finished the game yet but it seems highly unlikely; there would have been much more buzz about Farcry's 3 story direction otherwise)

Brody does however audibly remark: "hmm weird, i remember this sign from somewhere" (or something along those lines, i don't recall specifically)

#64 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: Like I said you cunt, I was trying to be of help. You cannot turn off UI elements, and since you were being SO insistent about it, I thought it would be a gamebreaker for you. you came back with some bullshit holier-than-thou reply about "black and white?" The fuck? And I shall continue to reply to you, since this is a fucking video game forum. You cunt.

#65 Posted by SlashDance (1815 posts) -
@Tennmuerti

@UnrealDP said:

@Tennmuerti said:

I'm just going to leave these here:

Holy shit, I didn't think Ubisoft would have the balls to actually try the whole "You're in an animus" thing, but now I'm totally curious. Hoping if it's not that there's at least some weird crossover.

This is from a side mission, a collectors edition bonus missions at that. So it's 99% probably just a neat little crossover imo (i haven't finished the game yet but it seems highly unlikely; there would have been much more buzz about Farcry's 3 story direction otherwise)

Brody does however audibly remark: "hmm weird, i remember this sign from somewhere" (or something along those lines, i don't recall specifically)

I WANT TO BELIEVE !
#66 Edited by UnrealDP (1222 posts) -

@SlashDance said:

@Tennmuerti

@UnrealDP said:

@Tennmuerti said:

I'm just going to leave these here:

Holy shit, I didn't think Ubisoft would have the balls to actually try the whole "You're in an animus" thing, but now I'm totally curious. Hoping if it's not that there's at least some weird crossover.

This is from a side mission, a collectors edition bonus missions at that. So it's 99% probably just a neat little crossover imo (i haven't finished the game yet but it seems highly unlikely; there would have been much more buzz about Farcry's 3 story direction otherwise)

Brody does however audibly remark: "hmm weird, i remember this sign from somewhere" (or something along those lines, i don't recall specifically)

I WANT TO BELIEVE !

THAT'D BE TOO RAD. I want to believe that I haven't heard anything like that because people want to keep it a delightful surprise..... siiiiigh, I REEEAAALLLY WANT TO BELIEVE

#67 Posted by TruthTellah (9074 posts) -

@UnrealDP said:

@SlashDance said:

@Tennmuerti

@UnrealDP said:

@Tennmuerti said:

I'm just going to leave these here:

Holy shit, I didn't think Ubisoft would have the balls to actually try the whole "You're in an animus" thing, but now I'm totally curious. Hoping if it's not that there's at least some weird crossover.

This is from a side mission, a collectors edition bonus missions at that. So it's 99% probably just a neat little crossover imo (i haven't finished the game yet but it seems highly unlikely; there would have been much more buzz about Farcry's 3 story direction otherwise)

Brody does however audibly remark: "hmm weird, i remember this sign from somewhere" (or something along those lines, i don't recall specifically)

I WANT TO BELIEVE !

THAT'D BE TOO RAD. I want to believe that I haven't heard anything like that because people want to keep it a delightful surprise..... siiiiigh, I REEEAAALLLY WANT TO BELIEVE

Online
#68 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

what mission is that? Or, I guess.. how far from the flamethrower mission is it?

#69 Posted by Tennmuerti (8100 posts) -

@murisan: It's one of the 2-3 early side missions from the digital delux edition (i assume in collectors also, and in some later separate DLC). You can play any of them as soon as you are given access to the open world. I haven't had a flamethrower missions yet, just met the tribal chick then went exploring some more.

#70 Posted by Xshinobi (385 posts) -

I will wait for a price drop.

#71 Posted by DelroyLindo (387 posts) -

my ps3 just died so im tempted to trade in all the games I have for it and pick this up

#72 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

So good.

Between Vaas and Hamdsome Jack, I'm going to have a hard time picking my favorite villain of 2012.

#73 Posted by Tennmuerti (8100 posts) -

This game is indeed great.

I have one big issue tho, well big to me anyway. The sound that occurs when you open the menu or the map, it sounds as if my speakers were blown out, which they are not everything else sounds perfect. This can even be heard in the QL. As someone who checks their map constantly for collectibles and for fast travel this makes me hear it all the damn time. It seems kind of a pithy complaint but for some reason this minor thing it is really driving me nuts. The more i try not to pay attention to it the more it annoys me.

#74 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I have not followed this game at all, but after the quick look I went out and bought it, installing to my PS3 now. I have an itch to play another game like this after Borderlands 2.

#75 Posted by Roger778 (957 posts) -

Sounds like an awesome game.

#76 Edited by Chaser324 (6544 posts) -

@ValiantGrizzly said:

So good. Between Vaas and Hamdsome Jack, I'm going to have a hard time picking my favorite villain of 2012.

Handsome Jack isn't even in that conversation in my opinion, but that might just be because I didn't think much of the humor in Borderlands 2 worked very well.

I haven't played Far Cry 3 yet, but I feel like Vaas probably is the best villian of the 2012. Haytham and Charles Lee from AC3 would share the runner-up position.

Moderator
#77 Posted by Relys (984 posts) -

@murisan said:

what mission is that? Or, I guess.. how far from the flamethrower mission is it?

The flamethrower mission has you burn down a weed farm while blasting Reggie dub-step.

#78 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I've played about an hour, this game is fantastic, I haven't touched the story missions yet, just having fun exploring.

FUCK SHARKS.

#79 Posted by GunstarRed (5182 posts) -

I had a bunch of issues with things to begin with, but the further and further I get into it the more amazing it gets. The story stuff really is the best stuff in the game. I don't think the stealth stuff works all that well though. everything is always fine and then it always ends up with me in a big gunfight regardless of how many times I sweep the base looking for guards.

The story missions are fucking fantastic though, really good setpieces, and oh man the animation in the faces and hands, it's the little details. The story stuff is amazingly good. I'm over ten hours in at this point and I have freed all of the top part of the island and am maybe half...bit more into the story(?) I started out lukewarm, about five hours warmed to it and now I LOVE it.

It is a bit frameratey and buggy though (360)

#80 Posted by Tennmuerti (8100 posts) -

@GunstarRed:

I've been stealthing almost every outpost, it's definitely doable. Just need to take your time marking out every guard, I usually do it from at least two positions to make sure some are not hiding somewhere (unless it's a very open camp). there are however some that are more difficult to get the undetected bonus on, early on it's the damn dogs that can sniff you, later it's the heavies. A lot of the time if I don't see a backstaby route to take a sniper rifle with a silencer can clear most outposts from a distance, or at least take out snipers on over watch before you go in. Heavies can be downed with mines, signature sniper rifle with explosive rounds, or a normal sniper to the exposed back of the head.

A small tip, if you really really want to get the juicy 1000xp bonus for taking an outpost undetected and screw up, just die, and the game will respawn you just outside of it before you went in. Secondly silenced sniper rifle can make it much much easier. Finally a tiger or a bear can really fuck up a lot of dudes for you (i prefer to kill as many as possible myself before releasing them this way they don't get gunned down by an entire camp)

Story missions however are mostly just stealth until you get detected then go guns blazing, very hard to fully stealth them, and kind of unnecessary. the stealth until you get caught approach feels great anyway.

#81 Edited by Tennmuerti (8100 posts) -

There is a very key piece of dialogue that I'm afraid a lot of people playing the game (non thoroughly) will miss out on. But it made me like the game about twice as much.

Small story spoilers (ill keep them to absolute minumum, it's not that spoilery anyway), this is a side conversation you can have probably 1/3 or halfway through the game:

Jason Brody asks his brothers girlfriend who is a professional swimmer, what it felt like to win, at the very moment she came first, she tells him, then he remarks that when he killed for the first time it felt wrong, which is a good thing right?, ... now it feels like winning.
#82 Edited by zenmastah (912 posts) -

So far Jason has been a hit and miss character for me, he goes from being a sissy to a total Rambo in a heartbeat it seems, but i guess he kinda has to..

Also the constant tutorial pop-ins are annoying as fuck, Ubi really wants you to know every single thing on the menus.

Totally agree what someone typed earlier that Vaas has got to win some awards on some events as the character of the year, so solid VA and writing so far.

The world itself is very immersive and fun and the sidestuffs are solid sidestuffs.

Definetly GOTY material, gonna be a tie with this and BL2 for me i think.

#83 Posted by Mister_V (1285 posts) -

Yeah this game is great. There is a lot of random stuff that happens that reminds me of skyrim. For instance me releasing a tiger into a camp of bad guys only for the tiger to ignore them completely and run away, and the come back when my buddies show up and kill them all.

#84 Posted by Panpipe (474 posts) -

The stealth is well done. There's no punishment for fucking up really, you just get less XP.

#85 Edited by Ares42 (2663 posts) -

Oh man.. just finished the game... one of the endings is.. something else. If you finish this game and find your ending to be sorta generic I recommend (I guess?) checking out the one you missed.

Overall the campaign has some really great Saints Row-style moments, but I'm unsure if they really meant it that way. The story itself seems to take itself somewhat seriously, but the stuff you do and how it's all presented is often just hilariously stupid.

Online
#86 Posted by Vigil80 (434 posts) -

Those of you that are pretty far along, does unlocking everything in the skill trees seem doable? Or do you have to pick something to lean toward?

#87 Posted by smcn (926 posts) -

@Vigil80 said:

Those of you that are pretty far along, does unlocking everything in the skill trees seem doable? Or do you have to pick something to lean toward?

You will max out the skill trees.

#88 Edited by Vigil80 (434 posts) -

@smcn: Thanks.

One of the things I enjoyed in Far Cry 2 was going back to the gun shop and thinking about how I would attack the next enemy hangout. Grave-silent spectre of life-taking? Or exploding world-destroyer? Good to know I don't have to spec myself out of those options. :D

#89 Posted by allworkandlowpay (874 posts) -

@Relys said:

@murisan said:

what mission is that? Or, I guess.. how far from the flamethrower mission is it?

The flamethrower mission has you burn down a weed farm while blasting Reggie dub-step.

FUCKING SOLD

#90 Posted by zenmastah (912 posts) -

@allworkandlowpay said:

@Relys said:

@murisan said:

what mission is that? Or, I guess.. how far from the flamethrower mission is it?

The flamethrower mission has you burn down a weed farm while blasting Reggie dub-step.

FUCKING SOLD

That dubstep was distracting as shit on that mission, did not fit at all imo.

#91 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@zenmastah said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

@Relys said:

@murisan said:

what mission is that? Or, I guess.. how far from the flamethrower mission is it?

The flamethrower mission has you burn down a weed farm while blasting Reggie dub-step.

FUCKING SOLD

That dubstep was distracting as shit on that mission, did not fit at all imo.

I thought it was perfect. But I can see where it'd get distracting.

#92 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4605 posts) -

@allworkandlowpay said:

@Relys said:

@murisan said:

what mission is that? Or, I guess.. how far from the flamethrower mission is it?

The flamethrower mission has you burn down a weed farm while blasting Reggie dub-step.

FUCKING SOLD

I don't know what Reggie dubstep sounds like, but I know that I want it.

#93 Posted by Tennmuerti (8100 posts) -

@murisan said:

@zenmastah said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

@Relys said:

@murisan said:

what mission is that? Or, I guess.. how far from the flamethrower mission is it?

The flamethrower mission has you burn down a weed farm while blasting Reggie dub-step.

FUCKING SOLD

That dubstep was distracting as shit on that mission, did not fit at all imo.

I thought it was perfect. But I can see where it'd get distracting.

Same here, i thought it fitted perfectly.

#94 Posted by GunstarRed (5182 posts) -

Finished the game earlier and I'm really conflicted about how I feel. The acting and story stuff is amazing, like really noteworthy. Vaas has to win best character on GB this year, what a fantastic character. And man, some of the other characters are really, really good, fantastic villains, and some really atmospheric/tense scenes with them.

So much to do in the game, and so many good setpiece moments... So why Ubisoft...WHY? is there the most frustrating instant fail state stealth sequence imaginable in your game. I got so stuck here I was considering not playing the game anymore, just a truly awful sequence where things could go differently every single time. It wouldn't have been half as bad if there was some kind of consistency in enemy behavior, especially when there is only one route to go.

Instant fail states in games need to be gone... I have run into issues with this with three Ubisoft titles this year.

#95 Posted by Pie (7099 posts) -

@Panpipe said:

The stealth is well done. There's no punishment for fucking up really, you just get less XP.

This here is one of the most impressive things about the game for me. In a year with some supposedly great stealth games such as hitman and dishonoured I have found myself enjoying the stealth in this more at times.

There are things I miss from FC2 like the degrading weapons, map and even though the story kinda sucked in FC2 (especially all the kinda dumb "dynamic storytelling") it is kind of disappointing to see that you are the chosen one who will save the people and feel like a complete badass whilst doing so. In Far Cry 2 everyone who wasn't a bad dude was a "buddy" whereas in this you seem to be the savior and looked upon as a great power.

So playing Far Cry 3 has made me appreciate the things Far Cry 2 did (or atleast tried to do) but at the same time it is one brilliant game by itself.

Also at the moment there don't seem to be many dudes to just fight in the world (especially after clearing some outposts), could someone say if that changes at all or if that's pretty much how it is pleasey

#96 Posted by GunstarRed (5182 posts) -

@Pie: Once you clear out an area it stays clear, so make sure you fill all skill requirements while you can if you want them all.

#97 Posted by PhilipDuck (548 posts) -

Yeah this game is my GOTY aswell been playing it 2 days straight! Can't stop playing, it's crazy that you just don't get bored of everything you can do on the island. I wouldn't worry about getting the 360 version guys, I installed it straight away and it hasn't had any problems, no lock ups or frame rate issues, well once the frame rate went a bit in a shop of all places :s but apart from that it has been perfect. 2012 deffo saved the best game till last! Only thing that is a bit crap are the extra downloadable content that come with special edition, the 'lost expedition' stuff that isn't great, basicly walk in a room shot people and collect data.. The main game is amazing though. :D

#98 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

Humans that reside within the states that are united in the continent of America should get this as soon as it is available.

Game is dope.

#99 Posted by geirr (2570 posts) -

It's alright.

#100 Posted by Pie (7099 posts) -

@GunstarRed said:

@Pie: Once you clear out an area it stays clear, so make sure you fill all skill requirements while you can if you want them all.

That's a bummer to hear. Say what you will about respawning enemies in FC2 but it meant you were never far from a good fight. Still a great game

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.